PDA

View Full Version : Vampire Counts vs. Ogre Kingdoms 2500 Dawn Attack

meowser
19-06-2012, 03:48
UPDATES:
1. army lists corrected

Just played an incredible game. Had to communicate. Unfortunately didn't take pics, sorry!

Ogre Kingdoms (m schaff)
-------------
Slaughtermaster (Fencer's Blades, Glittering Scales, Hellheart)

Bruiser (BSB, Rune Maw, Great Weapon)
Firebelly (Great Weapon)

~12+ Ironguts (FC, Standard of Discipline)

2 x 1 Sabretusks
8 Maneaters (Brace of Pistols, Sniper?, Poison)
4 Mournfang Cavalry (Ironfist, musician, standard bearer, Dragonhide Banner)

2 Ironblasters

Crypt Counts (meows0r)
------------

Strigoi Ghoul King (Red Fury, Beguile, Sword of Might, Dispel Scroll) [Invocation of Nehek]
Master Necromancer (Level 4 Wizard, Lore of the Vampires, Master of the Dead, Power Stone, Ironcurse Icon) [Invocation of Nehek, Vanhel's Danse Macabre, Hellish Vigor, Curse of Years]
{in retrospect, I should have gone, IoN, VDM, GoN, CoY, maybe even the vortex...}

Vampire (Lore of Shadow, Heavy Armour, Enchanted Shield, Warrior Bane, Cursed Book, Fear Incarnate) {Pit of Shades!}

22 Skeleton Warriors (Full Command, the Screaming Banner)
21 Zombies (musician)
33 Ghouls (Ghast)
2 x 5 Dire Wolves

3 x 1 Spirit Hosts
2 x 2 Fell Bats
8 Crypt Horrors

2 Varghulfs
1 Terrorgheist

Terrain:
- Forests on left side of board, closet to bottom dep zone
- Hill above top left forest
- Forest in bottom right dep zone
- Building, Impassable (Sinister Statue that did nothing of note), and some barricades above right forest, generally making my movement difficult

OK Deployment: [semi-random due to Dawn Attack mission]
- he chooses top
- 1 Ironblaster on right, 1 on left
- Maneaters and Mournfang on left
- Deathstar with all chars in middle
- Sabretusks here and there

VC Deployment:
- Both Varghulgs left facing down ME and MF, with 1 bat unit
- everything else bunched up in mid-right, horrors closest to action

OK Turn 1:
---
MOVEMENT:
- Everything pushes forward full speed
- ME put themself in range for 13" charge from both VG
- MF and 1 tusk poised to counter-charge VG, but not if i break and overrun then

MAGIC:
- ~8-5, we all consistently had magic in this range all game
- wounds the bats redirecting MF and a host

SHOOTING:
- 1st Ironblaster puts 2 wounds on Terrorgheist
- 2nd Ironblaster aims at TG through skels (inc. vamp char!) and 1 horror. Vamp fails LOS! and DIES! So much for the pit of shades, cursed book and hexing the heck out of that deathstar! (Not to mention the ME and MF...) Horror luckily only takes 2 wounds from cannon and TG lives to fight another day.

VC Turn 1:
---

MOVEMENT:
- Both VG charge maneaters. One fails needing a 5+; not good...
- TG moves up to scream at right Ironblaster
- Bats move to redirect MF and block them from overrunning into VG
- Hosts and dogs start moving around to redirect
- I try to prepare my lines, pushing horrors back a bit
- my other blocks are a mess, with the ghouls on far right blocked from action by zombs and skels. The buildings and statue, plus ghouls' lack of musician, make them stuck in the back lines most of the game.

MAGIC:
- I get off a 5 dice Curse of Years on the deathstar. No chars take wounds, and only 2 wounds are done to Ironguts (and 1 more to champ). I use lore attribute to heal a wound on the Terrorgheist
- With 3-0 I fail a 12" invocation needing 8+...

SHOOTING:
- TG rolls boxcars and wipes out the Ironblaster no. 1

COMBAT:
- Varghulf does decent, doing 3-4 wounds and taking 2 back, ME hold on steadfast

OK Turn 2:
---

MOVEMENT:
- Deathstar plods forward, possibly charging chaff in it's wake
- MF charge bats, unable to flank VG

MAGIC:
- I let him put +1T on deathstar and flamecage on skels, no dmg from flame cage on skels get through, nothing else of note (other than dispelling CoY)

SHOOTING:
- Remaining IB puts another 2 wounds on Terrorgheist

COMBAT:
- VG fluffs and dies to ME

VC Turn 2:
---

MOVEMENT:
- No charges
- Hosts line up to slow down Ironguts
- Horrors inch back
- Remaining VG could have charges ME or MF, but take counter-charge. Rather, I move out of charge arc and threaten MF, ME, and ST
- My blocks shuffle incoherently
- TG flies over to scream at next Ironblaster

MAGIC:
- nothing gets through

SHOOTING:
- TG semi-whiffs his scream and only puts 3 wounds on Ironblaster

COMBAT:
- chaff dies

OK Turn 3:

MOVEMENT:
- Ironblaster tries to run from TG
- Maneaters reform to deal with TG
- Mournfang move up to harass horror's flank (but not even in middle of board yet, and horrors are in right 3rd)
- Sabretusk blocks and sets up redirect on varghulf

MAGIC:
- another flame cage on skels I let through
- nothing else of note

SHOOTING:
- TG regenerates the cannonball to his face! woo!
- Maneaters put 1 more wound on TG, leaving him on 1...

COMBAT:
- Deathstar munches some chaff, overruns into another host, and then will overrun into my skeletons after that... SO IT BEGINS!

VC Turn 3:

MOVEMENT:
- The varghulf gets really lucky, and his redirecting sabretusk actually lets me charge the mournfang on a fairly far (13+) charge where i just clip 1 model. Perfect!
- Terrorgheist charges the Ironblaster, just in case his 2d6+1 scream whiffs
- I try and brace for the impact of the Deathstar

MAGIC:
- I get of Curse of Years, and this is where my opponent tells me about Rune Maw. I get over how OP rune maw is for ogres and put it on a tusk (where it does a wound!)
- Vanhels on horrors to push them back and try and scare deathstar away
- To get in range of horrors, necro jumps into ghouls

SHOOTING:
- TG obliterates other ironblaster. Overruns to get out of maneater charge arc.

COMBAT:
- Varghulf kills a mournfang, wins combat by 1 or 2, and they are not steadfast due to being in a forest! He chases them down!
- Deathstar kills a host and overruns into skeletons. By this point, the champ has 1 wound left

OK Turn 4:
---

MOVEMENT:
- Dogs redirect horrors so they cant overrun into deathstar
- Maneaters wheel to face TG

MAGIC:
- He flame cages the horrors, which I let through. Everything else shut down.

SHOOTING:
- Maneaters fail to kill TG!

COMBAT:
- Skeletons kill IG champ, they are wiped out to a man, overrun into ghouls

VC Turn 4:
---

MOVEMENT:
- horrors into dog, flame cage, doesnt do much
- TG moves up to scream at ME

MAGIC:
- Nothing gets off, or this is when i found out about rune maw trying a last-stand Curse of years

SHOOTING:
- TG rolls snakeyes for scream. Nice knowing ya, buddy.

COMBAT:
- Ghoul King Challenges, Slaughtermaster accepts. They trade wounds (I'm hitting him on 5s, wounding on 3s, he hits on 3s, wounds on 5s), i get 4 hits through on first round and roll 3 1's to wound...
- Ironguts obliterate ghouls, who do kill a bit of RNF. All that is left standing is Ghoul King on 2 wounds...
- Horrors reform after combat to face flank of deathstar

OK Turn 5:
---

So this is it. Ghoul King's last stand. Can he do it?

MAGIC:
- 8-6 or so. My L1 vs his L4. He 4-dices +1T; i dispell it on 6. he gets +1S off, and I scroll it (i had almost used to stop flame cages earlier, but I'm SO GLAD i saved it. I had a feeling stopping a buff on the deathstar would be its best use)
- Shutting down his magic here is very pivotal

SHOOTING:
- Maneaters kills TG with poison pistols.

COMBAT:
- BSB accepts SGK's challenge. SGK does 6 wounds afer overkill, loses 1 wound from musician (now with 1 wound left)

VC Turn 5:
---

MOVEMENT:
- Spirit Host charges wounded Sabretusk in the flank
- Varghulf charges Maneater's rear

MAGIC:
- 6v6
- I 6-dice invocation with SGK getting 21, and he fails to dispel! I heal 2 on SGK (he is solo model so 1 from IoN, 1 from lore attribute) and 1 (should have been 2!) on Horrors. This was rather huge

COMBAT:
- SGK challenges, BSB accepts
- SGK does ~6 total wounds to BSB after Red Fury
- Horrors do ~3 wounds to IG
- IG and Firebelly put ~2 wounds on Horrors
- Ironguts hold on steadfast 8

OK Turn 6
---

COMBAT:
- Firebelly declines SGK's challenge
- SGK does every possible wound, putting 10 wounds on ironguts!
- 1 Irongut fails Beguile test, the two in btb put 1 wound on SGK
- Horrors put 5 wounds on Ironguts
- Ironguts put a wound on Horrors
- Ironguts are no longer steadfast since Horrors have a full 2nd rank by 1 wound! They fail their snakeyes test and are chased down by horrors!

So the game is still sinking in for me. Will update with post-game thoughts once this one has simmered.

TL;DR: Ghoul King molests Irongut Deathstar.

w3rm
19-06-2012, 18:13
What else was in your army? You only have the charcters listed.

meowser
19-06-2012, 21:41
What else was in your army? You only have the charcters listed.

Updated main post. Really wish I had taken pictures!

Mikael.K
20-06-2012, 13:58
If I remember it correctly, you cant heal characters with IoN, but you can use the lore attribute to do it :). Correct me if im wrong :). Nice battle, really entertaining and easy to read. Thanks for putting it up!

meowser
20-06-2012, 17:00
If I remember it correctly, you cant heal characters with IoN, but you can use the lore attribute to do it :). Correct me if im wrong :). Nice battle, really entertaining and easy to read. Thanks for putting it up!

My pleasure! After reading over the 'Raising Fallen Warriors' section at the start of the VC bestiary, I'm pretty sure I was in the right in this instance. The ghoul king was a lone model, so he could be healed by IoN up to his starting wounds. If there were any ghouls left, they would have been raised instead of healing wounds on SGK, but the unit had been wiped out, so ghoul's couldn't have been raised.

Anyone with me on Rune Maw banner being insanely OP for ogres?

Maoriboy007
20-06-2012, 21:09
Runemaw isn't too bad really, it would be a nice balance if it affected friendly spells as well, its also a bone thrown in the direction of their vulnerability to initiative based doom spells, not that similarly vulnerable armies received any such niceties.
Hellheart Ironblasters and Mournfangs? Now they're broken.

Far2Casual
22-06-2012, 10:58
My pleasure! After reading over the 'Raising Fallen Warriors' section at the start of the VC bestiary, I'm pretty sure I was in the right in this instance. The ghoul king was a lone model, so he could be healed by IoN up to his starting wounds. If there were any ghouls left, they would have been raised instead of healing wounds on SGK, but the unit had been wiped out, so ghoul's couldn't have been raised.

Last part : "Unless specifically stated otherwise, spells and magic items that restore lost Wounds cannot heal characters or their mounts". There's nothing in IoN that "specifically states otherwise" as opposed to the lore attribute (and even then, it's pretty unclear imo, unless your character is the wizard that casted the spell - we're waiting for months for a FAQ about that now).

meowser
22-06-2012, 18:47
Last part : "Unless specifically stated otherwise, spells and magic items that restore lost Wounds cannot heal characters or their mounts". There's nothing in IoN that "specifically states otherwise" as opposed to the lore attribute (and even then, it's pretty unclear imo, unless your character is the wizard that casted the spell - we're waiting for months for a FAQ about that now).

Ahh right, good point. Well for what it was worth, GK was never down to 1 wound after that, so wouldn't have affected outcome.

thrawn
25-06-2012, 14:22
good battle report.

vampires did the same too me. killed almost his whole army with shooting (chaos dwarfs) and then one his vampire got into combat with about a dozen grave guard and wiped out my whole army. red fury is WAY TOO GOOD for only 50 points!

Bra'tac
25-06-2012, 14:44
Slaughtermaster (Fencer's Blades, Glittering Scales, Hellheart)

magic gear is 110 pts... Not sure if cheating or honest mistake or typo ;)

Nice report even without pics!!

Cheers,

Bra'tac

meowser
25-06-2012, 15:34
good battle report.

vampires did the same too me. killed almost his whole army with shooting (chaos dwarfs) and then one his vampire got into combat with about a dozen grave guard and wiped out my whole army. red fury is WAY TOO GOOD for only 50 points!

Did you have any combat nasties? K'daii? Bull Centaurs?

I don't see the Bale Taurus and Fireborn very often in batreps. Have you given them any whirls?

magic gear is 110 pts... Not sure if cheating or honest mistake or typo ;)

Nice report even without pics!!

Cheers,

Bra'tac

Thanks! Didn't notice the gear violation; don't know costs of OK items. Hellheart may have been on Firebelly instead. SM definitely had the GS/FB combo (I hate how in the fact they don't hard remove their options for magic armour, and just say 'well it's not in the spirit of the design'). As if your T5 W5 wizard who can get wounds back isn't resilient enough :P (Also, my ghoul king is just plain ol' jealous!)

m1acca1551
04-07-2012, 20:52
Nice batrep, well done always nice to see vc score another victory :)

To the chappy who said red fury is op for 50pts its not really... only when taken with the other items does it start to become op... but then again for the total cost of a blender lord... he should bloody well be op :p