PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Lizardmen - Criticism Is Appreciated!

Brolaski
19-06-2012, 05:52
1 Slann Mage-Priest
General; 2 Discipline; Magic Level 4; Lore of Life; Battle Standard;
Miscast Table
# Focus of Mystery
# Focused Rumination
Banner of the Eternal Flame
Dragonbane Gem

1 Skink Priest
Magic Level 1; Lore of Heaven
Dispel Scroll
Dawn Stone
Ancient Stegadon with Engine of the Gods

25 Saurus Warriors
Shield; Standard; Musician

25 Saurus Warriors
Shield; Standard; Musician

26 Temple Guard
Shield; Full Comm. (Champ has Ironcurse Icon)

1 Salamander Hunting Packs
4 Skink Handlers

15 Skink Skirmishers

So what does everyone think? Some concerns I have...
() Should I combine my two saurus warrior blocks into one big 40 block?
() Are 15 Skinks even worth taking?
() Is one slamander worth taking?

Any info you can give on my list and on lizardmen in general would be greatly appreciated as I am new to these likable lizards :)

Ultimate Life Form
19-06-2012, 06:05
() Should I combine my two saurus warrior blocks into one big 40 block?

No. Nononononono. Like, no. Seeing things, you'll already be heavily outnumbered on the battlefield and you'll absolutely need every unit at your disposal.
Besides, Saurus Warriors are reasonably tough and can soak up tons of damage. I usually run 20 and it's not unheard of for some to survive the game despite the enemy's best efforts to whittle them away. 25 should be absolutely perfect. 40 is unwieldy.

() Are 15 Skinks even worth taking?

Any number of Skinks is worth taking. Their dreaded poisoned blowpipe double shot is their greatest asset and one of the most devious things in the game. Many mighty monsters have fallen because they made the mistake of underestimating them and didn't perceive them as a threat. Basically if you have no armor save to speak of you're fair game.

() Is one slamander worth taking?

Well, it's not perfect, but better than nothing. Just use it very carefully. The Salamander's value doesn't lie in the damage it deals anyway but rather in the automatic panic tests it causes, and a single wound is perfectly enough. Even a single Salamander is a threat the enemy cannot ignore.

Moss
19-06-2012, 06:55
I agree with everything that guy just said, except that salamanders don't auto-panic units (I think that's the flame cannon, maybe?).

I would drop the gem and banner on the slann and get the +1 leadership banner.

I don't really care for the EotG in general, but I understand that sometimes you just want to use the thing. I can just think of so many things I can use with those 450ish points (cowboy scar-vet, chameleon skinks, more salamanders).

I usually run my saurus and temple guard in rows of six. I recommend running your units of saurus at 24. If you drop one from each, I think you might be able to have two units of ten skinks instead of one big unit of 15.

I thought TG champs could only take magic weapons or armor, but could be wrong on that. I would doublecheck that if I were you.

Ultimate Life Form
19-06-2012, 07:01
Unless they FAQ'd it out, which I don't see at the moment, it does.

Moss
19-06-2012, 07:16
Then I retract that statement. Not sure how I missed that while playing LM all these years. Maybe they just always caused so many wounds that they caused panic tests anyway. Regardless, my bad.

Ultimate Life Form
19-06-2012, 07:20
It's buried in the very last line of the shooting rules, so easy to miss. Many people seem to miss this. Bad writing in my opinion. However a very handy thing! :p

EcoWarrior
19-06-2012, 10:53
not enough chaff to keep people off your small units

Whaagnomore
19-06-2012, 11:51
Since you field a LoL Slann and a priest on EoTG you should consider using the forbidden rod, it can give a healthy advantage in pd and the Slann is awesome at soaking/healing up the wounds taken from it.

Moss
19-06-2012, 16:33
One more thing I would suggest is taking Cupped Hands on the Slann. I realize you're running Lore of Life, but there really isn't any guarantee that you're going to get throne off. You're going to want that extra miscast protection. You really can't afford to lose out on a magic phase because you miscast on your first spell.

And if you're going to take that many saurus, I would consider taking Lore of Light. It compliments them really well.

Brolaski
21-06-2012, 04:28
Thank you for all the comments! One question, what would you do to free up some points? Take away X unit? Change a discipline?

Moss
21-06-2012, 06:31
As I see it, your choices are to drop a unit of saurus or drop the EotG. If you drop the saurus, I would definitely bump the remaining unit to 30, just to make sure it doesn't go anywhere.