PDA

View Full Version : Targetting different base sizes in units.

Sedge
19-06-2012, 11:30
Hi Warsser gentlemen,
Quick rules query.

Last night I played against my mates Empire army and he had a warrior preist on horse in a unit of Demi-griff. I shot at the character with a cannon and managed to hit him.

The question is does he qualify for a Look Out Sir?

now the look out sir rule that i beleieve we applied to my warrior priest that had joins the demi griffs when being shot by ure cannon (p.97) is under the title 'shooting at lone characters', since he had joined a unit even though it had a different base size he forms a combined unit (p.99) and isnt a lone character. under the unusual shooting attacks part of p.99 i beleive that i should have recieved a '2+ 'look out sir' because i had a rank of monstrous cav in the unit, (counting as 5 rank and file)

I was under the opinion that you had to have the same base size to recieve a look out sir save.

WHat rule should we have applied and why?

Thanks all.

Yamabushi
19-06-2012, 11:51
Base size has nothing to do with Look Out Sir in 8th. What you are looking for is Unit Type.

A mounted Warrior Priest has the unit type Cavalry. The unit of Demigryphs are unit type Monstrous Cavalry. As such, the WP does not get any Look Out Sir at all due to the differing Unit Types.

Hope that helps.

Mr_Rose
19-06-2012, 11:54
To receive a "Look Out Sir!" save you must either be inside, or within 3" of, a unit with the same troop type as the character. Base size is irrelevant.
Since Cavalry and Monstrous Cavalry are different troop types, your priest should not have received a LOS! roll unless he was also somehow within 3" of a unit of regular cavalry and, even then, ir would have been at the reduced chance described on p.97 rather than the much better one on p.99.

Sedge
19-06-2012, 12:28
Thanks Gents, I though I was playing it right but in the heat of battle you forget exactly where in the rulebook you read all these rules.

theunwantedbeing
19-06-2012, 12:28
WHat rule should we have applied and why?

The correct one you can find in the rulebook.

Sedge
19-06-2012, 13:06
Sarcasm? Really?

I am aware that this rule is in the book. Last night I didn't have the time to find the rule and the question was asked on our club forum this morning. In the absense of my rule book (I'm at work) I thought I would politly ask if anyone knew the answer. The other posters on this thread were polite enough to find the page number and paraphrase the relevant sections.

theunwantedbeing
19-06-2012, 13:18
Last night I didn't have the time to find the rule and the question was asked on our club forum this morning.

Yet you had time to actually play a game :rolleyes:

Sedge
19-06-2012, 14:47
When we played we got the rule mistaken with the lone character rule. I bit of cross purposes on the rules at the time. Anyway we moved on to not get bogged down but it did cause a unit to panic. After the fact we were discussing the rules on our club forum and as I didn't have the rule book I though I would just ask.

Anyway nuff said.

AMWOOD co
19-06-2012, 22:59
Okay, now this may just be my ignorance speaking -- I still haven't read the Empire book -- but CAN a Warrior Priest actually join a unit of demi-griffs (ie. a Flying unit - refer to p97, What Unit Can I Join? paragraph 2)? I know it isn't what the OP is asking, but the scenario seems illegal to me.

Lord Inquisitor
19-06-2012, 23:19
but CAN a Warrior Priest actually join a unit of demi-griffs (ie. a Flying unit - refer to p97, What Unit Can I Join? paragraph 2)?
If demi-griffs could fly, this would indeed be illegal (in the same way as a bretonnian lord on a pegasus can't join a unit of pegasus knights). However, demi-griffs are sadly lacking in the wing department, and cannot fly.

AMWOOD co
19-06-2012, 23:47
If demi-griffs could fly, this would indeed be illegal (in the same way as a bretonnian lord on a pegasus can't join a unit of pegasus knights). However, demi-griffs are sadly lacking in the wing department, and cannot fly.

So it was my ignorance. Thanks Lord Inquisitor.