PDA

View Full Version : Multiplying AND Adding characteristics.

Sinsigel
19-06-2012, 13:24
The question came up when I was reading SoM book, lore of beasts section.
Its dominance spell 'Merciw's Monstrous Regiment' doubles Strength, Toughness Attacks of all non-character models in a unit.
How does this interact with wyssan's wildform for instance?

Does it follow the order of casting, i.e.
1) +1S to already doubled strength when wyssan's wildform is cast AFTER Merciw's Monstrous Regiment
2) Double the boosted strength when wyssan's wildform was cast BEFORE Merciw's Monstrous Regiment?
So for instance, S3 models will have S7 if we follow 1), or S8 if we follow 2).
I would be glad to hear any advice.

GiraffeCrab
19-06-2012, 13:31
myself and my friends have always played it as double the stat then add any other bonuses regardless of the order in which you cast any spells or add any wargear etc. thus id say S3 would go to S7

Sarge.au
19-06-2012, 15:42
Could be either way really, but I'd be inclined to play it as you resolve the spells in the order they were cast.

The bearded one
19-06-2012, 15:53
This has never been properly answered but the standard GW has set in FAQs is the very silly "player who's turn it is decides" solution. The dwarf rune of might doubles strength against opponents with T5 or more, but combined with the rune of cleaving (+1 strength) it is unclear wether it becomes str9 or str10. According to the FAQ, the player who's turn it is decides, which is a pretty ridiculous answer to be honest.

Q. If a runic weapon is inscribed with both the Rune of Might and
the Rune of Cleaving and is used against a T5+ enemy, is the
Strength of the attack resolved at S9 or S10? (p44)
A. The player whose turn is taking place chooses the order in
which the runes are applied.

hamsterwheel
19-06-2012, 17:01
I would be inclined to go with GiraffeCrab's advice to double and then add. For some odd reason when I played 40k I recall reading a rule that stated multiply and then add which could come up with powerfist/furious charge combo.

Mr. Shine
19-06-2012, 23:56
The FAQ answer given above supports that bonuses are applied in order of casting.

The bearded one
20-06-2012, 00:04
The FAQ answer given above supports that bonuses are applied in order of casting.

how do you figure that? The FAQ answers actually supports a totally different solution (player who's turn it is decides in what order they are applied)

Mr. Shine
20-06-2012, 01:31
how do you figure that? The FAQ answers actually supports a totally different solution (player who's turn it is decides in what order they are applied)

In the FAQ answer both runes are present simultaneously, with bonuses applied cumulatively one after the other at the discretion of the player whose turn it is. That to me suggests that bonuses are applied cumulatively in order of casting (where an order is applicable, otherwise at the player's discretion as in the FAQ).

Lord Inquisitor
20-06-2012, 01:44
I've always played it multiply then add. Where am I getting it from... It's a rule in 40k isn't it?

Mr. Shine
20-06-2012, 01:52
I've always played it multiply then add. Where am I getting it from... It's a rule in 40k isn't it?

I believe it is, with some exceptions. But seemingly not in Fantasy?

VoidWarrior
20-06-2012, 02:10
Do any multiplying first, then add on bonuses, that's how maths works afterall with multiplications coming before additions

Mr. Shine
20-06-2012, 03:08
Do any multiplying first, then add on bonuses, that's how maths works afterall with multiplications coming before additions

Only within the same equation.

Glen_Savet
20-06-2012, 05:09
I think this is pretty straight forward. If you cast the spell to multiply first, you'd multiply first. If you cast the spell to add first, you'd add first.