PDA

View Full Version : Lone characters in a challenge

Clockwork
23-06-2012, 12:17
Winning a challenge is great, right? But if you beat the opponent before he gets to attack, does your victorious hero get face-stomped by the enemy unit if he's flying solo?

Lets take an example I've been number crunching. A Dark Elf Master runs into a unit of Chaos Knights. Equipment (or sense...) doesn't necessarily matter here. For added complication, lets say he goes into the flank. The Master doesn't issue a challenge as he wants to attack the unit, but the Knights have a Champion in the middle of the front rank, and according to the FAQ they must issue challenges if possible.

So they do, the Master must accept, and he whips around to the front of the unit to be in base contact with the Champion.

First question: assuming the Master surivives, would he still get the +1 CR for flank charge (Even though he is now in the front)?

The duel is fought in initiative order. The Master has, say, the Sword of Might so he goes first and gets lucky - killing the Champion before he can attack.

What happens now? As the combat is fought in iniaitiave order, the Master has made his attacks and the Champion is dead - thus ending the challenge - can the rest of the unit now attack him? Or is he still considered in a challenge for the rest of the turn and thus ineligible to attack?

Lets say the Master is on a Chariot. The Chariot's impact hits go against the unit, the Master then kills the Champion - are the crew considered locked into the challenge, or are they now free to attack the unit and vice-versa?

Lets assume that the Master doesn't kill the Champion, but is killed himself. The Chariot crew doesn't kill the Champion, either. Can the chariot now be attacked by the unit?

And finally, what would difference would there be - if any - if the character was riding a monster, such as in this example a Manticore or a Dreadlord on a Black Dragon? Presumably the Thunderstomp is directed against the unit.

Thanks for your help! I did run a few searches but couldn't find any answers to theese questions.

BaSe
23-06-2012, 13:11
Once in a challenge that challenge is seperate. If u kill the enemy sweet, and no other attacks can be targeted on the hero that round. CR for flank would also stand. Good way to win a combat.

As far as being on a monster. I believe if you killed the champ you would effectively loose your thunderstomp as it could only of been used on the challenge.

T10
23-06-2012, 19:32
Winning a challenge is great, right? But if you beat the opponent before he gets to attack, does your victorious hero get face-stomped by the enemy unit if he's flying solo?

Lets take an example I've been number crunching. A Dark Elf Master runs into a unit of Chaos Knights. Equipment (or sense...) doesn't necessarily matter here. For added complication, lets say he goes into the flank. The Master doesn't issue a challenge as he wants to attack the unit, but the Knights have a Champion in the middle of the front rank, and according to the FAQ they must issue challenges if possible.

So they do, the Master must accept, and he whips around to the front of the unit to be in base contact with the Champion.

First question: assuming the Master surivives, would he still get the +1 CR for flank charge (Even though he is now in the front)?

The duel is fought in initiative order. The Master has, say, the Sword of Might so he goes first and gets lucky - killing the Champion before he can attack.

What happens now? As the combat is fought in iniaitiave order, the Master has made his attacks and the Champion is dead - thus ending the challenge - can the rest of the unit now attack him? Or is he still considered in a challenge for the rest of the turn and thus ineligible to attack?

Lets say the Master is on a Chariot. The Chariot's impact hits go against the unit, the Master then kills the Champion - are the crew considered locked into the challenge, or are they now free to attack the unit and vice-versa?

Lets assume that the Master doesn't kill the Champion, but is killed himself. The Chariot crew doesn't kill the Champion, either. Can the chariot now be attacked by the unit?

And finally, what would difference would there be - if any - if the character was riding a monster, such as in this example a Manticore or a Dreadlord on a Black Dragon? Presumably the Thunderstomp is directed against the unit.

Thanks for your help! I did run a few searches but couldn't find any answers to theese questions.

The character that accepts the challenge is moved into contact with the challenger, but only if this is possible. It can be argued that the character is not permitted to move from the flank to the front: After all, a combat reform is the only real instance of moving units in close combat and the unit is not allowed to reform to get into contact with a different side.

It seems to me that the Master should remain on the flank and the challenge fought AS IF the two models were in contact.

The challenge supposedly ends when one of the models are killed. It seems to be commonly accepted that the two fighters cannot attack, or be attacked by, other models in the turn they fight in a challenge. As far as this holds true it should answer any questions regarding surviving mounts/crew and later attacks such as thunderstomps.

The challenge involves the entire model, including crew and steeds/mounts. In 7th ed. the chariot crew simply did not fight, but I'm not aware of any such rule in 8th ed.