PDA

View Full Version : Can bows be in range on turn one?

itty_bitty_pieces
25-06-2012, 14:17
Guys,

Can bows (range 24") be in range on turn one of a pitched battle (armies 24" apart) assuming each player deploys as close to the start of their deployment zone as possible?

Seems like a silly question, but for years we've been playing that they were not in range - and this was never contested until recently.

I've never really thought about it, but I guess our reasoning was the enemy needs to be within 24" not at 24"

Old editions may be clouding our judgement (e.g. handguns used to get an extra D6 range on their first shot... perhaps to mitigate an enemy deployed just out of range...?)

I let the chap who contested this way of thinking have his shots (and he missed) but it did get me thinking...

What are your thoughts guys? Any rules references that may help?

Memnos
25-06-2012, 14:33
Guys,

Can bows (range 24") be in range on turn one of a pitched battle (armies 24" apart) assuming each player deploys as close to the start of their deployment zone as possible?

Seems like a silly question, but for years we've been playing that they were not in range - and this was never contested until recently.

I've never really thought about it, but I guess our reasoning was the enemy needs to be within 24" not at 24"

Old editions may be clouding our judgement (e.g. handguns used to get an extra D6 range on their first shot... perhaps to mitigate an enemy deployed just out of range...?)

I let the chap who contested this way of thinking have his shots (and he missed) but it did get me thinking...

What are your thoughts guys? Any rules references that may help?

Measure it physically. If the tape measure touches the other model, it can hit it. If it doesn't, it can't.

Theoretically, on a standard board of 72*48, getting exactly 24" should be impossible. Even the best person should be outside a few millimeters when laying down. realistically, the board won't be exactly 48" and people will measure incorrectly when making the board or putting their models down. If you're worried about it, set up half an inch back.

Askari
25-06-2012, 14:37
In Battleline, it says players must be deployed more than 12" from the center line. Infact, every mission states the "more than x" clause.

In which case more than 12" + more than 12" can't possibly equal 24".

Now, someone may come along and state that 12.000.....00 and 12.000.....01 are mathematically the same, or whatever the same argument was last time I saw it, but that's getting around it a bit.

T10
25-06-2012, 14:38
This varies from scenario to scenario. Read the scenario text.

These mean the same thing. The minimum distance is within range of a 24" shot:

- At least 24"
- 24" or more

If it is more than 24" then the minimum distance is outside range of a 24" shot.

-T10

itty_bitty_pieces
25-06-2012, 14:59
Ah I didn't realise the scenario rules said "more than 12" away" - I thought it was "at least 12" away" (I don't have my rulebook on me to confirm)

wilsongrahams
25-06-2012, 23:40
Bear in mind that if you disallow it and then want to make a charge that requires you to have moved exactly 24" since you started the game then your opponent could well say you have cheated somehow if he could not measure exactly 24" to you at the start.

If deploying on the line, which has no thickness, then measured correctly at deployment he should just be able to reach your troops, as you will fall on the 24" mark and not at 23 3/4" etc. In most cases, to avoid this, I tend to deploy just behind the lines even when wanting to be up to the line.

Also remember that you are playing for fun, and in most cases it is always better to give up to 1/4" than to argue over every measurement. It depends of course if the same courtesy is being shown to you.

Askari
26-06-2012, 07:22
Bear in mind that if you disallow it and then want to make a charge that requires you to have moved exactly 24" since you started the game then your opponent could well say you have cheated somehow if he could not measure exactly 24" to you at the start.

If deploying on the line, which has no thickness, then measured correctly at deployment he should just be able to reach your troops, as you will fall on the 24" mark and not at 23 3/4" etc.

Unless it definitively says "more than 12" away from the centre"... like it does.

thesoundofmusica
26-06-2012, 08:01
Idd. Would help alot if ppl actually read the thread before responding.

T10
26-06-2012, 09:26
Idd. Would help alot if ppl actually read the thread before responding.

And it would be nice if people bothered to write before clicking "Post".

Sorry, I meant to say: &gr8 if ppl txt mro b4 clx lol

itty_bitty_pieces
26-06-2012, 10:39

If deploying on the line, which has no thickness, then measured correctly at deployment he should just be able to reach your troops, as you will fall on the 24" mark and not at 23 3/4" etc. In most cases, to avoid this, I tend to deploy just behind the lines even when wanting to be up to the line.

Also remember that you are playing for fun, and in most cases it is always better to give up to 1/4" than to argue over every measurement. It depends of course if the same courtesy is being shown to you.

Very good point. We're not ******* players at all so it never comes down to the nitty gritty like that. You're right - it's much better to "do unto others" :)

My question was just about the first turn and now I realise the mission says "more than 12" from the centre"

For charges, we always say something like: "The distance is just over 10 inches so that's an 11 inch charge"

thesoundofmusica
26-06-2012, 12:13
And it would be nice if people bothered to write before clicking "Post".

Sorry, I meant to say: &gr8 if ppl txt mro b4 clx lol

Haha yes I'm sorry. Been online for too long I guess although to be fair I think idd (indeed) and ppl (people) are easy to make out. Yours is abit harder =P

Glen_Savet
26-06-2012, 14:48
I had no idea what idd meant. I thought you were bringing random moon tongues into the conversation.