PDA

View Full Version : Return of thr squats, yes squats

RanaldLoec
28-06-2012, 22:06
Pg 405 in the new rule book while listing known active abhuman species one finds

Squats (homo sapiens rotundus)

There back baby the fat little bearded boys are back.

Vepr
28-06-2012, 22:10
Tyranids have been nerfed so hard in the twig and berries that they regurgitated the squats... :p

GodlessM
28-06-2012, 22:35
Tyranids have been nerfed so hard in the twig and berries that they regurgitated the squats... :p

I love how Nid players, who have suffered long with a crap army, have finally gotten a huge boost with the new edition and they still think they got nerfed. Surely you guys aren't that used to complaining?

Vepr
28-06-2012, 22:43
I love how Nid players, who have suffered long with a crap army, have finally gotten a huge boost with the new edition and they still think they got nerfed. Surely you guys aren't that used to complaining?

I was talking about last edition but this edition is still up in the air until the FAQ/Errata comes out. So far we have buffs and nerfs and it looks like we might be just staying average which is fine. Also I wouldn't say we have suffered long with a crap army. Tyranids were not bad in 2nd through 4th and we are not really even truly "bad" in 5th just boring, lackluster, and lacking mech compared to the other 5th edition codicies.

Veteran Sergeant
28-06-2012, 23:24
Pg 405 in the new rule book while listing known active abhuman species one finds

Squats (homo sapiens rotundus)

There back baby the fat little bearded boys are back.
Do you have a screenshot of this page? If it's true, that's awesome.

Charax
28-06-2012, 23:26
I love you, OP, you have brought such joy into my life. Also a photo would be great

big squig
28-06-2012, 23:28

Really? It's looking pretty grim for nids in 6th IMO.

DeviantApostle
28-06-2012, 23:29
So far we have buffs and nerfs and it looks like we might be just staying average which is fine.

If twin linked Hive Guard don't light some sort of fire, there's something seriously wrong dude.

Sotek
28-06-2012, 23:30
LoL. Before they do squats they'll have to update sisters! They *may* integrate squats into Tau though as IIRC squats allow tau to travel in warp space.

Vepr
28-06-2012, 23:34
If twin linked Hive Guard don't light some sort of fire, there's something seriously wrong dude.

This is going to be very nice even with mech probably becoming less prevalent but there are also some big buffs to shooting and nerfs to assault. Like I said right now we have good and bad news with the errata probably swinging it one way or the other or maybe just leaving nids fairly balanced. Hopefully they do not make us wait long for the updates. :)

Vepr
28-06-2012, 23:35
I am looking forward to seeing squats on the table top again even those ugly little trikes. :D Hopefully we will see some lists for them in WD soon.

RanaldLoec
28-06-2012, 23:44
I hope this works I'm using a not so smart phone

Ok I'm firing up the computer to upload this picture my wifes going to kill me.

daboarder
28-06-2012, 23:49

What huge boost?

we're slower, more vulnerable, loose armour-bane, Hormaguants will spend entire games running over their own corpses, Cover still gimps us, Genestealers can no longer assault from outflank, preferred enemy, FNP and furious charge got nerfed, and to top it off the enemy can now shoot us before we even get to combat.

RanaldLoec
28-06-2012, 23:54

The page talks about active abhumans and the imperiums classifications and that is the only place I found them mentioned still their in the book in black and white.

All four glorouis words.

Just below Ratlings Squats.

Tomorrow im going to my GW to talk about Squats, not the excercise the race.

Vepr
29-06-2012, 00:00
Nice thanks for posting that RanaldLoec . There are probably going to be some interesting beastmen IG conversions also to look forward to.

Charax
29-06-2012, 00:13
so...Catpeople, Cavepeople, Treepeople and Fishpeople?

oh, and Tallpeople

Vepr
29-06-2012, 00:15

oh, and Tallpeople

If you take a close look at IG proportions they actually fall into a few of those catagories already. :p

Sir_Turalyon
29-06-2012, 00:35
Yes! That made my day (ok, crowned already great day, but still).

Looks like a green light for ForgeWorld to start making them :D.

Dangersaurus
29-06-2012, 01:06
Hopefully we'll get a short allies list as a WD or digital release. Enough to use the OOP figs, or even better a small wave of figures.

...and fishmen?

Charax
29-06-2012, 01:13
the more I look at the Greek, the more it looks like Neandors might be a reference to the Sensei

RanaldLoec
29-06-2012, 01:15
There is about 4 paragraphs on the beastmen being reclassified as non human mutants.

Traitor guard theme force anybody?

Oh and so much has changed I'm going to be reading for weeks to note all the changes.

The book mentions allot of forgeworld books too like Vrakks etc etc.

The mysterious Grey Ogryns interested me?

Olja
29-06-2012, 01:15
A blurb in the rulebook is nice but the purgatory will not end until we have new models. :D

Charax
29-06-2012, 01:16
The mysterious Grey Ogryns interested me?

I figured that was a Hulk reference

RanaldLoec
29-06-2012, 01:34
I figured that was a Hulk reference

I've already got an idea for highly trained black ops inquisitorail storm trooper Ogryns with near Ork like intelligence.

A supreme elite fighting force.

------- INCOMING TRANSMISSION-------+
DECODING

Ordo Xenos Inquisitor Kyldman
Reports

Unable to secure more than a dozen storm troopers I have deployed strike team thunderfist abhuman spec ops in support.

--------------

The Ariel reconnaissance shows that the command bunker has been destroyed. As only a crater remains, there has been no response from the strike team or team thunderfist.

------------

Further ariel reconnaissance shows a disturbing image the command bunker was not destroyed but has been moved, this can only be foul witch spawned magic.

-----------

The bunker has travelled 150 clicks in three days, by holy Terra what is going on.

-------------

The command bunker has been secured, given the limited understanding of team thunderfist after the storm troopers died in the initial incursion team thunderfist secured the bunker and the materials within.

They then tore the whole structure up and carried it back from behind enemy lines.

Despite the unorthodox methods strike team thunderfist Grey Ogryn abhuman spec ops unit was successful where more elite units failed.

---------------

"TRANSMISSION ENDS"

Kelkyen
29-06-2012, 01:43
I'm surprised no one noticed the biggest revelation of all in 6th ed... Felinids (Homo sapiens hirsutus)

Furries are now 40k canon.

"I can has bolter?"

Angelwing
29-06-2012, 02:11
Return? Mine never went away. They live in my inquisitorial henchmen and guard veteran squads!
Although, with the allies rule, perhaps my exo armour guys can be used as allied terminators... :)

Veteran Sergeant
29-06-2012, 02:13

Excellent. I don't know why I care, lol. I was going to use my Squats regardless, and GW isn't bringing them back as a playable army, but it's nice to see the Squat ban is over.

All Cing Eye
29-06-2012, 03:01
I can haz codex?

catmen seriously?

I remember a very early rumor that said fishmen were in the rulebook, and there they are.

Grey Oryns, I think are a nod to the original Ogre Kingdoms fantasy book, where ogres were supposed to have grey stonish like skin.

Dangersaurus
29-06-2012, 05:49
Type IV Ogryns are probably a little easter egg too. Wonder if they have treads.

Abaraxas
29-06-2012, 07:38
Giving them an imperial agents style sub list with full options would be brilliant,theyre perfect allies for the Imperial Guard.

Ebon
29-06-2012, 08:22
I've long thought Squats should be integrated into the IG list. Specificcally, biker Squats as something similar to Rough Riders.

sgtspiff
29-06-2012, 08:27
Lovely. Jur lovely. Now Squats gonna be an easy conversion for imp guard.

Hulkster
29-06-2012, 09:42
This doesnt mean that the race is back though. IT just means there are a few dotted about. Like the fluff already said.

ChaplainCharlie
29-06-2012, 09:53
Although I feel happy for those who are happy the Squats are back, so to say, I must look at this like latest Duke Nukem game that was going to be the best thing ever, released just next quarter for the past decade or so and ended up a generic ****.

The more you hype and hope, I fear, the more you'll be left disappointed...

But if it makes you happy, then by all means go for it. I always enjoy character in armies and conversions.

Sir_Turalyon
29-06-2012, 12:29
Well, it's not news of incoming models / rules release, for sure. But the change of stance from "There are no Squats" to "Squats(homo sapiens rotundus[...] comprise the remaining classified, and officialy recognized, [abhuman types?]" is already more than Studio did in last 15 years.

Sai-Lauren
29-06-2012, 13:03
Hopefully we'll get a short allies list as a WD or digital release. Enough to use the OOP figs, or even better a small wave of figures.

Maybe, but I can bet that a lot of people will just call it beardy :shifty:

More seriously, IF they are coming back, and it's not just a nice little easter egg, I hope they do something more inspired than just the "Dwarves with lasers" that the Squats were planned as in 2nd edition.

Spaceraider
29-06-2012, 13:37
IF they are coming back, and it's not just a nice little easter egg, I hope they do something more inspired than just the "Dwarves with lasers" that the Squats were planned as in 2nd edition.

This is sixth ed, the design team have come a long way in four editions, they will be dwarves with skyfire lasers and gyrocopters with vector strikes ;)

Born Again
29-06-2012, 14:24
Don't get excited people, it was just a nod to the past, the Squats will not be coming back to the tabletop...

RanaldLoec
29-06-2012, 14:31
Yeah it was just a little bit of nostalgia for us oldies.

Memnos
29-06-2012, 14:36
This is sixth ed, the design team have come a long way in four editions, they will be dwarves with skyfire lasers and gyrocopters with vector strikes ;)

Ahem. Blood Angels have Bloodtalons, Bloodstrike missiles and Bloody McBlooderson bullets.

The Squats will have Short Stack Missile Launchers, Stubguns, and Midgetastic Microlasers.

Grocklock
29-06-2012, 15:13
Its a nice nod, but I really dont see Gw returning too them as a main line army, as there are already enough imperial armies as there is. I could how ever see forge world doing an army of them. But even this I could see as not really likely.

EldarWolf
29-06-2012, 15:34
More likely; four words in the background fluff that will keep all the complainers quiet as far as head office is concerned.
I would LOVE my squats to become legal again, but knowing GW, I doubt it...:-)

Clarkson
29-06-2012, 17:19

oh, and Tallpeople

annoy else read that and thought of an aqua man army? Inquisitor AquaMan and his fish henchman... shame my chaos cant ally with GK's

Dangersaurus
29-06-2012, 17:22
Don't get excited people, it was just a nod to the past, the Squats will not be coming back to the tabletop...

Jervis? Is that you?

Charax
29-06-2012, 17:52
Half an hour, a box of Dwarfs and the glorious words "Counts As" are just begging to prove you wrong

IcedCrow
29-06-2012, 18:19
Hells yes. Box of dwarves, convert some guns in their hands, give them ork rules or something... allies. =)

Veteran Sergeant
29-06-2012, 19:39
Half an hour, a box of Dwarfs and the glorious words "Counts As" are just begging to prove you wrong

That's always been the case though. The old models were never banned.

And yours is the lazy answer. The correct answer is to get a set of old Squats off of Ebay and set to equipping them with the proper weapons. ;)

Charax
29-06-2012, 19:53

And yours is the lazy answer. The correct answer is to get a set of old Squats off of Ebay and set to equipping them with the proper weapons. ;)

Hmm...converting unique squats Vs clicking a button and buying someone else's. Which one's the lazy solution?

Dangersaurus
29-06-2012, 21:20

The correctestmost answer is to take them off the shelf. :D

Born Again
01-07-2012, 06:44
Jervis? Is that you?

Hah. I lack the accent, not sure if that's a good or bad thing...

Please do, I think it would be awesome. I do plan on trying to get some Squats off Ebay for use in a guard army, and have always liked the idea of them popping up in games from time to time. I merely meant to address the notion some people seemed to have that because of four words in the new rulebook, we were going to see Codex: Squats before Christmas.

Grot
01-07-2012, 09:34

I find this offensive! People always say it was the tyranids. No, "the tyranids ate them" was just a random comment off the top of someone's head, a sign that GW doesn't even read its own fluff.

Find any 'historical' reference to the Golgotha sector in the imperial guard or ork codexes, and there are references to a massive war Ghazghkull waged against the abhuman armies living there during the opening of the second war for Armageddon.

IT WAS THE ORKS! We're not just the 'starter' bad guys to warm everyone up for 'the real threat'! We do things!

Anyway, with that off my chest. My conspiracy side thinks this is rather too coincidental, though. GW officially renounced the squats ~15 years ago, and would openly BAN anyone who mentioned them from the official site. But now they're official again out of the blue?

Meanwhile, the start-up company mantic games makes an entire plastic army of 'forge fathers', heavily armoured dwarves in space. I'm not sure how well they're selling, but after seeing GW hurriedly put out the tervigon and the thunderwolf models only AFTER some other companies produced and sold them like hotcakes, (and after trying to shut them down through litigation) I have to assume they're selling well enough that GW is ready to jump in and try to get back on the bandwagon.

I will not be surprised if / when GW releases a basic finecast or plastic squats unit box and a WD along with it to provide stats and a 'can ally with these armies' list. Opened, of course, by GW's lawyers descending on mantic.

Seriously, don't go buy a GW box of dwarves or hunting for the classics on ebay. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to talk about other companies on this forum, but go check out the mantic website. Google 'mantic games' and 'warpath' and have a look. This is the company who's listened to fans for the last fifteen years and decided to do something about it. These are the people who deserve your money, not GW.

Edit - I forgot to mention - I've always been a strong proponent for using the IG book as a squats 'count as', for all their big siege tanks and legions of troops, or using the space wolves book for a more armoured elite army covered in beards and ale. Now that it's official, I assume a 'counts as IG / Space Wolves' force isn't out of the question.

Born Again
01-07-2012, 11:18
I find this offensive! People always say it was the tyranids. No, "the tyranids ate them" was just a random comment off the top of someone's head, a sign that GW doesn't even read its own fluff.

Find any 'historical' reference to the Golgotha sector in the imperial guard or ork codexes, and there are references to a massive war Ghazghkull waged against the abhuman armies living there during the opening of the second war for Armageddon.

IT WAS THE ORKS! We're not just the 'starter' bad guys to warm everyone up for 'the real threat'! We do things!

The Squats lived on more worlds than just Golgotha... they occupied an empire bigger than that the Tau currently control...

Kulgur
01-07-2012, 11:56

Instead we decided that we'd write the Squats out of the background by saying that their Homworlds had been devoured by a Tyranid Hivefleet.

It was the official explanation, though it can always change, it's GW's fluff after all.

Sir_Turalyon
01-07-2012, 13:25
No, it was a personal off-hand explanation by Jervis on some blog or forum, exactly he kind Grto was talking about, refering to the original comment in Citadel Journal. It's no more official (and made no more sense) than Matt Ward writing on his blog that all eldar avatars were eaten by Ultramarines would.