Slann
Tepok/2 DIsc(higher state/focused rumination)/BSB
365pts

HERO

Saurus Scar Vet
Light armor/maiming shield/sword of battle/cold one-160pts

skink priest
lvl2 Dispel scroll/Diadem of power-150pts
*might just change diadem to Dispel scroll or plaque of tepok after i fully understand new power dice system

Scar vet
Burning blade/shield of the mirrored pool/light armor/cold one-160pts

Core
24 Saurus warrior 6x4
HW/Shield FC-294pts

24 Saurus Warrior 6x4
HW/shield FC-294pts

13 skink skirmishers
Blowpipes-91pts

14 skink skirmishers
Blowpipes-98pts

Special

Stegadon
-235pts

Rare

Salamander pack
-75pts

Salamander Pack
-75pts

1997 Total points

With Higher State, which gives Slann the immunity to all but magical attack, I hope i can run him solo.
I thought it will be fun to add Shield of the Mirrored Pool and hope to see some result ingame, if i ever get to play a game this Sat.

jarbo
29-06-2012, 04:07
Not bad for 1500 points.

1. your skink priest doesnt really need a bunker, you can run him around with skink skirmishers. that 150 points could get you 2 salamanders.
2. What you read was right, they are way to expensive for what they do, but since you bought the battalion and its only 1500 points go for it.
3. go hw/shield, parry is amazing and your only getting 5 ws3 str 4 extra attacks. Without magic buffs at higher games those attacks will rarely make up the combat rez that parry will save you.

I would really try to fit in a bsb.

How does this look?

scar vet
armour of fortune/shield

scar vet bsb
light armour/shield

lv 2 skink priest
dispel scroll

24 saurus full command

20 saurus full command

10 skink skirmishers

10 skink skirmishers

salamander

salamander

1500 on the dot. Based on what I think you have you'll just have to buy 2 salamanders which I promise you'll be happy you bought

hope it helps

Moss
29-06-2012, 05:27
I stupidly bought a box of CO cav. I modeled a few of them to be used as mounted scar-vets since I never take actual units of them. Jarbo's list looks solid, though I would mount the gen and give him LA/GW/dawnstone/dragonhelm/venom if you can free up some points (maybe make that 2nd saurus unit 18 [6x3]).

ShadyMonkie
29-06-2012, 07:45
I decided to use stegadon, which i will purchase soon, and use cold one riders as unit fillers for my saurus block.
Few questions regarding Salamanders
Should i take 2 unit of 1 salamanders or 1 unit of 2 salamanders?(probably for 2k list)
Reason for such question is because I'm planning to use leftover bits from Stegadon box to create two giant blowpipe skink units and use them as salamanders. (also planning to use engines of god bits to create a "skink priest council plaque to count as slann")

dms505
29-06-2012, 14:02
x2 units of 1 salamander pack, they are hard to kill so you don't need to worry as much about having a larger unit to soak wounds. Also just make sure you place them well on the battlefield, water features, against fences. If they don't have much shooting you can run them right up the middle, fire at the enemy main blocks, then flee with swiftstride when they charge you. Just make sure you flee back toward your general or that you have at least 2 turns to rally.

If your new to lizardmen don't let players jip you on terrain. Either roll it off or place some yourself. Use water, rivers, marshes. Skinks and Salamanders are at -2 to hit from shooting while sitting in water because of Aquatic and Skirmish rules. they can be like little deadly mosquitoes that you can't quite swat!

Moss
29-06-2012, 18:01
If your new to lizardmen don't let players jip you on terrain. Either roll it off or place some yourself. Use water, rivers, marshes. Skinks and Salamanders are at -2 to hit from shooting while sitting in water because of Aquatic and Skirmish rules. they can be like little deadly mosquitoes that you can't quite swat!

I'm so glad someone said this. I quickly got sick of my buddies rolling their eyes and accusing me of being cheap because, "You're only placing that so that your skinks can hide in it." No *****. You're god d*mn right I'm placing it so my skinks can hide in it. You don't see me complain to wood elf players every time there's a forest on the board.

ShadyMonkie
29-06-2012, 19:26
You're god d*mn right I'm placing it so my skinks can hide in it. You don't see me complain to wood elf players every time there's a forest on the board.
My friends were less than happy whenever a forest or two made on to the board and almost cried if there were 3; when i played WE wardancer/waywatcher list.
Anyway, i listed a 2k list please take a look at OP!

Moss
29-06-2012, 21:10
On the Slann I would for sure take Cupped Hands. The miscast protection/redirection is invaluable. I realize you'd have to drop the Plaque of Tepok and then probably have to pick up Focus of Mastery to compensate, which makes it a very expensive investment, but I still think it's well worth it.
The extra skinks in the skirmisher units are probably unnecessary (and make those units a little big, spatially). Use those points on extra handlers for the salamanders or as a way to clear up points for Cupped Hands.

I don't really care for the lone-Slann approach, but if I do end up playing one, this is the sort of list I was considering for myself.

ShadyMonkie
29-06-2012, 21:15
Is there higher chance for miscast in 8th ed? I used to run lvl 4 and lvl 2 spellsingers back in 7th as WE and never once gotten a miscast.

dms505
02-07-2012, 10:18
It's harder to get spells off now so we generally use more dice, thus upping the chance for a miscast. On the other hand though I swear when I TRY MY BEST to get a miscast and use my cupped hands I usually can't get a dang miscast. On my 2400 list I use Cupped Hands, on my 2500 I don't. Even when i don't I can't think of the last time I ever miscast and blow up the Slann. It's just very very rare. What I like Cupped Hands for is not to protect myself but to use it as a weapon. I took out a 500pt Vampire Lord 2nd turn once and pretty much ended the game. I wasn't even casting anything important. I used 6 dice on some magic missle spell that I didn't care about. I just wanted 2 6's baby.
Figuring the chance to get a miscast then the chance to get a 1-4 is really pretty slim. Any other miscast result just isn't an issue for a Slann with such high wounds. Yea losing a lvl or two can suck, but you don't die from it. the points are still there.

Moss
02-07-2012, 18:10
Not only are you rolling a lot of dice at a time, but you're also rolling a lot of dice over a given magic phase. Maybe it's just crappy luck, but I on average miscast probably once a game (and I rarely throw more than four dice at any given attempt).

And losing a level or two actually does suck pretty bad. You're losing spells, and probably at least one important spell (if you miscast, you probably threw a lot of dice at it, which means it was probably an important spell). Not having Timewarp or Speed of Light makes your Slann not much better than your lvl 2 skink priest.

The other problem is that you might be losing out on the rest of your magic phase, which can suck if it came at a critical time (again, if you're throwing lots of dice at a given spell, it probably is a critical time).

I suggest not taking it for a few games, and if you're happy without it, then good for you; you just saved 40pts. I would bet though, that there will be a couple of times where you really wished you had.