PDA

View Full Version : Servo-skull tape measure with laser pointer?

Malorian
29-06-2012, 19:21
So I saw the servo-skull tape measure and the main thing I could think of was "man that would be awesome if the eye was also a laser pointer..."

I was just wondering what other people thought: Would you have wished to see it with a laser pointer as well? And if so how much would you have been willing to pay for it?

For myself if it was there for $40 I would have gotten it.

BrainFireBob
29-06-2012, 19:43
So I saw the servo-skull tape measure and the main thing I could think of was "man that would be awesome if the eye was also a laser pointer..."

I was just wondering what other people thought: Would you have wished to see it with a laser pointer as well? And if so how much would you have been willing to pay for it?

Isn't the head mainly plastic?

I don't know about you, but I have a drill and a working knowledge of electric circuit design.

Fenrisian Ale
29-06-2012, 19:51
I also thought that first time I saw it :)

huitzilopochtli
29-06-2012, 19:52
Ditto. +letters

Malorian
29-06-2012, 20:10
Isn't the head mainly plastic?

I don't know about you, but I have a drill and a working knowledge of electric circuit design.

I have a drill and a long track record of hurting myself... does that count?

hobojebus
29-06-2012, 20:40
I just think it looks like cheap rubbish myself.

Ace Rimmer
29-06-2012, 21:04
I was thinking about laserifying it.......

murgel2006
29-06-2012, 21:11
No need for the servo skull.

Go to the zoo store you trust, buy a big resin skull for the aquarium and modify to your liking.

Double laser eyes, with tapemeasure-tongue and dice compartment anyone?

Crube
30-06-2012, 09:56
Strangely enough, I was in GW Aberdeen yesterday and the staffer there said exactly the same thing... It would be ideal to have the laser pointer in it!

SilentCivilian
30-06-2012, 10:13
I thought the exact same thing when i saw then in WD. Missed opportunity really. I got my hands on one at the midnight opening last night, far better quality than i would have at first thought, same goes for the templates.

Charax
30-06-2012, 10:28
mine got delayed. I suspect they're hollow and holding a normal tape measure, in which case I'll replace it with a high-quality tape measure before putting a laser pointer in the bionic and repainting the whole thing

MajorWesJanson
30-06-2012, 10:47
The problem with adding a laser pointer is then it becomes far more of a health and safety hazard, especially to children/teenagers.

Charax
30-06-2012, 10:51
I call that a bonus!

Crube
01-07-2012, 20:13
The problem with adding a laser pointer is then it becomes far more of a health and safety hazard, especially to children/teenagers.

True, but they have already sold a laser pointer for 40K previously...

Haravikk
01-07-2012, 20:16
I'm going to go one up and mod a holdout pistol into mine… you know, for those pesky rules disputes :)

Zombiecrackers
01-07-2012, 20:22
I just think it looks like cheap rubbish myself.

I thought that as well for the servo skull, i thought it was gonna be super flimsy and brake right away but when i got my hands on one they are actually quite high quality, and i would totally support putting a laser pointer in there however....

That's why I'm going to mod a holdout pistol into mine… you know, for those pesky rules disputes

That does sound cooler!

AlphariusOmegon20
02-07-2012, 00:01

Just about everyone at our Bunker's midnight release said that when we saw the tape. A lot of us answered thhat cost question with an average of $30-$50.

Zogash
02-07-2012, 00:20
Just about everyone at our Bunker's midnight release said that when we saw the tape. A lot of us answered thhat cost question with an average of $30-$50.

Oh man... 30-50 bucks for a TAPE MEASURE?! Some people sure don't know where to put all their cash... >.<

A tape measure is just a tool, for Christ's sake! Why on earth would I swap an 8-buck tape measure that fits the hand well and get's the job done perfectly for a $16.50 monstrosity that is unhandy to the extreme? It is bulky, unwieldy (even the red standard measure is quite prone to get in the way at times... and that's way smaller than the skull!) and costs more than twice as much! Ah well, to each his own, I guess... ;-)

Just out of interest, though: what would be the point (as in: what practical use is it) of putting a laser pointer in the skull? Is there any?
It doesn't help you measure, LOS-tracking would be extremely difficult due to the measure's bulk, and what other use could it possibly serve? Blinding your opponent? :P

Thoth62
02-07-2012, 02:02
I believe the answer to that is none. But the LCF (Look Cool Factor) would be off the charts! :cool:

Born Again
02-07-2012, 03:42
Adding a laser pointer would have been more of an incentive in getting one. I passed as it is, it was bulky and awkward to hold, plus the fact it was only marked in inches meant I would still need my regular one anyone for playing BFG.

AlphariusOmegon20
02-07-2012, 04:36
Oh man... 30-50 bucks for a TAPE MEASURE?! Some people sure don't know where to put all their cash... >.<

A tape measure is just a tool, for Christ's sake! Why on earth would I swap an 8-buck tape measure that fits the hand well and get's the job done perfectly for a $16.50 monstrosity that is unhandy to the extreme? It is bulky, unwieldy (even the red standard measure is quite prone to get in the way at times... and that's way smaller than the skull!) and costs more than twice as much! Ah well, to each his own, I guess... ;-)

Just out of interest, though: what would be the point (as in: what practical use is it) of putting a laser pointer in the skull? Is there any?
It doesn't help you measure, LOS-tracking would be extremely difficult due to the measure's bulk, and what other use could it possibly serve? Blinding your opponent? :P

First off, you must have small hands, because the new skull tape fits well in my hand. The old red tapes always felt too small to me.

Second, the reason why a lot of us said $30 - $50 was because we were taking in account the cost to the laser for the increase in price.

Third, yes there is a use. It does stop a lot of arguments about LOS. If I can put a laser dot or a laser X on the target's chest, then I can clearly see it, and the best part is I didn't even have to get my eyeball down to table top level (Which I always thought was a stupid mechanic to settle a LOS dispute in the first place, as different people have different perceptions of depth) I'd also like to point out that the height of where a laser would go in the skull tape, is roughly the exact same height as most model's heads. Just place the tape slightly behind the model, with the laser sight projecting just over the model's shoulder.