PDA

View Full Version : Tau Piranha. Is it good?

Merellin
29-06-2012, 23:23
So I was considering getting a group of Piranhas for my army but I was wondering, Are they good? I'v been comparing them to my space wolves Land Speeders and they are slightly more expensive but has 1 more armor. and if you add Fusion Blaster to it, And add a Multi Melta to the Land Speeder then the Piranha is slightly cheeper but has shorter range. How do you run your Piranhas?

Stonerhino
29-06-2012, 23:33
Depends on how I use them.

For example sometimes I run them solo or in pairs. Flatout accross the board and park right in front of an enemy that wants to advance towards me. Leaving the choice of shooting with cover save, assulting hitting on 6s either way going around slowing the enemy down.

Sometimes I run a full squadron with burst cannons up an enemy flank just to harass. Possing just enough threat that the enemy will engage them and sometimes mixing in a few fusion blasters to up their threat level.

Vepr
29-06-2012, 23:38
The flechette launchers are absolute murder on tyranids and orks.

Nymie_the_Pooh
29-06-2012, 23:40
I like the assault bikes with multi-melta over the land speeder. It's cheaper and more survivable if running the full unit for tank hunting which is the primary role I use them for. That can easily change with the reported changes for skimmers and vehicles in general. It was hard to for me to justify running units of speeders. I would have put the Piranha somewhere between those two options in fifth. It was slightly better than the land speeder, but not as good as the assault bikes when it came to tank hunting. In sixth they should become much better as they will be much more survivable to run in groups. I would probably take a squadron of three and play around with five to see how much of a difference it makes.

Charistoph
30-06-2012, 02:23
The flechette launchers are absolute murder on tyranids and orks.

Not as much in 6th as in 5th, though, so keep that in mind.

Piranha are like their namesake and work best in packs, nibbling their target to death. Hull Points make even Burst Cannons a threat when parked behind the tatget.

Merellin
30-06-2012, 09:44
So best would be to get a full group of 5 Piranhas? How should I equip them? On my Space wolves I give my Land Speeders multi meltas to harass tanks.. Should I give the Piranhas Fusion Blasters?

snottlebocket
30-06-2012, 10:14
So best would be to get a full group of 5 Piranhas? How should I equip them? On my Space wolves I give my Land Speeders multi meltas to harass tanks.. Should I give the Piranhas Fusion Blasters?

Depends on what you want to do with them. Tau are not exactly short on choices for anti armor. Piranha's are good at getting the right weapons in the right spot. Figure out what your army is missing and plug the hole.

ForgottenLore
30-06-2012, 12:39

Not terribly difficult to magnetize the gun barrels for piranhas so you can experiment with different load outs.

Merellin
30-06-2012, 13:48
Hmm.. What am I missing.. Lets see.. I got
1 Devilfish
5 Crisis Suits
1 Broadside
12 Gun Drones
34 Fire Warriors
26 Kroot
1 Ethereal
And Aun'Va with his bodyguards

Despite the disslike for Fire Warriors I personally like them. they arent that bad, and now that they can mvoe and shoot at max range they are even better! Though, I'm not a very good general so I'm not very good at thinking of what I need.. I mostly take what seems like fun.. XD

vitch
30-06-2012, 14:15
Hmm.. What am I missing.. Lets see.. I got
1 Devilfish
5 Crisis Suits
1 Broadside
12 Gun Drones
34 Fire Warriors
26 Kroot
1 Ethereal
And Aun'Va with his bodyguards

Despite the disslike for Fire Warriors I personally like them. they arent that bad, and now that they can mvoe and shoot at max range they are even better! Though, I'm not a very good general so I'm not very good at thinking of what I need.. I mostly take what seems like fun.. XD

You are missing Markerlights! My Pathfinders are FW models with the shoulder pad left off and armed with Pulse Cabrines.

The Forgeworld Tetras are another good FA choice, although they are expensive (in Monetary terms).

How are your Suits configured weapons wise?

Merellin
30-06-2012, 14:28
Dont remember how the suits are configured but I only play with a group of friends so we are rather open so I can use any equipment I want for them as long as I tell everyone before the match what weapons they have. But I normaly use Burst Cannon and Missile Pod I think it was.. Been a while since I played the Tau.. and Pathfinders just seem troublesome, Having to buy a Devilfish for them..

djpringle
30-06-2012, 14:30
You do get 2 Tetra's to a pack so they are a comparable price to a Piranha.

Stealth teams could also be a good choice for a source of markerlights now with the stealth and shrouded bonuses to cover saves.

Ronin no Matsu
30-06-2012, 14:33
If you had some markerlights you could give your pirhanas some seeker missiles. On first turn you can flat out behind enemy vehicules and let your markerlight light them up. It's absolutely devastating. Also, I recommand you gave them only fusion blasters, burst cannons aren't worth it at all. Flechette discharger is more than usefull since they are more likely to get assaulted in the enemy ground. I think a minimum of 2 pirhanas can get the job done, but the more you have the more deadly it will be.

About your list, get some more broadsides and at least one more devilfish. As vitch said, Pathfinder or Tetras are a must in an army list IMO.

Merellin
30-06-2012, 14:43
I'm a bit unsure about using Forgeworld models.. I dont know if the people i play with would like it, And they are harder to get since you have to order them from forgeworld.. Plus you gotta buy like all the books just to find out what book has the rules for the specific models..

djpringle
30-06-2012, 14:51
The Tetra stats etc should be available when Forgeworld update their FAQ's, this way you shouldn't need to buy IA3. As with all FW stuff, always better to ask beforehand

Ronin no Matsu
30-06-2012, 20:08
Yeah, you can get the FAQ for free on the forge world website here : http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/t/Tauupdate.pdf, but you better just convert some fire warrior in pathfinders. Tetras are the best way by far to get markerlight shots but are far too pricy$$$. So you should take 8 of your fire warriors as pathfinders and you put them in some terrain or behind a vehicle.

Merellin
30-06-2012, 21:34
How did you find that on the Forgeworld site? I looked arround and the only downloads I found was Aeronautica Imperialis Questions and Answers part 1, Aeronautica Imperialis Questions and Answers part 2 and
Aeronautica Imperialis Roster Sheet.. Tetras are nice, but I dont know what my friends would say about them..

Ronin no Matsu
30-06-2012, 21:40
So forget tetras, get yourself some pathfinders.

MiyamatoMusashi
30-06-2012, 21:43
Tetras are phenomenal.

otakuzoku
30-06-2012, 22:29
For 120 points you get 8x Bs4 (targeting array and blacksun filter) vs only 4x BS3 if you buy a pathfinder team for 128 points and they cant move and shoot the markerlights.

Ronin no Matsu
01-07-2012, 02:19
MiyamotoMusashi and otakuzoku you guys are perfectly right but 2 tetras cost twice the price$$$ of 8 pathfinder-converted fire warriors.

xerxeshavelock
01-07-2012, 02:27
MiyamotoMusashi and otakuzoku you guys are perfectly right but 2 tetras cost twice the price$$$ of 8 pathfinder-converted fire warriors.

And the Devilfish?

Ronin no Matsu
01-07-2012, 03:03
What do you mean?

Charistoph
01-07-2012, 03:06
What do you mean?

Pathfinders still require a Devilfish to be fielded...

But I believe the rules targetting vehicle squadrons changed so mass Flechette Launchers aren't as nasty as they were in 5th.

ForgottenLore
01-07-2012, 05:06

By my reckoning, two tetras convert to $52US

Fire Warriors (to count as pathfinders) come out to just about $3 each, 8 of them makes $24
The Devilfish they require is $37

so the monetary price for a pathfinder squad is $61

The price for 2 tetras is $52

so the tetras are actually cheaper, and that doesn't even count the fact that the Fire Warriors don't come in a box of 8. Add another $12 onto there and it almost equals the cost of 3 tetras. Of course tetras don't come singly either so this could go on for a while, but you see the point.

None of which really matters though because his problem was that he wasn't sure his play group would be OK with Forge World models.

otakuzoku
01-07-2012, 08:44
i dont see why any body should not like the forgeworld models. considering how many nasty builds there will be with the alies matrix. any one running a pure army with FW units is the least of there problems. espeshley if the person complaining turns up with alies. they really have no right to complain :evilgrin: