PDA

View Full Version : Enfeebling foe + Netters == Death?

Stained_Steel
30-06-2012, 11:05
So, another thing happand yesterday:

i was battling a buddys high elves, as it was for fun, i brought my Waaghboss on Wyvern with the Wizarding Hat, rolling lore of shadows.

in the third round i got the enfeebling foe of at a unit of Swordmasters who were fighting my bus of 60 nightgoblins, rolling a 4 (2) giving them strength 1.

now combat started and i hit them with nets, reducing them to str 0. (as there is no minimum str in the rules)

at page 4 in the main rulebook it states that if at any time a unit has 0 strength, wounds or toughness it is removed from play.

does that mean i just eradicated 40 swordmasters with nets?

T10
30-06-2012, 11:12
There are no rules that deal with the order in which modifiers are applied.

Bodysnatcher
30-06-2012, 12:50
In this case yes. If you want the fluff justification, the swordmasters were so weak they couldn't even struggle out of the nets before they got butchered.

AMWOOD co
30-06-2012, 13:24

There are also no rules on how to apply minimums (such as the minimum of 1 for modified stats for every hex spell). To this end, you have to house rule it. Personally, I go with using the greatest minimum of any one effect as the minimum of all the effects.

theunwantedbeing
30-06-2012, 13:49
Yup, the swordmasters all die because there is no "to a minimum of 1" clause in the rules for being entangled by nets.

It's just a quirk of the rules.
More hailarious would be a block of night goblins netting themselves to death after getting enfeebled :)

danny-d-b
30-06-2012, 13:51
Its hard to say, according to curse of the leaper if streanth is reduced to 0 they die, but thats an 'side effect' of the spell
I'd say in this case the elves don't due but are unable to attack due to being unable to hurt the goblins

Soundwave
30-06-2012, 14:07
Yeah same issue with the withering and curse of the leper toughness 0 ouch potential unit wipe out in a single turn. Cheesy :cheese:.

Scalebug
30-06-2012, 15:40
Its hard to say, according to curse of the leaper if streanth is reduced to 0 they die, but thats an 'side effect' of the spell
I'd say in this case the elves don't due but are unable to attack due to being unable to hurt the goblins

No, It is not that it is a "side effect" of that spell, it being mentioned there is just because the spell is in a 7th ed book, and the 8th ed BRB actually tells us outright that S, T or W at 0 means you are dead

If at any time a model's Strength, Toughness or Wounds are reduced to 0 or less by magic or a special rule, it is slain and removed from play.

There is nothing unclear, the elves died. Fluffswise like Bodysnatcher said.

It either doesn't matter, or if it comes to them esentially being at the same time, the "player whos turn it is decides the order" would come into play. Anyway, this is not a case where that would aply, as the elves are already at their reduced strenght since the magic phase, when they are netted in the close combat one.

MOMUS
30-06-2012, 18:02
Just checked and unfortunately bothe withering and soulblight have the 'to a minimum of 1' clause in the spell description :mad:

the_slosh
30-06-2012, 18:10
Yep but the SM's dont get str 0 until the cc phase so bye bye horde

Andy p
30-06-2012, 20:30
Yeah same issue with the withering and curse of the leper toughness 0 ouch potential unit wipe out in a single turn. Cheesy :cheese:.

Well not quite as cheesy since it relies on something as random as the wizard hat, (yes I know these entire rulesets are based around dice rolls).

bildo
30-06-2012, 21:19
would work well in a doubles

Stained_Steel
30-06-2012, 23:13
thats what i was thinking, my local gaming gorup has a upcoming 2on2 tournament, my ally will be empire, soo....

AMWOOD co
01-07-2012, 01:58
Well not quite as cheesy since it relies on something as random as the wizard hat, (yes I know these entire rulesets are based around dice rolls).

Yes, but Warriors of Chaos would have a get around as Shadow is one of their options for a Lord or Book of Secrets user and Curse of the Leper has an implied exception to the minimum of 1.

Bodysnatcher
01-07-2012, 07:16
One of my favourites was enfeebling a unit of 50 Nurgle marauders, then having dwellers dispelled, then gleaning curse of the leper from Festus who was in the unit.
Cue much tzeentchian hilarity as 50 marauders die of psychedelic revolving spleen syndrome, leaving S1 Festus and BSB standing all on their lonesome wondering where their mates have gone....

danny-d-b
01-07-2012, 09:31
One of my favourites was enfeebling a unit of 50 Nurgle marauders, then having dwellers dispelled, then gleaning curse of the leper from Festus who was in the unit.
Cue much tzeentchian hilarity as 50 marauders die of psychedelic revolving spleen syndrome, leaving S1 Festus and BSB standing all on their lonesome wondering where their mates have gone....

If it was possible to 'like' this post I would

T10
01-07-2012, 17:14
There are also no rules on how to apply minimums (such as the minimum of 1 for modified stats for every hex spell). To this end, you have to house rule it. Personally, I go with using the greatest minimum of any one effect as the minimum of all the effects.

I'm of the opinion that a characteristics penalty with a minimum can be combined with other penalties, but the minimum still applies.

Also, the minimum of any penalty doesn't protect against other modifiers with a lower or no minimum:

Strength 3 - 6 (min. 1) is Strength 1
Strength 3 - 6 (min. 1) - 1 (min 0) is Strength 1
Strength 3 - 6 (min. 1) - 3 (min 0) is Strength 0