PDA

View Full Version : Bretonnian Peasant Horde

billr
04-05-2006, 04:57
Been thinking about doing another army, and I nfially found one that I want to do.

I bought the batallion box and an extra box of men at arms at my (wonderful) local game store and spent some time checking things out. It's all there so I started putting the little guys together.

This is my first experience with GW's new generation of plastics. They're pretty good, but the cleanup time on the flash is still pretty high. I'm out of practice though. I don't think I've done any significant plastic assembly in at least two years. The other thing that slowed me down was that my testors plastic cement was jammed, and I was using tenax 7r, which is better in a lot of ways, but I don't have a lot of practice using it. That and I was gluing on a lot of the extra bits too. (chickens! :D ) I will probably get faster at it, so it should get better.

So I got eight of them put together including the command, and that took awhile. they're pretty clean though. I ought to ge able to get back to assembly in a day or two and in the mean time I need to figure out some colors. I'm thinking an off-white for the undercoat, and some muted colors for the overgarmets. the men at arms are supposed to be equipped by their lord, so the will generally be wearing consistent colors.

No point in posting a picutre yet. So there's not much to see, but if you have any comments I'd still like to hear them.

Thanks for looking.

Kotobuki
04-05-2006, 15:01
I don't know if you're planning on having a command in the archer unit... but if not, or even if you are, you'll want to make at least one archer out each of the boxes of Men At Arms off the Command sprue. You can then make replacement Men At Arms from the Command Sprue in the Archer box.

You can only make 13 properly armed archers out of the box of 16 Archers, because there is only a single bow on the command sprue. And, unlike the older boxes that simply had a command sprue with lots of addon bits, or some of the newer boxes that have the command options mixed into the regular sprues, the Men at Arms and Archer boxes come with 3 sprues of 4 appropriate models, and a single sprue of 4 models with command. Which you can't even make properly anyway, because there's only 2 shields, and only a single bow. Yeah, way to go on that one GW.

billr
05-05-2006, 04:22
Thanks! Not a problem though. I have the two command sprues from the batallion box, and the command sprue from the extra man at arms box. Plus lots of bows from the plastic empire box (the former Mordheim guys).

Speaking of bowmen. I have a good amount of thin wire and I am thinking about making bow strings with it. I'm trying to figure out how to hook it to the hands of the archers who have their bows drawn. Any suggestions?

Kotobuki
05-05-2006, 04:32
I would not go with wire, unless you've got stuff that like, almost invisible. Otherwise, i think it'd be way too thick. As for attaching it... find a tiny little pin-vise bit... and drill holes, I'd guess?

Cadian 21st
05-05-2006, 04:38
- Make a pinhole on the Bowman's hand so you can squeeze the wire into it. Top the bow off with an arrow, and you should be able to hide it. This is just an opinion - I've yet to actually try it on my brother's men, but it seems possible.

- The Empire Militia could work for some of your serfs if you feel like adding some crude weapons and clothes:
http://ca.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.ca?do=Individual&code=99120202004&orignav=13

billr
08-05-2006, 03:31
The wire is pretty thin, so it won't be an issue.

I think the way to go might be a simple notch with an exacto knife and just hook it in there.

Have 8 men at arms primed, and 4 more assembled and partially cleaned. Need to go over them again and then get the remaining four assembled and cleaned. Prime them and start painting.