PDA

View Full Version : 2k Vampire list

logan054
02-07-2012, 17:43
Well after playing several games now I think I have come up with something that will work a lot more effectively while being far more with the theme which is sort of a crossbreed of van helsing, classical vampire and Lahmian.

So main things I have removed, Red fury, I've used it a few times and honestly I can say its broken as hell, I watched a game in which a vampire with sword of anti-heroes, quick blood and red fury just wiped out a whole unit of 30 chaos warriors with chaos lord and BSB whilst also being charged in the flank by another unit of chaos warriors, it wasn't even funny. At the moment I am trying to tweak my vampire lord/ladies build.

The main issue I was finding with the list was the magic phase simply wasn't potent enough, baby manfred is good for the points however he is just to easy to kill (sadly). Same with the terrorgheist, its a really great monster but it is just to easy to kill thanks to lack of protection and being a large target, its always going to be the target on first turn because fear it (and rightly so), after seeing a friends vampire army play I decided what the list was really lacking was character to add that extra punch to a unit which of course reduces the amount it is crumbling by significantly.

Characters:

The lord will go with the grave guard, Beast mage with the ghouls and the other vampire with the skeletons (hence no unit champion).

The Beast mage will mainly be used for wild form, I will still roll on the chart incase I get something decent, turning a vampire into a hydra could be very amusing during a combat! I'm not sure if the cursed book is worth it, I'm going to give it a try and see how it works, its really a toss up between that, rod of flame cage and staff of damnation, all very good items.

The 2nd vampire will go with the unit of skeletons, not sure about dread knight, it does seem like a bit of double edged sword, beguile could be better, I am also not sure if the additional level is actually needed, I am wondering if that would not be better off invested in thing like unit champions and additional vampire powers, still as a lvl 2 it makes him a reasonable backup general.

The lord is really a jack of all trades, decent magic and pretty decent combat power without using the stuff that will make my mates groan and moan (Red Fury).

Lords

Countess Verona Jinette
Vampire Lord
- lvl 4 sorcerer
- Lore of Vampires
- Heavy Armour
- Great weapon
- Dragon Helm
- Talismans of Preservation
- Red Fury
- Quick Blood

Total 476pts

Heroes

Lady Aleera Jinette
Vampire
- lvl 1 sorcerer
- Lore of Beasts
- Heavy Armour
- Enchanted Shield
- Rod of Flaming Death
- Forbidden Lore
Total 179pts

Victor Helstrum
Vampire
lvl 2 sorcerer
- Lore of Vampires
- Great Weapon
- Armour silvered steel
- Quick Blood
Total 223pts

Troops

5 Direwolves
Total 40pts

29 Skeleton Warriors
- Fullcommand
- Banner of Eternal Flame
Total 185pts

Crazed Villagers
29 Ghouls
Total 290pts

Special

Cursed Teutogen Guard
29 Gave Guard
- Fullcommand
- Great weapons
- Banner of Barrows
Total 428pts

Rare

Enslaved Skin Wolf
Varghulf
Total 175pts

Basically the main issue I have found is with the vampire lord, she is either winning the games solo or not cost effective, I have been really struggling to find a happy medium

Mikael.K
02-07-2012, 20:44
I think this list lacks chaff units. You have a lot of points tied up in characters. I would actually drop both vampires and probably go with a necro with book of arkhan. Those ghouls only need the re-rolls to be awesome, I would increase that unit to 40. A few more GG would be nice aswell so that you can maintain the max ammount of attacks as long as possible. Still, its not a bad list :).

jarbo
04-07-2012, 06:07
I like the list and the idea behind it. Yes, a unit or two of wolves or zomebies would help, but It looks like your going for more of an "elite" point denial style list.

I completely agree with you about the lord, it's completely broken but you're almost forced to take it to stay semi competitive. My friend takes a lord close to your build and killed 14 of my semi buffed templed guard in one turn.

Too wrap it up, run it a few times and make the few tweaks you'll run into and let us know how you did, I'd like to hear how a list like this runs.

logan054
04-07-2012, 14:32
Thanks for the replies, I certainly agree that having some more chaff would be a massive advantage (thats something that gets added at 2400pts), problem really is fitting everything into the list that you need, I would like bigger units, when it hits 2400pts buffing the skeletons and ghouls will be one of the first things I do!), I've tried the list without so many points in the characters I don't think it works, I can hopefully test this out this week. My only real reservation with Mikael.K advice is it seems to be putting to much of the attention on the vampire lord and her magic phase with most of the killing power from either buffing unit or raw killing power coming from her, as soon as she dies I will lose most of magic phase and only really have the varghulf or grave guard that can kill anything (ghouls being dependent on who I play). I could see S4 T5 ghouls being very nasty in combat back up by a S6 vampire.

@ jarbo - I was using sword of anti-heroes before, it really isn't fun, a friend of mine did this and we watched as the vampire carved through a Chaos lord, 15 warriors with halberds and 30 warriors with halberds and bsb in a couple of turns, I am wondering if I should go with sword of might and a shield because it seems a waste not to have the rerolls.

I will certainly let you know how it does!

jarbo
04-07-2012, 18:59
I agree, throw on a sword of might and go to town. the GW kinda defeats the purpose imo.

logan054
05-07-2012, 23:00
Well I had a few 1k games today, they did not go well lol, at the moment I am certainly thinking I need to look at the character design a bit, I keep taking baby manfred out of this list but I don't know, he just seems so good for his points, only problem really seems to be solving the issue of how easy he can be to kill, I am hoping a shadow made will do the trick.

Still not sure if I really need a lvl4 vampire, I am wondering if a lvl3, lvl2 vamp lore master and a lvl2 shadow mage be more than enough for a decent magic phase combined with manfreds sword.

Lords

Countess Verona Jinette
Vampire Lord
- lvl 3 sorcerer
- Lore of Vampires
- Heavy Armour
- Shield
- Sword of Anti-Heroes
- Talisman of Preservation
- Staff of Damnation
- Quick Blood
Total 429pts

Heroes

Lady Aleera Jinette
Count as Manfred the Acolyte
Total 200pts

Victor Helstrum
Vampire
lvl 2 sorcerer
- Lore of Shadow
- Great Weapon
- Armour silvered steel
- Beguile
- Aura of Dark Majesty
Total 233pts

Troops

5 Direwolves
Total 40pts

30 Skeleton Warriors
- Fullcommand
- The Screaming Banner
Total 205pts

Crazed Villagers
29 Ghouls
Total 290pts

Special

Cursed Teutogen Guard
29 Gave Guard
- Fullcommand
- Great weapons
- Banner of Barrows
Total 428pts

Rare

Enslaved Skin Wolf
Varghulf
Total 175pts

jarbo
06-07-2012, 03:42
Characters like Manfred with a what 5+ save? need a zombie bunker to sit in the back and cast.
Personally I think ghouls are a little expensive for what they do. T4 and 2 poisned attacks are great, but your vampires are the ones doing the damage anyway and with those points you could have a skeleton unit twice the size. Maybe drop the ghouls and manfred (gives you 490 points) Try adding 10 skeletons to your unit, another 5 wolves, 45 zombies to tie up units, 2x1 spirit host to tie up units, and another vargulf. Adds some more units your opponent has to deal with or get tied up and a little more punch.

logan054
07-07-2012, 11:48
Sadly that advise isn't a viable option, I simply don't have the funds to change my army like that, I want to get a bucket load of zombies when I can afford to, but realistically I would need to invest in 100 odd zombies, to do that is going to cost me well over 100 (I simply refuse to use the standard GW models), then you have the varghulf (so thats a box of skin wolves), more wolves, adding up your advise its looking close to 200, I really can't go dropping money like that, not when I have already invested a lot of money and time into the army.

I have however made changes to the list, I do agree that the skeletons are to small, also changed the sizes and formations of the ghouls and grave guard, i think I was being a little silly using them as horde units, they are just not big enough sadly, both those units will be in 7x4 formations with hero vampires, I did want the screaming banner on the skeleton warriors however I ended up having to choose between either red fury or staff of damnation and screaming banner,

Lords

Countess Verona Jinette
Vampire Lord
- lvl 3 sorcerer
- Lore of Vampires
- Shield
- Sword of Might
- Armour of Destiny
- Quick Blood
- Red Fury
Total 443pts

Heroes

Lady Aleera Jinette
Count as Manfred the Acolyte
Total 200pts

Victor Helstrum
Vampire
lvl 2 sorcerer
- Lore of Shadow
- Great Weapon
- Heavy Armour
- Nightshroud
- Beguile
- Aura of Dark Majesty
- Dread Knight
Total 242pts

Troops

5 Direwolves
Total 40pts

39 Skeleton Warriors
- Standard
- Musician
Total 215pts

Crazed Villagers
27 Ghouls
- Ghast
Total 280pts

Special

Cursed Teutogen Guard
27 Gave Guard
- Fullcommand
- Great weapons
- Banner of Barrows
Total 404pts

Rare

Enslaved Skin Wolf
Varghulf
Total 175pts

Juicy21
11-07-2012, 13:52
try the mantic zombies there awsome good looking and you get a lot for your money. the only advice i have about your army list is the amount of boddies on the table... isnt this a bit small for a vampire counts army? ( i havent got mutch exp with vampirecounts tho )