PDA

View Full Version : Flyers - 6th's elephant in the room?

unknown_lifeform
02-07-2012, 20:35
A guy in my FLGS has an airborne themed guard army consisting of 2 vendettas, 2 valyries and 1 vulture gunship. In 5th facing it made for a challenging but fun game. But whilst contemplating how I would deal with it in 6th I began to realise that there seems to be some pretty major problems with flyers.

As we all know vendettas were pretty good in 5th and already represented fantastic value for points. Now they can zoom which gives them immunity from assault, immunity to blast weapons and can only be hit on 6s from non-skyfire ranged weapons. Glancing hits will no longer stop them firing and if you do get hit by something nasty you can opt to evade for a 5+ jink save. Immobilised results won't stop them moving, just vector lock them. Vendettas will be a bit more vulnerable in hover mode - which they'll sometimes need to enter to drop off units or if they want to start on the board, but still gain a jink save as long as they move. The vendetta also comes with decent front and side armour (which means a flying hive tyrants vector strike will only glance on a 6) and 3 twin linked lascannons making it exceptionally good against other flyers and AA ground vehicles.

I've used the vendetta to illustrate my point because it seems the biggest offender, but necrons can also field massed flyers.

I had originally believed GW would update all armies in their FAQs to have widespread access to anti-flyer weaponry to balance these new additions to the game but as far as I'm aware only guard got an AA unit in the form of the hydra. That GW didn't use the FAQs for this implies that we will have to wait for codexes to be slowly redone to gain access to AA weapons. I've no doubt GW will hurry to release more flyers for the factions that currently don't have them, but in their absence how are we supposed to deal with mass flyers? Even with them, is the only viable counter to spam flyers of your own? Should nids cry and go home?

I'm genuinely hoping I've missed something. Maybe the forthcomming aeronautica forgeworld book will sort everyone out with AA weaponry and flyers alike and bring some balance?

Col. Dash
02-07-2012, 20:52
If FW is allowed, most armies already have AA units. That was what I was hoping for from GW, a nod that FW is perfectly legal so everyone can end the silly argument about it. Flak wagons, whirlwinds with AA missiles, Firestorms, Sky Rays, etc, the vehicles already exist, just GW needs to say we can use them officially.

xerxeshavelock
02-07-2012, 20:53
Pretty sure the way they have done it will sell the most figures, and thats probably the end of it sadly. People with fliers will have an advantage against some armies, others such as sides with FMC and some units such as Looters will prob be ok as well, but its going to create an arms race for sure.

I am really surprised they didn't get their own category on the Force Organisation chart.

Nicho
02-07-2012, 20:58
buy an aegis defence line with a quad gun an there you go, though thats obviously what GW want you to do lol

Yak
02-07-2012, 20:58
So a company that makes money from selling models releases a new range of fliers, and you are surprised that they are given strong rules with little counter at present? Will you also be surprised when each sucessive codex gets a new, expensive plastic kit anti-aircraft until fliers are nerfed into the ground? (pun very much intended).

xerxeshavelock
02-07-2012, 21:01
As a house rule I am going to suggest everyone picks one unit in their army to have the Skyfire rule. That way they lose utility against normal targets but help against fliers without people being pressured into buying kits.

Lastie
02-07-2012, 21:03
We all expect GW to give their latest shiny toys awesome rules (sometimes to the expense of others. Most of us here can probably still remember the Trygon/Carnifex issue). I get the impression the OP here believes they have gone too far this time and while I'm still making my mind up (waiting to play a few games first to see how nasty Flyers with little in the way to stop them) I can see his point. It currently seems the best anti-Flyer defence is another Flyer.
A little annoying for those of us who like to keep our feet on the ground.

Rick Blaine
02-07-2012, 21:26
That idiom doesn't really work, Flyers are hardly being ignored.

Lastie
02-07-2012, 21:39
That idiom doesn't really work, Flyers are hardly being ignored.

Who's ignoring Flyers? We're in a thread about them.

Rick Blaine
02-07-2012, 21:44
Who's ignoring Flyers? We're in a thread about them.

The OP seems to think they're being ignored. That's what the title means.

hobojebus
02-07-2012, 21:51
If we had some clue how you are supposed to buy AA missiles for your launchers i'd be less bothered but at the moment yes flyers are going to be a pain.

Lord Damocles
02-07-2012, 21:53
Flying elephants!?

Arghh!
:eek:

Torga_DW
02-07-2012, 21:59
Flying elephants!?

Arghh!
:eek:

pretty sure that ones a sign of the apocalypse

xxRavenxx
02-07-2012, 22:00
Flying elephants!?

Did someone just call for some quality disney racism? (http://youtu.be/s35puUhqQJc?t=14s) I think they did... :P

Also, yes, I imagine flyers may pose a problem if spammed until some AA units crop up. Luckily, in moderation they don't seem too bad.

Battleworthy Arts
02-07-2012, 22:06
We apoc players aren't bothered. In fact to us, they've been nerfed