PDA

View Full Version : Deciding on my current Army...

Stormtrooper Clark
02-07-2012, 21:02
I am looking at 'properly' getting back into 40k. I've had a bit of an exodus for a while, at least properly playing the game.

My first army roughly... ooo, ten years ago now(?) was the Imperial Guard. I've always loved that whole "Average Joe takes on the Grimdarkness and dies horribly" feel to them, though I reckon that's said a lot. I also love shooty armies and gunlines, though the painting does get irksome after a while... I'm a perfectionist and if not every single one is perfect the twitching begins.

Daemonhunters were my second love; I always enjoyed the fluff regarding the Inquisition, the "ends justify the means" style, especially after playing Dark Heresy for a stint. Being one of the most (if not the, next to old Dark Eldar) least played army always made them an appealing choice. See, I'm a fluffy nerd at heart and so seeing my Imperial Guard go up against Space Marine Flavour of the Week makes me frown some. At this point my guardsmen must have wiped out about thirty Chapter's worth of them... poor sods. The Daemonhunters let my OCD for that slide quite a bit since hey, nobody is safe right?

Then come Grey Knights... I knew the resurgence was going to be popular, but everywhere I looked on the intehwebz I just saw threads complaining about them. Grey Knights everywhere, Grey Knights are OP, "I hate Grey Knights". The frowny faces hit when the local stores were running out of them to sell and I was being told how much of a "smash hit" they were. Dirty looks abounded when those poor sods came out of the case... even the classic metal ones. Even my fluffy-OCD can't make excuses for fighting other Grey Knight armies! Were they coating their blood in... pure Grey Knight blood... to... make it... more... pure?

So aye, that's my situation at the moment. It's a toss up between the Imperial Guard, Grey Knights & Chaos Legions. I've never dabbled much in Chaos, but the sound of the new codex certainly seems interesting, especially the parts regarding Cultists. The new Allies rules would allow me to bounce between Imperial Guard & Grey Knights on a whim which is very appealing and reminds me of "The good old underdog days" quite a bit.

Are Grey Knights still the overplayed "ugh... not again..." army they once were? How are things 'balancing' out for them in 6th Edition? Stronger? Weaker?

Spider-pope
02-07-2012, 21:34
I am looking at 'properly' getting back into 40k. I've had a bit of an exodus for a while, at least properly playing the game.

My first army roughly... ooo, ten years ago now(?) was the Imperial Guard. I've always loved that whole "Average Joe takes on the Grimdarkness and dies horribly" feel to them, though I reckon that's said a lot. I also love shooty armies and gunlines, though the painting does get irksome after a while... I'm a perfectionist and if not every single one is perfect the twitching begins.

Daemonhunters were my second love; I always enjoyed the fluff regarding the Inquisition, the "ends justify the means" style, especially after playing Dark Heresy for a stint. Being one of the most (if not the, next to old Dark Eldar) least played army always made them an appealing choice. See, I'm a fluffy nerd at heart and so seeing my Imperial Guard go up against Space Marine Flavour of the Week makes me frown some. At this point my guardsmen must have wiped out about thirty Chapter's worth of them... poor sods. The Daemonhunters let my OCD for that slide quite a bit since hey, nobody is safe right?

Then come Grey Knights... I knew the resurgence was going to be popular, but everywhere I looked on the intehwebz I just saw threads complaining about them. Grey Knights everywhere, Grey Knights are OP, "I hate Grey Knights". The frowny faces hit when the local stores were running out of them to sell and I was being told how much of a "smash hit" they were. Dirty looks abounded when those poor sods came out of the case... even the classic metal ones. Even my fluffy-OCD can't make excuses for fighting other Grey Knight armies! Were they coating their blood in... pure Grey Knight blood... to... make it... more... pure?

So aye, that's my situation at the moment. It's a toss up between the Imperial Guard, Grey Knights & Chaos Legions. I've never dabbled much in Chaos, but the sound of the new codex certainly seems interesting, especially the parts regarding Cultists. The new Allies rules would allow me to bounce between Imperial Guard & Grey Knights on a whim which is very appealing and reminds me of "The good old underdog days" quite a bit.

Are Grey Knights still the overplayed "ugh... not again..." army they once were? How are things 'balancing' out for them in 6th Edition? Stronger? Weaker?

Grey Knights are heavily played from what i can gather, no idea yet how they fare in 6th ed. I would just caution you, from experience playing Daemons in fantasy, that even if your only reason for playing Grey Knights is because you like the fluff or models you will still be regarded by a lot of people as a WAAC powergamer.

Chaos wise, you've already heard they are getting a new codex soon. So it may be worth holding off a bit lest you start the army only to find them completely undesirable. It's not likely but its a possibility.

Stormtrooper Clark
03-07-2012, 02:34
My current plan would be to run a mostly Inquisition force with some Imperial Guard allies, thought that does rather severely cut down on my options. Hopefully it would cut down on the eye trolls and glares a bit.

Charistoph
03-07-2012, 06:50
*Pulls out a Miller Lite and slams it on the table*
Howabout Both!

Imperial Guard mix well with both Grey Knights and Chaos Legions, so if you still have your old IG models, use them up while having GK or CL as an Ally. Heck, I dare say, collect both Grey Knights AND Chaos Marines. If you REALLY want to go crazy with theming, do Word Bearers (or a break-away group of them) for the Chaos Legion so you can have crazy psycho marines as your IG's support! Then when you have enough built up, your IG can second the other guys.

xerxeshavelock
03-07-2012, 09:33
What about your regular opponents? I chose Chaos because all my friends had Loyalists and I wanted to do a power-armoured force. That said - I used a lot of Imperial components to represent early Black Legion. I have really loved using them, even though the codex is considered a bit average they still play as I want them to. The new book may make them better, and will sure as introduce some new units and cool new models!