PDA

View Full Version : Glue War Machine and its crews altogether?

TheGreenShogun
02-07-2012, 23:00
Hi,

I have 3 Goblin Rock Lobbers and I'm the kind of guy who likes to have everything based, compact and tidied up for easy transporting. In 8th Edition, the crew machines are nothing more than "glorified wound counters," I wonder if it's a good idea to glue the crew models unto the same base with the machine. All the 3 Rock Lobbers are on 50x100mm base each. I'll just use a red-colored dice to keep track of the wounds on each machine.

Do you think 9th Edition will change?

Good or bad idea?

Thanks.

The bearded one
02-07-2012, 23:10
Nobody can say anything about 9th edition yet, only the developers. I think it may stay the same, but it may be deemed clunky as well and rewritten altogether.

Personally I assembled my grudge thrower with 1 crewmember attached to the warmachine. When the last crewmember dies, the entire warmachine is removed anyway, so there's no need to have those seperate anyway.

jaysta
03-07-2012, 01:20
I also glue the last crew member to the base. The other two, I stick magnets on, and i remove them from their 'spot' when the machine takes a wound.

theunwantedbeing
03-07-2012, 01:28
In preparation for 12th edition, I leave all my models unassembled and in their packages stored in my attic.

Seriously, you can take models apart once they have been glued together.
So don't bother thinking about 9th edition, it isn't happening for a very long time (GW is far too busy with 6th ed 40k) so just go off 8th edition.

Leave 1 guy on the same base as the machine, have the others detachable unless the machine has a shared profile of wounds.
You can use a dice if you want though, totally your call.

Urgat
03-07-2012, 02:45
Personally I assembled my grudge thrower with 1 crewmember attached to the warmachine. When the last crewmember dies, the entire warmachine is removed anyway, so there's no need to have those seperate anyway.

"facepalm" That never even occured to me

Hicks
03-07-2012, 04:06
Someone on the trade forums was selling some really nice resin bases with slots for detachable crewmen. You could use somethings like that. It looks really clean and facilitates gameplay, while allowing you to base everything the same way.

Lorcryst
03-07-2012, 10:51
Well, I don't use bases for my Warmachines, except maybe for the WoC Hellcanon when I'll get around to buy it, but seeing as it's more a Monster than a Warmachine, he needs a base ...

In 8th, when charging a Warmachine, you only need to connect with a point on the machine itself ... glueing a single Crew model on it could mean that on that facing, the floorprint of the machine is 20 mm bigger, thus allowing a shorter charge range for the enemy ...

Also, the Crew often moves during the game, when pivoting to align a shot, or when getting out of the way when charged ...

So, all in all, I'd say to keep the Crew unglued and the machine itself without a base ... bad look maybe, but more easier to play with with the current rules ...

Metacarpi
03-07-2012, 13:09
I'm a crew gluer, but I've only got Warp Lightning Cannons which come with room on the machine/base.

I use dice for the wounds - my reasoning being that the models are there to get the imagination running, and I like the look of the warmachines covered in scampering rats trying to make it work..... or sabotage it.

Maybe that's why I have rotten luck with my warmachines... :shifty:

SVKBaki
04-07-2012, 10:41
I second that, I base my warmachine, glue the crew and use the dice as a wound marker. If something makes its way warmachine, then the machine is probably destroyed in that turn, so I dont bother with removing the crew

Yowzo
04-07-2012, 10:50
I use counters for wounds on my warmachines on a base (not all of them, but working on more). If it works for chariots or monsters why shouldn't it work for warmachines?

DaemonReign
04-07-2012, 10:54
I also glue the last crew member to the base. The other two, I stick magnets on, and i remove them from their 'spot' when the machine takes a wound.

This is what we've started doing in our Group as well in 8th.
Round scenic bases of suitable size for all Warmachines (ranging from round 60mm bases for DE BoltThrowers, all the way up to Compact Discs being used for the larger OnG RockLobbers).
'Last Man Standing' permanently attached to the base. Excess wound-counters magnetized (including optional Bullies/Engineers).
My personal Review of this is that it's kind of pretentious if you've got lots of unpainted models that really needs your attention more compared to fixing up Warmachines like this..
But it looks really nice of course!

Urgat
04-07-2012, 13:50
That's a very big base for the rock lobba, a CD. No way I'd do that, it'd take twice the room it takes already in my deployment zone, and it's already crowded as it is...

DaemonReign
04-07-2012, 14:17
I agree with you Urgat. Those CD-sized bases are a bit big. We have 3 Rock-Lobbers and one of them is a really huge (about twice as big as the current model, don't know how old or where-from really), but for the other two 'normal' ones it's a bit much.
On the other hand, we tend to play with enough space so it's not a problem.
I should add it's really my friends who's gone wild with the roundbases and the magnets.. Being a Daemon player first and foremost these Days, there arn't much WMs to worry about.. :)

Urgat
04-07-2012, 14:36
I agree with you Urgat. Those CD-sized bases are a bit big. We have 3 Rock-Lobbers and one of them is a really huge (about twice as big as the current model, don't know how old or where-from really), but for the other two 'normal' ones it's a bit much.
Can't say. I got the current one (orc head counterweight), the previous one (blazing red gate o' doom) and the one before (Skullcrusher the talking lobba!), and the only other one I can think of is smaller. It's probably just a toy, your lobba :D

On the other hand, we tend to play with enough space so it's not a problem.
Ah well, me too, my playing "table" is really large for the points we play, but still... gobs armies take a lot of place, and we're heavy-handed on the scenery.

}I should add it's really my friends who's gone wild with the roundbases and the magnets.. Being a Daemon player first and foremost these Days, there arn't much WMs to worry about.. :)
Impressive army by the way (love the side shot of the 120 horrors for some reason). I wish I was one of your "lazy friends", maybe my goblin army would be completely painted now :p

DaemonReign
04-07-2012, 14:47
I'm gonna have to take a Picture of that wierd rock-lobber.. I'm sure you'll spot it once you see it. I'm sure it's not a toy.. but I'm not sure it's GW make either.
Cool you checked out my plog. Yeah waaaay too much non-Daemonic stuff in there. O&G was at least my first army.. But lately it's been all about covering the 'holes' left by my friends' inability to go all border-line on hobbies like I do..
Glad you like! :)