PDA

View Full Version : Dice rolling pace

T10
03-07-2012, 10:31
I've not yet had opportunity to play a game with the new rules, but I'm curious to learn wether dice rolling is now noticably slower than before.

The reason I suspect it is is in-sequence way wounds are allocated to be saved.

There are a few "shortcuts" to be sure, at least when resolving attacks against uniform saves. But mix in differences in AP, instant death, Look out Sir!, varying armour saves, invulnerable saves and cover saves it seems to me there's potential for dice rolling to come to a crawl. Hard to say without seeing the game in action, though.

Anyone care to comment?

-T10

xerxeshavelock
03-07-2012, 10:37
Taking saves seems a little slower - sometimes you will keep rolling for the tfront guy until he dies with some mixed units, but wound allocation may end up being slightly quicker in the long run.

archie-d
03-07-2012, 10:52
Played one game so far, i think overall the two balance each other out, mixed save units with the better save guy at the front take a little longer, but having a squad all with the same save and just being able to roll all the saves in one go and taking off the closest guys saves time over the old wound allocations.

T10
03-07-2012, 11:20
Taking saves seems a little slower - sometimes you will keep rolling for the tfront guy until he dies with some mixed units, but wound allocation may end up being slightly quicker in the long run.

Well, allocating hits between various groups of models was its own little mini-game in 5th edition. Not saying it was a bad design, but sometimes left the allocating player fiddling around a bit looking for the optimal way to allocate hits in order to waste enemy hits. :)

-T10

Chapters Unwritten
03-07-2012, 15:03
The amount of time you save not having to do anything but roll mass like saves for most units makes up for any added time anywhere else, honestly.