PDA

View Full Version : Mild confusion over fortifications.

Fenrisian Ale
03-07-2012, 14:29
First off, may I start by saying I am still working my way through the rule book, so forgive me if this is explained there and I haven't got to it yet. It takes longer to digest once you've done this 6 times I still have things floating around in my head from generations ago like the damage of a lascannon being 3d6+9.

Anyway, with fortifications now costing points does that mean that if one or other side doesn't buy them, then they cannot be used in that match? If they can be, in what capacity would they work, would they become inanimate in the sense that all the special rules for them wouldn't happen?

Also the landing platform, is that any good in it's barrier down mode? With barriers down it allows deep-striking onto it not to scatter. However, both sides can work the barriers, so if you put the platform near the opposition they'll just get a model in base contact and put the barriers up. If you put it on your side why deep-strike? Am I missing something.

Finally, and I know this is forgeworld not GW, any ideas on how the Imperial Strongpoint should fit into the rules? any ideas what sensible points it would be worth?

totgeboren
03-07-2012, 14:50
Neutral buildings can/should be deemed 'dilapidated', and as such have 2 point lower AV on all sides according to the rules, but this is up to you and your opponent. An intact bunker can have an unfairly large impact on the battle otherwise I assume.

Aryllon
03-07-2012, 17:59
Also the landing platform, is that any good in it's barrier down mode? With barriers down it allows deep-striking onto it not to scatter. However, both sides can work the barriers, so if you put the platform near the opposition they'll just get a model in base contact and put the barriers up. If you put it on your side why deep-strike? Am I missing something.

Good point. Maybe worthwhile for Chaos Daemons though? Keep some Plaguebearers in reserve out of harm's way, then just deep strike them late-on onto an objective in a (hopefully well protected) spot well away from the enemy. Then put the barriers up for the bonus save. If they were hard to shift before, they'll be even harder now :rolleyes:

It also means that if your opponent wants to prevent you deep-striking with accuracy, they have to commit units to something they might otherwise not be doing or footslog over to a location away from where they would rather be.

Back to your original question; if it's something people spend points on, surely it doesn't matter whether the opposition also uses them or not? Just like allies? If you buy a fortification but they don't, they get more points than you to spend on their army...

Commissar Davis
03-07-2012, 22:11
See pages 92 onwards.