PDA

View Full Version : 290 pts spare for my IG, what to get?

Commissar Davis
03-07-2012, 15:03
Requesting thoughts from other IG players.

With the arrival of 6ed, and no FW FAQ as yet, I am dropping my Malcador temporarily from my lists... but what to replace it with?

So I have 290pts and a self imposed few restriction.

1. No Leman Russ tanks, I have written them out of the fluff for my army. They don't build them, but do the Malcador, and this has lead to people being happy with me using it.

2. No Plasma gun, unless on Storm Troopers. Again, this is a fluff issue.

I already have 7 Chimera with autocannon and 2 armoured Sentinels with lascannon.

I am considering Agis lines and Bastions, as my army is based on being a Pioneer Corps. I am also thinking Vals with Multiple Missile pods... thoughts?

Memnos
03-07-2012, 15:07
Sounds like you made a mechanized list in the last edition. Couple of thoughts:

You could make a combined list, with units of footsloggers acting as panzergrenadiers and tank accompaniment.

You could ally with Grey Knights and take an Inquisitor and Retinue as your Troops(What'sisface, who makes Retinues core) choice, representing the power-behind-the-army.

I don't really know your concept, so it's tricky.

matt_17
03-07-2012, 15:10
Two vendettas with hb sponsons...

Commissar Davis
03-07-2012, 15:51
Sounds like you made a mechanized list in the last edition. Couple of thoughts:

You could make a combined list, with units of footsloggers acting as panzergrenadiers and tank accompaniment.

You could ally with Grey Knights and take an Inquisitor and Retinue as your Troops(What'sisface, who makes Retinues core) choice, representing the power-behind-the-army.

I don't really know your concept, so it's tricky.

The concept for the army is based on the Royal Pioneers Corps (http://www.royalpioneercorps.co.uk/rpc/history_main1.htm) So not quite Infantry, not quite Engineers, not quite Logistics and not quite Artillery, but a little of all. A little of the WIP general background. (http://z4.invisionfree.com/Boot_Camp/index.php?showtopic=12890&hl=)

Hulkster
03-07-2012, 15:55
2 Vendettas would sense to me

ehlijen
03-07-2012, 16:00
Veteran squads with meltabombs? Those rock against monstrous creatures now.
10 with meltabombs, carapace and your choice of 3 flamers/grenade launchers come to 145, which is half of 290

xerxeshavelock
03-07-2012, 16:14
I'd be getting a Hydra in there somewhere. Do it before its cool. Oh, wait...

Commissar Davis
03-07-2012, 22:46
Well I think I will go Aegis with quad gun, 3 heavy weapon and 3 special weapon teams.

Chem-Dog
03-07-2012, 23:27
Veteran squads with meltabombs? Those rock against monstrous creatures now.
10 with meltabombs, carapace and your choice of 3 flamers/grenade launchers come to 145, which is half of 290

Not to mention the fact the Meltabombs come with a free Demo Charge! Watch you opponent's face drop as that template he thought was a frag grenade smooshes his whole squad of Marines :D

I'd be getting a Hydra in there somewhere. Do it before its cool. Oh, wait...

You can squeeze a whole squadron of them in at that sort of points value. An added bonus now as squadrons don't suck. No more "Oh no the tank that doesn't intend on moving throughout the battle has been immobilised, hit self destruct" nonsense.

A few alternative options.
Go HUGE on the Sentinels. Sentinels are great. Everyone should give them a go (again, the newer sensible approach to squadrons helps a lot). Go for a full Squadron or Two.

Ogryn are my other suggestion. They are big and like to punch stuff and in a big enough squad they can really shred stuff in the shooting phase. If you have a HQ slot spare take a Primaris Psyker and buddy him up with the Ogryn, There are a couple of Psychic powers in the new stuff that really do wonders with Ogryn. Endurance, Fire Shield specifically stand out by making the big brutes a good bit more survivable.

El_Machinae
04-07-2012, 00:27
When I think of 'engineer-soldiers', I think of satchel-bombs for sapping and mortar-fire