PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Tau, a new codex, and FOC.

cuda1179
03-07-2012, 15:30
With a friend starting Tau they have once again sparked my curiosity. A couple months back I was reading through the rumors. It was all pretty exciting, but it left me a little puzzled.
Tau are supposed to (if rumors are true) be getting a handful of new units. While new allies sound promissing it looks like they might be displacing other units in the Force Org. Chart, especially in the elites and heavy support section. If that's the case, might current units shift to a different spot on the FOC?
If I had to guess, I might think that pathfinders could be troops, Stealth Suits go to fast attack (special character making them troops). I think I might like the idea of a more suit-heavy Tau army.

myrdinn
03-07-2012, 15:53
Allies get their own force org chart (you have to take HQ and 1 unit troops to unlock FA, HS etc). I'd be surprised if pathfinders and stealth suits got reallocated to different FOC slots, but I guess anything's possible! It's pretty easy to build a suit-heavy Tau list under the current rules anyway?

Charistoph
03-07-2012, 16:35
Suit-heavy is easy, especially if your group accepts Forgeworld models. Those Fast Attack Hazard Suits are smexy.

As for FOC movement, talk to your group and see if they would accept you moving Stealths to Troops if you took Shadowsun as an HQ (might not, Stealth Suits have had some VERY interesting changes) or Farsight for Crisis Suits.

Zabousta
03-07-2012, 17:33
Tau seem like they will fair well in 6th....still waiting to play my first match with them however. Yea, you can get 15 crisis suits without using Farsight.

I really don't want to see anymore heavy choices for Tau, they have enough already. (Broadsides and Hammerheads being great choices.) I would rather they improve the Skyray a bit and leave it at that. (possibly moving the sniper team to somewhere besides heavy.)

Other than that, just some rounding out of the current units, and fixing a few of them.

Also many of their special rules have just been removed. Some of the war gear can't be used. Some has changed.

I just won a match using Tau against IG, so I mean....they can win. They just have an annoying amount of ditched rules.

Charistoph
03-07-2012, 18:49
I really don't want to see anymore heavy choices for Tau, they have enough already. (Broadsides and Hammerheads being great choices.) I would rather they improve the Skyray a bit and leave it at that. (possibly moving the sniper team to somewhere besides heavy.)

I don't know about that. Sky Ray is the obvious Skyfire choice for the army. Sniper Drone Teams should be integrated into Fire Warrior/Pathfinder teams, definitely. But we could easily see some interesting options for Kroot, Demiurg, or maybe even Vespid, options to be included in Heavy Support.