PDA

View Full Version : Daemon Prince Tales

Dark_Mage99
03-07-2012, 16:15
I've decided to get back into the game, and make a themed army using Warriors of Chaos as the base.

My general will be a Daemon Prince. This won't be changed by how expensive they are, or the fact that sorcerers can do what they do, or everyone online saying they are a waste or pointless or useless.

So with that said - I was wondering if any of you have gone against the grain and fielded one? Or fought against one?

Do you have any cool stories to share of their wonderful exploits?

Any epic duels or masterful feats?

abdulaapocolyps
03-07-2012, 16:29
Hi bud,yeah,I've had success with a daemon prince...
My biggest worry was my HE opponents magic missiles and arrows,so I went nurgle and the magic resistance gift,along with the vomit one.
I was cautious early but then flew over his lines and unleashed Rot,Glorious Rot on his T3 battle line.the elves died in droves!3 turns of it,as well as its ace character sniping spell,and they where dead in the water! Awesome build,awesome impact.a warning though,this only works if you have rot.if you don't your screwed,but if you do fly into his battle lines and watch him wither!

Antipathy
03-07-2012, 16:40
For fun, I run one as -

Level 4, Lore of Death, Fury of the Blood God, Third Eye of Tzeentch, Diabolic Splendour, Stream of Corruption = 560.

Expensive, and only has a 5+ Ward Save and no armour.

However, it can dominate a flank, take out all War Machines, has a 2+ Ward against Wounds caused by Spells, can Terror bomb units away from enemy lines, meaning that if within close range, can potentially catch and destroy fleeing enemies.

Third Eye allows him to cast spells from Lores of the Great Maw (Bloodgruel allows him to heal a wound), Life (Lifebloom), Vampires (Curse of Undeath). Even though they don't know the healing Spells (Regrowth and Invocation of Nehek respectively), they can still heal themselves, while the spells can really help them.

if Facing a lot of Immune to Psychology, you could always take the Conjoined Homonculous in its place to get the spells off.

Sexiest_hero
03-07-2012, 18:02
2500, Two DP, Throgg, Troll core, Ogres in chaos armor two shaggoths. Toss in Lore of metal for the army wide buff and Final trans. Ogers with 2+ saves, and cannons that hvae to go through Troll core before they get to my big monsters. Glorious!

Djekar
03-07-2012, 18:09
I had decent luck with a Death Daemon Prince a while ago. I can see nurgle being alright too. I'd say third eye is a must.

Bring_Back_Chaos_Dwarfs?
04-07-2012, 01:45
Well, if you're going for a spell casting daemon prince, here's an idea:
Daemon Prince (300)
Mark of Tzeentch (15), Level 4 (160), Mantle of Chaos (75)

total 550pts (I'm figuring this for 2250, the regular pts game in my group)

A 4++ save and the subtracting D3 strength from incoming missiles is really nice (despite the price). So he can "comfortably" handle anything but cannonballs (but that's what the MoT is for). Fly him around dodging bullets and blast people with infernal gate as you get a +5 to cast. Yeah it's pricey but he's got some decent protection and can cast like a beast. Really the only reason I'd ever field this kind of build is if I was a bad ass like this dude who painted this Daemon Prince of Tzeentch:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/289585?browseid=2073822

daaaaaannnnnng!

p.s. i'd field a tzeentch demon prince for fun; I don't think I can quite crack that amazing paint/sculpt job.

Baluc
04-07-2012, 03:46
Try cheap and cheerful, Daemon Prince, Mark of Tzeentch. T5 4+ ward. Warriors lack fast hitty troops, this guy can charge into buildings, hit up warmachines, and chaff, tank support units, etc.

That being said, you can go up a notch, and do lvl1, third eye, and conjoined homoculous. +2 to cast, plus d3 to cast, flying, and a larger model so LoS is a little better, than a infantry model.

Add in diabolic splendor to to any build.

Or you can do the whole nine yards.

Doommasters
04-07-2012, 05:20
Only exploits I have seen are DP's getting cannon balled or getting beaten down in combat.

In all honestly I have never seen a DP do anything close to worth it's points outside of Infernal Gatewaying a unit, which any wizard with TZ can do.

Dark_Mage99
09-07-2012, 16:15
Only exploits I have seen are DP's getting cannon balled or getting beaten down in combat.

In all honestly I have never seen a DP do anything close to worth it's points outside of Infernal Gatewaying a unit, which any wizard with TZ can do.

Hmm...

I will just have to hope mine can beat the odds, I guess.

IcedCrow
09-07-2012, 18:48
I've seen a couple DP's do well. An optimizer will never take one though because you can do the same thing with a cheaper model.

If running a DP its essential he has a role and sticks to it. Typically that will be beating down war machines / light missile troops and supporting main units. It takes good cover, some luck, and some good strategy on your part to pull off, but the look on a stunned person's face who was told by the intrawebz that DPs are worthless is well worth the price of admission.

Doommasters
10-07-2012, 04:40
I've seen a couple DP's do well. An optimizer will never take one though because you can do the same thing with a cheaper model.

If running a DP its essential he has a role and sticks to it. Typically that will be beating down war machines / light missile troops and supporting main units. It takes good cover, some luck, and some good strategy on your part to pull off, but the look on a stunned person's face who was told by the intrawebz that DPs are worthless is well worth the price of admission.

There is no doubt they have potential I mean they have the ability to do well, they are just way overcosted have crappy special options and everything they do can be done for much cheaper.

Sorcerer on disk is a better caster as you have 100pts of magic items a Chaos lord will school the DP in combat for the same reason. The DP just has no purpose currently and as a hybrid caster/combat character they fail unlike the Vampire Lord.

I would love to have an army where the general was a Khorne Daemon prince the problem is he just gets dealt to in combat. I did hear a rumor that DP's are getting a major overhaul and the Khorne DP is going to be a real monster in combat?

I don't agree that they should be given magic items per say but there gifts need a massive overhaul and some more special rules would not hurt either.

Example:

Daemon Princes must choose a God

Khorne (pts x)
- Blood Furry: for every wound suffered gain +1A +1S
- Servant of the Blood God: Khorne units within 6" are stubborn
- Eternal Champion: HKB and Hatred when in a challenge

Nurgle (pts)
- Infested: Attacks have the poison special rule and Nurgel DP Immune to Poison
- Servant of Nurgel: Nurgle units within 6" gain the poison special rule
- Rotting Champion: Wounds inflected on the enemy are multipled into d3 wounds

Slannesh (pts)
-Nightmare: for every unsaved wound the enemy unit must pass a ld test or suffer -1 ld for the rest of game
-Servant of Slannesh: Friendly units within 6" cause fear
-Hypnotic Champion: Enemies in base contact must pass a ld test before making their attacks if the test is failed they attack their own unit instead

Tezeentch
-Power Overwhelming: For every successful casting attempt gain +1 to cast for the remainder of the magic phase
-Servant of Tezeetch: Friendly units within 6" can channel for powerdice
-Selfish Champion: Wounds inflicted on emeny mages reduce their magic level by 1