PDA

View Full Version : Preorder shipping dates are a scam

tiger g
03-07-2012, 21:21
Still do not have my 40k rules.

Today get a tracking number by email (thought the book would be at the house when I get home)

Called customer service to find out why this tracking number does not work.

Was told my order was still in a trailer at the dock and has not been picked up by FEDEX yet.

Was told they had to many orders to fill so could not meet the shipping promise on the website.

Oh forgot to tell you I tried to cancel my order last Thursday and was told it was packed and will be shipped the next day. Ordered within 15 minutes of the preorder going live. Did not cancel order and now will not get the book until July 9th with the holiday tomorrow.

Scaryscarymushroom
03-07-2012, 21:27
Well...

I can't say I have much faith in GW's ability to deliver quality products in a timely manner anymore. You'll get your quality eventually, but either you get lucky, or you're gonna have to fight for it. Like finecast. :(

shelfunit.
03-07-2012, 21:31
This is a suprise to people? GW meeting advance order shipping dates has been a problem for at least the whole of this year so far.

jack da greenskin
03-07-2012, 21:31
That;s terrible, but more fool you for buying direct from GW. Buy at your local indie, or off an online discounter.

75hastings69
03-07-2012, 21:40
So glad I don't bother with GW anymore they seem to amble along from one blunder to the next all in the name of profit and at the expense of the customer! Next thing they'll be sending stuff via Home Delivery Network to save more then they'll be lucky if anyone gets anything they've ordered! Lol

tiger g
03-07-2012, 21:43
That;s terrible, but more fool you for buying direct from GW. Buy at your local indie, or off an online discounter.

Local indie is just as bad. needs money up front and forgets to order sometimes. Other indies over an hour away.

tiger g
03-07-2012, 21:45
This is a suprise to people? GW meeting advance order shipping dates has been a problem for at least the whole of this year so far.

Actually had no problems before. With the Empire release recieved by items the day before the offical release date. Real problem was the information giving me last week. The reason is they did not anticipate the volume. Problem is they could have told me last Thursday they were overloaded.

Scammel
03-07-2012, 21:48
Pre-orders is definitely something GW have managed to muck up repeatedly recently. As it stands there's literally no reason not to just buy instore on the day.

Commissar Merces
03-07-2012, 22:05
Actually had no problems before. With the Empire release recieved by items the day before the offical release date. Real problem was the information giving me last week. The reason is they did not anticipate the volume. Problem is they could have told me last Thursday they were overloaded.

Surprised you have never had a problem prior to this. After waiting almost three weeks for an Saint Celestine model I ordered, I had had enough.

I am really sad that people are having such a hard time getting a rulebook.

loveless
03-07-2012, 22:06
I've called out GW's preorder change as a terrible decision several times - wait for several days after release or get it shipped to a GW store. Well, I'm sure that's well and good elsewhere, but Stateside...we don't have GW stores everywhere. My favorite part is that you get the "Shipped" e-mail long before the product releases (typically the Tuesday before if the product is coming out on Saturday) followed by another "Shipped" e-mail on Friday.

GW Direct also has the quickest turn around from "Placed" to "Pending" to "Dispatched" on their order status page I've ever seen. It's nigh-impossible to cancel an order if you've waited more than a day.

It's a botched job and not worth the effort unless you really want the limited item of the month (and your LGS fails you).

Upon querying them (repeatedly...quite a long e-mail chain from what I recall), I was effectively told "It's not changing" and "Don't worry, we'll have a GW Store near you soon!".

I live in a state with a population density of about 11 people per square mile and just over 150,000 people in our largest city. I highly doubt any area near me is desirable from a GW standpoint.

ColShaw
03-07-2012, 22:07
This reminds me of the old saying among engineers:

You want your product to be:
1) Fast
2) Cheap
3) Good

Pick two.

Unfortunately, in GW's case, you only get to pick 1...

codeslingerMalthius
03-07-2012, 22:13
Unfortunately, in GW's case, you only get to pick 1...
No, THEY pick one: Cheap. For them. Then raise the price by 50% for good measure.

Sean_OBrien
03-07-2012, 22:43
Still do not have my 40k rules.

Today get a tracking number by email (thought the book would be at the house when I get home)

Called customer service to find out why this tracking number does not work.

Was told my order was still in a trailer at the dock and has not been picked up by FEDEX yet.

Was told they had to many orders to fill so could not meet the shipping promise on the website.

Oh forgot to tell you I tried to cancel my order last Thursday and was told it was packed and will be shipped the next day. Ordered within 15 minutes of the preorder going live. Did not cancel order and now will not get the book until July 9th with the holiday tomorrow.

You need to actually get them on the phone and push the issue up the chain. When you pay premium prices, you should get premium service - and when they fail...you should get a premium apology. In this case, I probably wouldn't be satisfied till they refunded my payment and shipped the product...though I tend to be a bit more of a jerk in this regards. You should at the very least be able to get shipping charges credited back to you or some other freebie in the form of an apology for their incompetence.

tiger g
04-07-2012, 02:57
No shipping charges over the minimum limit. By the way gw in the states is closed tomorrow for the holiday AND Thursday so the failed to meet their promises and close the warehouse.

At least they sent my FedEx info to their system but the product is not picked up

blongbling
04-07-2012, 08:34
deliberate ploy to get you to go into stores maybe?

6mmhero
04-07-2012, 09:02
Pre-orders these days are only shipped on the day of release (unless you order to a store, in which case it is guaranteed to be there on release). Its a shame as you would think with a pre order you might get it a day or two early not have it dispatched on the day of release.
This is the first pre-order that I have heard of that has been messed up/delayed. It seems like the ball has been dropped big time, get on the phone and tlak to Customer service a bit more when they reopen and explain how disapointed you are with the level of service etc.
From my experience the level of customer service from GW is always fantastic and is always better than online discounters and LGS (note just my experience).

Hope you get your book soon.

tiger g
04-07-2012, 12:23
Pre-orders these days are only shipped on the day of release (unless you order to a store, in which case it is guaranteed to be there on release). Its a shame as you would think with a pre order you might get it a day or two early not have it dispatched on the day of release.
This is the first pre-order that I have heard of that has been messed up/delayed. It seems like the ball has been dropped big time, get on the phone and tlak to Customer service a bit more when they reopen and explain how disapointed you are with the level of service etc.
From my experience the level of customer service from GW is always fantastic and is always better than online discounters and LGS (note just my experience).

Hope you get your book soon.

Waiting30 minutes to get a person. Did express how disappointed I was. Talk about promises made and how I tried to cancel it 6 days prior and the assurances made by them. Best he could do is cancel the order and ask FedEx to return package ( had not left warehouse yet) could take up to 8 days for the refund but possibility it would be delivered still and no refund.

It seemed they were bombarded with these calls and nothing he could do. They could have worked around the clock with FedEx over the weekend and warned them what was happening but that would have cost them extra money. So most people give up on the phone call.

Finally FedEx has acknowledge book is in their possession in Memphis. Delivery this Friday.

Really nothing this person could do. Hopefully when i get it, it is not one of the misprinted copies or this starts all over again.(actually that is solved by telling PayPal did not receive the product as promised)

The bearded one
04-07-2012, 13:29
So glad I don't bother with GW anymore they seem to amble along from one blunder to the next all in the name of profit and at the expense of the customer!

Not sending out the order earns them profit?

In that case, I think I found the road to becoming a millionair.

I guess if people collectively stop bothering with preordering (except for limited items), maybe GW won't be too swamped with orders to send all of them out on time ;) I'm not all that surprised there are too many preorder for a new edition to send them out on time. Only sending them out on the day of release though, I still find that a very questionable decision to prevent the product from arriving too soon.. if so worried about it, just send out the preorders from the furthest destinations first! :shifty:

Vazalaar
04-07-2012, 13:35
I haven't had any problems with GW deliveries. They are a hell of a lot fast than Maelstrom games. (I know Maelstrom can't help it, as they only can place only one order a week by GW).
But GW shouldn't call it advance/pre-orders anymore as you get them after the official release.

I wish they went back to their old system, when you recieved your advance order atleast a week before the official release.

For normal orders I find GW exceptional fast, maybe it is because I live in Europe.

Chaos and Evil
04-07-2012, 14:10
GW's Preorder shipping dates are a scam
Yes, yes they are. They ship on the day the models/books are released in stores, so you are guaranteed to get them *after* they've already been on the shelves for several days.

xxRavenxx
04-07-2012, 17:43
They decided on their new shipping method in order to satisfy their retailer's demands to not be "outcompeted" by their own distributor, via week early releases. Its very bad business to do so, and GW made a move to prevent it.

I notice that most of these complaints about terrible shipping seem to be US based though. The UK has never had such issues so far as I know. Nearly all items come in a timely manner.

tiger g
04-07-2012, 19:54
Yes, yes they are. They ship on the day the models/books are released in stores, so you are guaranteed to get them *after* they've already been on the shelves for several days.

If they shipped on that date I would be okay. Mine is still sitting in a trailer.

Grimtuff
04-07-2012, 22:10
So glad I don't bother with GW anymore they seem to amble along from one blunder to the next all in the name of profit and at the expense of the customer! Next thing they'll be sending stuff via Home Delivery Network to save more then they'll be lucky if anyone gets anything they've ordered! Lol

They already do. My Dark Eldar stuff was sent out via them. Massive hole in the parcel when I finally got it at 5pm that evening after arranging redelivery...

Iron Puritan
04-07-2012, 22:43
They decided on their new shipping method in order to satisfy their retailer's demands to not be "outcompeted" by their own distributor, via week early releases. Its very bad business to do so, and GW made a move to prevent it.

I notice that most of these complaints about terrible shipping seem to be US based though. The UK has never had such issues so far as I know. Nearly all items come in a timely manner.

I've noticed this as well. Dealing with US suppliers has been real hassle due to the 4th of July falling during the middle of the week. This is often a very difficult week when dealing with US suppliers, but this year seems to be a bit worse than usual. Same thing applies for the US Thanksgiving week - lots of difficulty with suppliers because so many people take time off and don't make adequate plans for their absence.

Edit: Ordering stuff is usually not a problem, but the main difficulty lies in addressing customer service issues.

eron12
05-07-2012, 06:30
With a place as small as the UK I would hope things get shipped in a timely manner.

Of course I would also hope a company the size of GW would have its act together. Oh well.

tiger g
05-07-2012, 12:54
My book is only 20 miles away. Hope for today?

frankencowx
05-07-2012, 13:51
Same situation here TC. Estimated delivery is the 9th now :( Got the fake shipping confirmation and everything on the 26th of June too...

Reinholt
05-07-2012, 13:55
undeliberate ploy to get you to buy from other companies that don't screw up their shipping?

Fixed that for you.

All joking aside, here's what I don't understand: if the pre-order won't ship until the normal orders would have shipped, unless you are after something truly limited edition, why pre-order at all? Just regular order once the thing comes out, or order from a discounter so you at least save some money.

Why give GW your money early? Makes no sense. And getting your item later by pre-ordering implies to me that you shouldn't pre-order from GW.

tiger g
05-07-2012, 20:17
Fixed that for you.

All joking aside, here's what I don't understand: if the pre-order won't ship until the normal orders would have shipped, unless you are after something truly limited edition, why pre-order at all? Just regular order once the thing comes out, or order from a discounter so you at least save some money.

Why give GW your money early? Makes no sense. And getting your item later by pre-ordering implies to me that you shouldn't pre-order from GW.

Stores around me do not carry the full line of anything so usually preorder. They typically ship the Friday they are released and I get it Monday. (sometimes ship on the Wednesday and i get it on the release day).

Do not want to spend the $15 train ticket and 45 minute ride to NYC (then a subway) to the store.

What upsets me on this I was told it was shipping on Friday and notified it was only to find out it did not leave Memphis to this morning.

Not sure where my book is now as they claimed it was tried to be delived but family who was at home did not here or see anyone come.

So book is in limbo again.

Reinholt
05-07-2012, 21:57
Stores around me do not carry the full line of anything so usually preorder. They typically ship the Friday they are released and I get it Monday. (sometimes ship on the Wednesday and i get it on the release day).

Do not want to spend the $15 train ticket and 45 minute ride to NYC (then a subway) to the store.

What upsets me on this I was told it was shipping on Friday and notified it was only to find out it did not leave Memphis to this morning.

Not sure where my book is now as they claimed it was tried to be delived but family who was at home did not here or see anyone come.

So book is in limbo again.

Use an internet discounter. Seriously. It's not that hard. You get stuff at roughly the same time and save money.

If you are right near NYC I know for a fact that the war store, as on example of many, is not far; you get quick shipping and stuff delivered with more reliability than GW, in my experience.

loveless
05-07-2012, 23:01
Use an internet discounter. Seriously. It's not that hard. You get stuff at roughly the same time and save money.

As an example, I ordered my rulebook from Miniature Market (which is probably the physically closest online store to me) on Friday along with some other gubbins. It showed up at my house over lunch today (having actually shipped on Monday due to my late-day ordering).

If there's not a store around you or your LGS has already sold their first shipment, it's probably a decent plan to just get it from a store online.

tiger g
05-07-2012, 23:50
Saga continues. FedEx tracking says cannot deliver but company is closed. So I go to FedEx location where it says it is. They state entry is wrong and package is in warehouse for delivery tomorrow cannot get it for me. So book is1.5 miles from my house but have to wait one more day
Hopefully

The bearded one
06-07-2012, 00:49
Saga continues. FedEx tracking says cannot deliver but company is closed. So I go to FedEx location where it says it is. They state entry is wrong and package is in warehouse for delivery tomorrow cannot get it for me. So book is1.5 miles from my house but have to wait one more day
Hopefully

That's definately GWs fault, right there!

I propose not to preorder anymore, but just order regularly. And I don't mean go to a store and physically go and get it, but just order it online on/after the day of release, because with a preorder they're not going to ship it earlier than that anyway!

Voss
06-07-2012, 14:18

That isn't a 'scam;' they tell you that up front. It is a pretty terrible way for them to go about things, but the solution is pretty simple: don't preorder from GW.

tiger g
06-07-2012, 14:21
That isn't a 'scam;' they tell you that up front. It is a pretty terrible way for them to go about things, but the solution is pretty simple: don't preorder from GW.

Agreed.

Unfortunately in the US the books did not ship as listed on the website. They were still in Memphis on the night of the 4th