PDA

View Full Version : Well-managed release

Kriegschmidt
04-07-2012, 13:21
Amidst all the usual whining about, "iv seen teh tralers ma nids is borked!11!1![/nerdrage]", I think it's worth drawing attention to the availability of FAQs.

My rulebook arrived, I went to the GW website to see if there were any FAQs for any of my codexes.... and there they were waiting: every single one of them. Now that's a well-managed project and a timely release.

GW haven't necessarily got this quite right every time in the past, but this time: just right :yes:

Definitely deserves holding up in the s***storm of the usual change-fearing rage.

LawrencePhillips
04-07-2012, 13:32
Still nothing from FW though :(

Would be nice if there were some articles covering examples of the more complicated aspects such as cover & wound allocation.

But on the whole, not bad

wilsonian
04-07-2012, 13:35
I have to say while they made a mistake with my order they have more than covered my disappointment. So far so good GW :)

The bearded one
04-07-2012, 13:36
Go to GW general, you'll find some problems down there with it, guaranteed.

tiger g
04-07-2012, 13:57
Based on a call to gw customer service 1000's of books have not left memphis. These are the ones to customers who preordered on day one. They stated they were over whelmed with orders. Even with problem they are closed today for the holiday and tomorrow. Would not call this a well managed release. Ordered on June 22 and do not expect the book until July 9 th

omegoku
04-07-2012, 14:04
Well the FAQs are not exactly awesome jobs either.
There are contradictions between some, example being Tyranid whips vs GK halberds. 2 FAQS, same question, 2 different answers!
Also some things that would have been easy fixes are not done.
Tau units can split fire using the target lock wargear. There is a new USR called split fire. The Tau do not have it. Now they no longer have the wargear either! The FAQ just says the target lock does nothing! wtf!

duffybear1988
04-07-2012, 14:04
I disagree with the OP - the FAQ's are rush jobs with very little thought or planning going into them. It's almost like they couldn't be bothered after they produced such a lovely book.

They really need to put out some more FAQ's ASAP. It's not hard, all they have to do is check on here and see all of the problems being listed everywhere!

Kriegschmidt
04-07-2012, 14:13
Isn't that normal for a release though? They release rules, community spots errors or contradictions and a couple of months later they FAQ.

30,000 pairs of eyes are always going to spot errors better than 3 pairs.

Zinch
04-07-2012, 14:16
There are contradictions between some, example being Tyranid whips vs GK halberds. 2 FAQS, same question, 2 different answers!

There are issues with the FAQs, but not this one. Now the "modifiers to a specific value" go after the "normal" modifiers, so GK are I1 against a whip

Siebab
04-07-2012, 14:22
Well-managed release.. Right. I'm still waiting for my rulebook and ordered it the day they became available. The FAQs? Not that great either.

tiger g
04-07-2012, 14:23
Isn't that normal for a release though? They release rules, community spots errors or contradictions and a couple of months later they FAQ.

30,000 pairs of eyes are always going to spot errors better than 3 pairs.

Okay but you did not address the undelivered preordered books still in the warehouse

Hulkster
04-07-2012, 14:28
IT went well

Except some people dd not get their book or are still waiting for it.

The Faqs were only available after 1000 on the day of release instead of the night before like 8th fantasy. This meant confusion on the day and no one had anything ready.

The Faqs are pretty terrible over all. Better than nothing mind.

I would say this was worse than normal for GW with 8th Fantasy release being the best job they have done so far.

I am not saying it is terrible, just not their best work.

Kriegschmidt
04-07-2012, 14:42
Okay but you did not address the undelivered preordered books still in the warehouse

Sure - I can appreciate that that's a huge disappointment for those affected. It seems so far though that that is a relatively small number of people.

Interested in qualification of how the FAQs are terrible. Of course they're not perfect: see my previous comment about user-review-triggered FAQs a few months after release. Nothing new there. But at least everyone had a document straight away which allowed them to use their existing codex with what is a substantial rules rebuild.

Hulkster
04-07-2012, 14:47
Sure - I can appreciate that that's a huge disappointment for those affected. It seems so far though that that is a relatively small number of people.

Interested in qualification of how the FAQs are terrible. Of course they're not perfect: see my previous comment about user-review-triggered FAQs a few months after release. Nothing new there. But at least everyone had a document straight away which allowed them to use their existing codex with what is a substantial rules rebuild.

But they should have had them available before the release so that poeple could relay their concerns then, or at the very least the day before so that people could print them off for the next day.

They are also bad because they are just that, bad. The 8th Ed ones were much better, and they had to deal with far more substantial changes. This was very poor by GW standards

The bearded one
04-07-2012, 15:00
But they should have had them available before the release so that poeple could relay their concerns then, or at the very least the day before so that people could print them off for the next day.

They are also bad because they are just that, bad. The 8th Ed ones were much better, and they had to deal with far more substantial changes. This was very poor by GW standards

Releasing FAQs the day before the release of a new edition, in order to adress pressing concerns people have about a ruleset they don't actually know yet.

Also, I actually can't even remember the 8th edition FAQs.. they did quite a decent job over the months though, even if they neglected the gyrocopter and ruined the flamecannon! Grargh!

Yodhrin
04-07-2012, 15:11
Go to GW general, you'll find some problems down there with it, guaranteed.

Lets be honest though, if GW offered a steak dinner on solid gold plates free with every purchase, and let you keep the plate, people would be on Warseer complaining that the gold plates made the steak go cold too fast :p

Kriegschmidt
04-07-2012, 15:25
Releasing FAQs the day before the release of a new edition, in order to adress pressing concerns people have about a ruleset they don't actually know yet.

This :yes:

...or at the very least the day before so that people could print them off for the next day.

This poor chap clearly still has a dot matrix printer, which takes hours to print a 4 page document. We should club together to buy him a new one.

And Hulkster, I'm going to press you on this: bad in what way?

Hulkster
04-07-2012, 15:58
Thanks for the sarcasm. It takes me at least 1 hour to get to my nearest GW store and it was opening at 0930. I wanted to get there then to get my book and playtest. The Faqs were not out the day before so I could not print them out ready for the next morning. I thought it was quite reasonable to get them at least the day before so that we could be ready. To be honest we were not even 100% that there would be FAQs, GW never said they were coming out.

Now the Faqs are bad because they leave a lot of questions unanswered from what I understand. Something do not make perfect sense. I haven't had a chance to play with them yet as I haven't had a chance to get a game. So I am talking about what people have said. But with a read though a few of them I have found them to be a little lacking. Especially compared to the 8th ed ones, which is all I am comparing them to.

I prime example though of a problem is the weapons Dante and Astrogarth are armed with. With the Faq it gives the impression that it should be In1 when used. But this isn't clear. I have no problem with balancing issues or anything like that, those only come with time, but this is a piece of equipment on a popular character and it is not clear how is weapons is handled. Also originally the necron faq had no way fr the night scythe to allow its contents to disembark, though this was changed.

Now the reason I said sometime before is that sometimes people get the book early, and other times questions are raised just by the FAQ. I don't think this has happened this time, but it might of. They were ready 2 weeks before. What would be the harm in letting us see them early? But I see your point and it is valid. I stand by it should have been released the day before.

Like I said it is not terrible, it is just poor by GW standards.

Anything else about my opinion that offends to so much you need to leave sarky comments?

MiyamatoMusashi
04-07-2012, 16:08
I've got no problem with the timing of the FAQs. You had to wait a whole 30 minutes after buying the rulebook before the FAQ was available? How about use that time to read the rulebook? That's a #firstworldproblem if ever I heard one.

I do have a problem with the quality of the FAQs... arbitrary, inconsistent and half the time answering questions no-one would ask (while missing questions that are blindingly obvious). The 8th Ed Warhammer ones were the same - though IIRC they were updated fairly quickly.

Hulkster
04-07-2012, 16:12
you miss my point.

I had no way to have a copy of the rules there in the store that day. It is not a serious problem. I never said it was. I am just saying it wasn't ideal and it is a factor that makes it worse than there last big rules update release, Fantasy 8th.

That is all. Again I will reiterate THIS WAS NOT A TERRIBLE RELEASE BY ANY STANDARDS. IT WAS JUST A POOR ONE BY GWs ALREADY HIGH STANDARDS.

Anyone would think I was dragging the company over hot coals just because I don't agree with the TC

Tebrey
04-07-2012, 16:17
Hmm, considering every 40k website has a thread about people not getting thier orders... not just a small number of people. Seems to have impacted almost everyone who ordered the gamers edition.

I ordered mine on the 22nd. It just shipped last night.

No compensation offered. They didn't even bump up the shipping from ground, and I offered to pay for that! "Sorry, you order has been packed and sitting on a pallet in our warehouse since Tues 26th. It is already labeled for shipping and can't be changed. BS.

Fedex estimated delivery July 9th.

tiger g
04-07-2012, 21:36

How is a couple of thousand books in a niche hobby a small number of people?

tiger g
04-07-2012, 21:39
Hmm, considering every 40k website has a thread about people not getting thier orders... not just a small number of people. Seems to have impacted almost everyone who ordered the gamers edition.

No compensation offered. They didn't even bump up the shipping from ground, and I offered to pay for that! "Sorry, you order has been packed and sitting on a pallet in our warehouse since Tues 26th. It is already labeled for shipping and can't be changed. BS.

Same answer I got when offering to pay to get it quicker

BooTMGSG
04-07-2012, 21:53
Been generally good. FAQs up and running well before I had time to digest the new rules.
That being said is anyone else having dificulty acessing the Eldar Faq? I managed it on the day of release, but the past couple of says Its been sending me errors, can download the others, so it might just be GW eldar abuse.

Magicafiend
04-07-2012, 21:54
Talking to my local GW manager there are approximately 6000 people in Canada who have yet to receive their orders(should be in sometime this week). Someone is losing their job over this for sure. GW has already had to give out regular editions to those who preordered the special edition and won't receive it for another week(essentially they have to give out a free book because the warehouse screwed up so many orders).
From what I heard the main cause was the short preorder time(only a week for an entire new edition) and the fact that the warehouse had something stupid like 4 staff in it to handle all North American Orders.

nagash66
04-07-2012, 22:01
I have no complaints on this release.

Lord_Byron
04-07-2012, 22:06

Bugger that. I paid for express shipment to begin with and they just pocketed my money and shipped it ground anyway.

Ronin_eX
04-07-2012, 22:10

Also, I actually can't even remember the 8th edition FAQs.. they did quite a decent job over the months though, even if they neglected the gyrocopter and ruined the flamecannon! Grargh!

I remember the 8th Edition release, everyone bitched about how much it broke their armies, buffed everyone else and how the game was ruined. So what is happening right now is par for the course. And yes, they did ruin my gyros and flamecannons (only a little tongue in cheek :p ). But the complaints happening right now were just as vehement as they were for 8th. In a few months people will forget it and remember it as "not that bad".

Vaktathi
04-07-2012, 22:11
They got FAQ's up quickly, true, which was great, but also essential for playability otherwise the new edition wouldn't really work with lots of armies.

The rest of the release from the "oh, we're only actually announcing a new edition a week before it's available with a 40 second youtube teaser a week before that" to the awful issues surrounding collectors/gamers edition purchases and the like, hrm, not so much a great release.

tiger g
04-07-2012, 22:28
Talking to my local GW manager there are approximately 6000 people in Canada who have yet to receive their orders(should be in sometime this week). Someone is losing their job over this for sure. GW has already had to give out regular editions to those who preordered the special edition and won't receive it for another week(essentially they have to give out a free book because the warehouse screwed up so many orders).
From what I heard the main cause was the short preorder time(only a week for an entire new edition) and the fact that the warehouse had something stupid like 4 staff in it to handle all North American Orders.

Also the Memphis system crashed on Thursday for about 4 hours according to customer service who could not answer a question due to the crash

Inquisitor Samos
04-07-2012, 22:30
Well, for what it's worth, I'm going to chime in on the shipping issue: I pre-ordered mine (Gamer's Edition) on 25 June; the GW website stated pretty clearly that since I was having it shipped to my home rather than to my "local" GW Hobby Center (2-3 hours away), it would ship out on Monday 02 July. That did happen, albeit barely: FedEx shows they had it at 11:43 PM. Tracking shows it will be delivered to me tomorrow, 05 July . . . I call that not too bad, especially seeing as today's a holiday in the U.S.

If one takes what GW-US said on the pre-order page as accurate, I could have had it waiting for me at a GW Hobby Center on Saturday 30 June, but I wasn't inclined to be driving over 100 miles each way to do that, so it's a moot point. I have NO reason to complain about the speed of my order's delivery, as I see it.

tiger g
04-07-2012, 23:05
Well, for what it's worth, I'm going to chime in on the shipping issue: I pre-ordered mine (Gamer's Edition) on 25 June; the GW website stated pretty clearly that since I was having it shipped to my home rather than to my "local" GW Hobby Center (2-3 hours away), it would ship out on Monday 02 July. That did happen, albeit barely: FedEx shows they had it at 11:43 PM. Tracking shows it will be delivered to me tomorrow, 05 July . . . I call that not too bad, especially seeing as today's a holiday in the U.S.

If one takes what GW-US said on the pre-order page as accurate, I could have had it waiting for me at a GW Hobby Center on Saturday 30 June, but I wasn't inclined to be driving over 100 miles each way to do that, so it's a moot point. I have NO reason to complain about the speed of my order's delivery, as I see it.

Actually the website said yours would ship on the 29th of June and therefore you should have had it yesterday to enjoy reading during your holiday.

Kriegschmidt
04-07-2012, 23:30
I have no complaints on this release.

And you are...? :eyebrows:

Ah well, sorry to hear there have been delivery issues for quite a few people. Are these issues limited to N.America? Or to special editions? I'm U.K. and ordered the regular edition and it ran like clockwork :yes:

tiger g
04-07-2012, 23:47

Ah well, sorry to hear there have been delivery issues for quite a few people. Are these issues limited to N.America? Or to special editions? I'm U.K. and ordered the regular edition and it ran like clockwork :yes:

NOrth America all editions

Doi
05-07-2012, 01:36
I'm in Australia and ordered the normal and collector's editions and while there has been some problems GW has more than made up for it.

For some reason or another my copy of the Collector's Edition wasn't shipped to Australia in time for shipping (I don't know if it was just mine, all of the Australian allotment or if they sold more down here than allotted) and is going to be shipped direct from the UK office instead. The rest of my order's shipping was delayed while the details were finalised (shipped on Tuesday instead of Friday).

To apologise for the delay GW has refunded the $220 I paid for the Collector's Edition and is sending it to me for free :yes:. I call that good customer service in my book.

Doi

Grocklock
05-07-2012, 02:14
I'm in Australia and ordered the normal and collector's editions and while there has been some problems GW has more than made up for it.

For some reason or another my copy of the Collector's Edition wasn't shipped to Australia in time for shipping (I don't know if it was just mine, all of the Australian allotment or if they sold more down here than allotted) and is going to be shipped direct from the UK office instead. The rest of my order's shipping was delayed while the details were finalised (shipped on Tuesday instead of Friday).

To apologise for the delay GW has refunded the $220 I paid for the Collector's Edition and is sending it to me for free :yes:. I call that good customer service in my book.

Doi

got too say stories like this are excelent customer service skills from GW. But it deffinlty does seam that the american branch dropped the ball. with this realase. as every other contry has seamed to have either got there copy or recived compensation.

For me personally the only reasson didn't get it on release was because my pastman or women failed to ring the door at 7am too give me my order.

Hulkster
05-07-2012, 09:08

firstly it doesn't matter who they are, they commented on your thread and stated that they had no problems, to try and counter a lot of negativity. Why did you feel the need to make that comment?

secondly the main of issues are attached to north america, though there have been cases in other parts of the world including the uk. wilsonian didn't get the gamers edition he ordered within minutes of it going up on the site. I will point out that that he was very well compensated and he is overall happy with how it turned out.

xxRavenxx
05-07-2012, 09:24
Based on a call to gw customer service 1000's of books have not left memphis. These are the ones to customers who preordered on day one. They stated they were over whelmed with orders. Even with problem they are closed today for the holiday and tomorrow. Would not call this a well managed release. Ordered on June 22 and do not expect the book until July 9 th

You haven't at all considered that the fact that your country shuts down for several days may have caused this problem in the first place?...

You know what GWs policy is on shipping. (On the day of release.) You know its a national holiday coming up. You should have expected it to go tits up to be honest. I know when the UK celebrate our long holidays the shipping systems break down too. I just plan around it.

And, food for thought: "Even with the problems, they are closed". Yes. That's right. National holiday, with their staff given time off. They have no way to be open. What did you actually expect them to do?

Kriegschmidt
05-07-2012, 09:39
firstly it doesn't matter who they are, they commented on your thread and stated that they had no problems, to try and counter a lot of negativity. Why did you feel the need to make that comment?

Sorry, it's a Guilder thing: we say it to each other all the time. Apologies, I should have thought that it might come across weirdly to non-Guilders.

Seems on the whole that the release has been a good one.

Steinhardt
05-07-2012, 09:44
Amidst all the usual whining about, "iv seen teh tralers ma nids is borked!11!1![/nerdrage]", I think it's worth drawing attention to the availability of FAQs.

My rulebook arrived, I went to the GW website to see if there were any FAQs for any of my codexes.... and there they were waiting: every single one of them. Now that's a well-managed project and a timely release.

GW haven't necessarily got this quite right every time in the past, but this time: just right :yes:

You clearly live somewhere other than Australia/New Zealand where people, on top of paying +100% of what the rest of the world did, had to wait 8-10 hours before FAQs were available. Furthermore, those FAQs and totally sub-par and answer approximately half the questions that are necessary to play the game. They also failed to release a much needed BRB FAQ.

Hulkster
05-07-2012, 09:56
Sorry, it's a Guilder thing: we say it to each other all the time. Apologies, I should have thought that it might come across weirdly to non-Guilders.

Seems on the whole that the release has been a good one.

It has been sometime since I was a guilder so I apologise.

As for the release. I am glad you think it well. Many people do not think so. I have already voiced my opinion however

You clearly live somewhere other than Australia/New Zealand where people, on top of paying +100% of what the rest of the world did, had to wait 8-10 hours before FAQs were available. Furthermore, those FAQs and totally sub-par and answer approximately half the questions that are necessary to play the game. They also failed to release a much needed BRB FAQ.

This poor man shares the concerns of a country that seems to have had problems.

Kriegschmidt
05-07-2012, 10:03
A whole 8-10 hours? Gosh, that's tough.

And "failed" to release a BRB FAQ? FAQs for new releases are always released months after the book they refer to, i.e. after the book has had chance to go through the hands and eyes of thousands and thousands of players. How is it a "failure" that they didn't do it differently this time?

And how could they FAQ a book at the same time as publishing it, given that publishing it requires that they think it's correct and usable, until mass-user feedback reveals otherwise? "Here's a book that we think is right" at the same time as "We know it's not quite right and here's a document clarifying it" ?

Hulkster
05-07-2012, 10:17
A whole 8-10 hours? Gosh, that's tough.

And "failed" to release a BRB FAQ? FAQs for new releases are always released months after the book they refer to, i.e. after the book has had chance to go through the hands and eyes of thousands and thousands of players. How is it a "failure" that they didn't do it differently this time?

And how could they FAQ a book at the same time as publishing it, given that publishing it requires that they think it's correct and usable, until mass-user feedback reveals otherwise? "Here's a book that we think is right" at the same time as "We know it's not quite right and here's a document clarifying it" ?

Ok I think you are missing the point. I am assuming this because otherwise you come across as a massive GW fanboy.

People are not happy with the release, this means this release has not gone as well as other releases for a lot of people. Ergo the other releases went better. Meaning this was not one of GW best releases. The problems with NA alone prove that.

I understand it went well for you, it went ok for me as well and were it not for this thread I would not of aired my minor grievances at all.

You seem to gloss other other peoples concerns because they do not agree with you. One of your big points was that the FAQs were ready for you as soon as you got the book. This was not the case for a lot of people. Thus it is a problem, thus it did not go well for them.

Please accept that it did not go as smoothly for other people as it did for yourself, please acknowledge these people gripes and concerns. If you do not you run the risk of sounding like a blind fanboy.

Steinhardt
05-07-2012, 10:35
How is it a "failure" that they didn't do it differently this time?

So because they've botched almost every release it isn't a failure if they botch this one as well? Your logic is pretty f-ed.

AdamR
05-07-2012, 10:42
@Steinhardt
How can you release a rulebook FAQ on the same day said book is released - no-ones read it yet for any questions to arise - let alone frequently asked ones?

Kriegschmidt
05-07-2012, 12:33
@Steinhardt
How can you release a rulebook FAQ on the same day said book is released - no-ones read it yet for any questions to arise - let alone frequently asked ones?

This.

Usable FAQ for every single codex within hours of rulebook release; many more satisfied customers than unhappy ones.... I stand by my comment that this makes it a good GW release on the whole.

Hulkster: see posts 13 & 33 for not glossing over other people's concerns. I'm simply not agreeing with you.

tiger g
05-07-2012, 12:52
This.

Usable FAQ for every single codex within hours of rulebook release; many more satisfied customers than unhappy ones.... I stand by my comment that this makes it a good GW release on the whole.

Hulkster: see posts 13 & 33 for not glossing over other people's concerns. I'm simply not agreeing with you.

You are still missing the point. The FAQ is to bring all codexes to a playable status with the current version. They were working on these just to play test as there are no current version codexes. Now complaining he had to wait 8 hours is a bit silly as they were released with the official time as hq.

Hulkster
05-07-2012, 12:57
This.

I don't think that saying it was a small amount of people or asking if it was north america only is really looking at them. If the ENTIRE of north america had a problem that is a very big issue. If some people in the UK had an issue then it means it did not go as well as some other releases and thus was not well managed.

It is sad that you see the north america issue as a small problem. But I obviously cannot change your mind. Do you really think this has gone well, compared to other major releases?

Kaelarr
05-07-2012, 13:28
@Steinhardt

The rulebook has been around for a while now. (Although not general release) It was play-tested thoroughly in its final form to come up with the Codex FAQ's. There is no reason we shouldn't have a rule book FAQ, there have been plenty of questions raised and asked to the dev team before the release date. The other issue is that they appear to have rushed the codex FAQ's, as they are not balanced with each other at all. E.G. Chief librarian for different chapters - Mephiston mastery 3, Njal mastery level 2, Tigurius Mastery Level 3, Ezekial mastery level 1.... Urm, right?

Frankly it was a poor release as not even the store staff knew the release date until 10 days beforehand, the books were released in a seemingly random order, some people got their books a week before general release (a few before that even), their pre-order system didn't work so they sold more collectors and gamer's editions than they had - and to decide who got them it was a lottery, not who ordered first. Hell, the rulebook was available on Amazon on Tuesday for next day delivery a full 4 days sooner than GW stocked it.

AngelofSorrow
05-07-2012, 13:44
The release over all was good. Got my stuff on time. However my gamers edition bag fell apart in a day. Trying to get cust serve to do something about it.

Ready for eternal war!

AdamR
05-07-2012, 13:48
The rulebook has been around for a while now. (Although not general release) It was play-tested thoroughly in its final form to come up with the Codex FAQ's. There is no reason we shouldn't have a rule book FAQ, there have been plenty of questions raised and asked to the dev team before the release date. The other issue is that they appear to have rushed the codex FAQ's, as they are not balanced with each other at all. E.G. Chief librarian for different chapters - Mephiston mastery 3, Njal mastery level 2, Tigurius Mastery Level 3, Ezekial mastery level 1.... Urm, right?

As many other posters have pointed out, these are codex issues - the FAQ's purpose was to make the current codexes 6th ed compatible, not to rewrite them all to rebalance their power levels (regardless of whether that would have been a good idea!)

Hulkster
05-07-2012, 14:20
As many other posters have pointed out, these are codex issues - the FAQ's purpose was to make the current codexes 6th ed compatible, not to rewrite them all to rebalance their power levels (regardless of whether that would have been a good idea!)

I agree. Balance will not come, if at all, for a few months, just like fantasy.

Kaelarr
05-07-2012, 16:03
I want after balance, I was after FAQ's which were relevant! For example, Jaws of the world wolf affects flying MC's when swooping - as they are not in the list of units it doesnt affect in the codex - should have been FAQ'd.