PDA

View Full Version : Muli-wound unit question...

Durpp
04-07-2012, 18:16
Hello,

So I was playing a game with my Empire friend the other day and he shot a unit of my Chaos Trolls (3W apiece) with a cannon ball. He ended up hitting 3 trolls and I (naturally) failed all 3 regeneration saves. He then continued to roll to see how many wounds were inflicted, he rolled as follows; 4, 5 and 6.

Now is where the question arises, do I remove just the 3 models hit? or do I remove 5 models? The BRB states that you total up all of the wounds, but the other wording around it seemed confusing. Just thought I would see if you guys knew the truth.

Thanks!

Rudra34
04-07-2012, 18:26
Two things come into play here.

First, cannons shots on multi-wound units are resolved one hit at a time. You would roll to wound the first troll, roll it's save, and then roll multiwounds. If the troll is not killed, then the cannonball stops and does not hit any of the trolls behind it.

Second, a model can never take more wounds then are on it's profile. This means that most wounds a cannonball can cause on a troll is 3, and the additional wounds are lost overkill.

Durpp
04-07-2012, 18:45
Okay sweet! Thank you very much Rudra34!

Durpp
04-07-2012, 18:47
Really quickly though, this brings up another question, Hellfire Sword causes D3+1 wound, say I were attacking ogres and wounded with all 5 attacks, could I possibly kill more than 5 models if I rolled perfectly? (total of 20 wounds)

theunwantedbeing
04-07-2012, 18:51
No, you can only kill as many models as you hit. Excess wounds dealt to those models are wasted.

So if you hit a unit of infantry with a cannonball hitting 4 guys and rolling 6,6,6,6 for wounds.
You kill 4 guys, not 24.

AMWOOD co
05-07-2012, 01:52
Second, a model can never take more wounds then are on it's profile. This means that most wounds a cannonball can cause on a troll is 3, and the additional wounds are lost overkill.

The details for these rules can be seen on the right hand side of p45 in the main rulebook, especially Multiwound weapons and models.

Artiee
05-07-2012, 12:23
Hello,

So I was playing a game with my Empire friend the other day and he shot a unit of my Chaos Trolls (3W apiece) with a cannon ball. He ended up hitting 3 trolls

Also to note that a cannon can not hit more then 1 model per rank. (When shooting in the flank, files are counted as ranks.) (pg 113 Whos been hit)

T10
05-07-2012, 18:40
cannons shots on multi-wound units are resolved one hit at a time.
Actually, it's based on the troop type of the model hit.