PDA

View Full Version : Monstrous Creatures & Vehicles

Darkwanderer
05-07-2012, 12:39
With the change to monstrous creatures no longer rolling 2d6 in pen rolls when assaulting vehicles, and instead doing smash - half of attacks(round up), at str 10 (normally), with rerolling the pen roll - affects their ability against vehicles?

AngelofSorrow
05-07-2012, 12:45
Don't forget they are also AP 2 so get +1 on the VDC.
As well as hitting vehicles easier it all balances out in the end.

Ready for eternal war!

Eldoriath
05-07-2012, 12:46
Seeing that they still hit rear armor they basically auto-pen most things and only the monolith/land raider isn't that. But even against those foes you have a 5/9 chance to pen them, so it's not all that bad I guess. Remember, S10 with re-roll on pen dice is much better then S7 and adding 2d6 due to statistics.

Cthell
05-07-2012, 15:23
However, my wraithlord is now sad that it doesn't auto-glance dreads just by hitting them (a problem I suspect that 'Fexes also have); being a monstrous creature specifically designed to smash vehicles, it's lost quite a lot of smashing power (I'll miss the look on my opponents face when I roll a 22 for the Armour penetration...)

Vepr
05-07-2012, 18:11
Classic 4 talon fex is still pretty nasty vs walkers at strength 9 with 4 rerollable attacks at ap2 you are still likely to wreck a walker. Unfortunately unless you expect to face more than 2 walkers you are still better off taking a trygon and just using smash attack.

Caitsidhe
05-07-2012, 21:56
Seeing how most vehicles can be glanced to death by Bolter fire... I'm not sure the fact that MC can kill them really, really dead matters. :)

xxRavenxx
05-07-2012, 22:05
Seeing how most vehicles can be glanced to death by Bolter fire... I'm not sure the fact that MC can kill them really, really dead matters. :)

NO THEY CAN'T! AAAAAAAARGH!

Seriously. I don't know how many more times I can read these rediculous statements without my head exploding...

Caitsidhe
05-07-2012, 22:08
Yes, they can. I have already played a dozen games and seen it happen many, many times.

Lord Damocles
05-07-2012, 22:09
Seeing how most vehicles can be glanced to death by Bolter Gauss fire... I'm not sure the fact that MC can kill them really, really dead matters. :)

Mwahahaha!

Caitsidhe
05-07-2012, 22:12
A unit of ten Marines doing a nice double tap via Rapid Fire, will put down twenty shots. They will hit 12-13 times on average and when shooting against the rear of a vehicle will average at least two 6's. The odds of getting that third six for the final Glance aren't bad at all and I assure you it happens all the time.

Jericho
05-07-2012, 22:15
Played a few games and been rules monkey looking up stuff while others play about a half dozen more. I've seen vehicles killed by Riflemen Dreads, Dark Lances/Blasters, Tesla, and a thrown EMP grenade. Oh, and Overlord Barges stabbing airplanes.

Glancing to death isn't that bad, really. Kinda annoying when it happens, but not a big deal. And as has been stated above, MC's still won't have many problems against any standard vehicles. Land Raiders will likely require Smash attacks and a bit more luck than before.

Caitsidhe
05-07-2012, 22:19
Played a few games and been rules monkey looking up stuff while others play about a half dozen more. I've seen vehicles killed by Riflemen Dreads, Dark Lances/Blasters, Tesla, and a thrown EMP grenade. Oh, and Overlord Barges stabbing airplanes.

Glancing to death isn't that bad, really. Kinda annoying when it happens, but not a big deal. And as has been stated above, MC's still won't have many problems against any standard vehicles. Land Raiders will likely require Smash attacks and a bit more luck than before.

I doubt anyone sane will even be fielding the LR soon so that won't be an issue. :)

Grimtuff
05-07-2012, 22:28

Seriously. I don't know how many more times I can read these rediculous statements without my head exploding...

But they can. :eyebrows:
I can only think of a handful of vehicles that don't have armour 10 on certain facings. So the statement being "ridiculous" is patently false. MOST Vehicles in 40k can be glanced by a Bolter. If you're silly enough to expose your rear armour to have this done to you then that's a whole 'nother discussion.

Vaktathi
05-07-2012, 22:31

Well, technically they can, just only from the rear or sides. It's not an untrue statement, though very situational yes.

That said, MC's shouldn't have any problems with vehicles in 5E.

Caitsidhe
05-07-2012, 22:48
But they can. :eyebrows:
I can only think of a handful of vehicles that don't have armour 10 on certain facings. So the statement being "ridiculous" is patently false. MOST Vehicles in 40k can be glanced by a Bolter. If you're silly enough to expose your rear armour to have this done to you then that's a whole 'nother discussion.

It is harder to avoid than you think. It depends on how many Drop Pods, Jump Troops, Outflank, and Deepstrike units are in play. If there is nothing better to shoot at, why not just hop into position and kill a Dread (or whatever). We all take precautions to try to protect that rear entry, but now that Hull Points make it a worthwhile exercise more people move to get the shot.

lantzkev
06-07-2012, 00:37
that is part of the tactical side of this game, keeping your rear protected... Also anyone complaining about getting glanced to death obviously never had it happen in 5th... :rolleyes: We had what weapon weapon immobile, now destroyed... although it was true that you could forever get shaken/stunned...

Starchild
06-07-2012, 04:40
Taking out vehicles via rear armour is a favoured tactic of Eldar players. Warp Spiders are notoriously good at it!

I like the Stomp rule because it feels right, the monstrous creature in question channeling all its strength into a single devastating attack. I can't comment on how effective it is in the game but I hope to see it used in action soon.

Hendarion
06-07-2012, 05:46

Drop-Pod Marines want to disagree with you. Deepstrike in the rear of the vehicle and that's it.

Konovalev
07-07-2012, 00:38
Drop-Pod Marines want to disagree with you. Deepstrike in the rear of the vehicle and that's it.

We already have that with podding melta/termicide. Vehicles being weak in the rear is anything but new to 6th...