PDA

View Full Version : Codex Allies

Enigma6
05-07-2012, 13:44
Hey all!

During the 6th Edition Rumour discussion thread some genuine genius brought up the possibility that GW could actual release official rules and models for allied detachments of some of the lesser represented races/factions which could never get their own codex for various reasons. They would simply be options to use as allies for appropriate(!!!) races which do have a full codex.

These could be released slowly through white dwarf (making for some good issues) and then collected into a single book called ĎCodex Alliesí. This is by no means an actual rumour of something which may be happening, it is just something that somebody realized has the potential to happen.

Personally, I would love to see this kind of expansion and it would really add some flavor to the alliance system. Below I have listed some of the races I would like to see and some rough ideas what might be in their lists.

Would anyone else like to see this kind of thing? Is there someone that Iím missing that really deserves the ally treatment?

Deathwatch
Special Rules: Preferred enemy (Xenos)
Special Equipment: Special Ammo on all bolt guns, including Heavy Bolter versions
HQ: Captain & Libby (Deathwatch discipline?)
Troops: Killteam (much like sternguard without the 2 attacks)
Transport: Rhino/Razor, maybe a flyer of some kind
Elites: Terminators (Split weapons like DW? Special Ammo!!!)
Fast: Bikes (Special Ammo!!!)
Heavy: Dreadnaught (Special Ammo!!!)

Genestealer Cult
Special Rules: Brood telepathy of some kind
Special Equipment: Rending claws everywhere!
HQ: Some kind of broodlord
Troops: cultists, as guard with brood telepathy and claws
Transport: Chimera
Elites: Full blown genestealers, maybe half-ogryns too
Fast: Sentinels?
Heavy: IG tanks

Harlequins
Special Rules: As Codex Eldar
Special Equipment: As Codex Eldar
HQ: Solitaire, Troop Master
Troops: Harlequin Squad
Transport: Venom (with shuriken weapons)
Elites: Super Squad!
Fast: Harley Bikes? Harley Viper equivalent (not useless)
Heavy: Harlie Wraithlord (by popular request)

Exodites
Special Rules: As Codex Eldar
Special Equipment: Lizards!
HQ: Some kind of hard Eldar guy, possibly mounted on a Carnosaur-like model
Troops: Exodite squad
Transport: Venom (with shuriken weapons)
Elites: not sure
Fast: Exodites mounted on Cold Ones with power Lances
Heavy: Carnosaur-like thing

Adeptus Arbitus
Special Rules: Special orders system
Special Equipment: Riot Shield, gives Shrouded rule representing hiding behind shield, +1 sv in CC.
Teargas ammo for grenade launchers (Blind rule)
HQ: Like a IG command squad with different advisors
Troops: Enforcer squad, like storm troopers with shotguns. Can take riot shields
Transport: Rhinos
Elites: Linebreaker squad, vets with riot shields and power mauls
Fast: Sentinels
Heavy: Leman Russ Conqueror

Squats/Demiurg (I know they're not the same thing
Special Rules: no idea
Special Equipment: no idea
HQ: big hard squat!!!
Troops: generic squat squad
Transport: no idea
Elites: no idea
Fast: no idea
Heavy: squat artillery

Hrud
Special Rules: no idea
Special Equipment: no idea
HQ: big hard Hrud!!!
Troops: generic hrud squad
Transport: no idea
Elites: no idea
Fast: no idea
Heavy: no idea

Adeptus Mechanicus
Special Rules: Mind-Link rules? Like orders?
Special Equipment: lots of bionics and funky guns!
HQ: Adept
Troops: Skittari + Mechanicus Militia
Transport: Chimera or Rhino?
Elites: Techpriest, Veteran Skittari
Fast: some funky walker or skimmer thing
Heavy: artillery, big tanks, cybernetica walker, KNIGHTS!!!

Kroot Mercenaries
Special Rules: As per Codex Tau
Special Equipment: Borrowed equipment from many races
HQ: big hard Kroot!!!
Troops: generic Kroot squad
Transport: Devilfish and/or their own open topped skimmer
Elites: Veteran Kroot, Sniper Kroot
Fast: Kroot with wings, Packs of Hounds
Heavy: Krootoxe Packs, Knarlok

ForgottenLore
05-07-2012, 14:10
During the 6e rumor discussion thread?

Ive been saying that for 6 bloody years.

I mean.....

Why yes, that is an interesting notion that may be worth more discussion :)

Fenrisian Ale
05-07-2012, 14:35
What do you mean, Squats Fast: no idea?

Squat bikers, man!!!! :D

P.S. Great idea, whomever had it :)

Cthell
05-07-2012, 14:42
Harlequin heavy support would look to be the perfect place for the old Harlequin Wraithlord. After all, who wouldn't want a WS5 wraithlord with a 5++?

TimLeeson
05-07-2012, 15:00
If it means introducing more weird and cool aliens into the game, I'm all for it.

Buddha777
05-07-2012, 15:13
I also think it could be a great way to actually use the White Dwarf rule system. Such a system is far too limited for a full codex release (cough* SoB cough*) but for a limited allied list I think it could serve as the perfect tie in vehicle.

I personally want to see Adeptus Mechanicus allies as well as some sort of rouge trader allies to fill in a true dogs of war style army.

myrdinn
05-07-2012, 15:20
I would buy a pure Harlequin allied detachment the second it went on pre-release. Ditto Genestealer cult. Return of the squats would be fantastic but I don't really see it happening, they seem to have been pretty resolutely wiped out of the 40k universe.

loveless
05-07-2012, 15:30
I'd be on board for all of these except for Exodites (my background knowledge of them isn't super, but don't they pretty much stay on their own planets?) and Squats (honestly, skip them and stick to the Demiurg - those are at least aliens and not abhumans).

Harlequins need Mimes somewhere. I'd throw Death Jester Squads in for Heavy Support with some options in addition to Shrieker Cannons.

Umbra need to fit in there, too - aren't they a bit more aligned with the Hrud, now?

Meatballer
05-07-2012, 16:11
Great Idea.

This would be a swell way to make White Dwarf worth something again, and a very nice way to let tyranids have allies after all. Only trouble I foresee is GW's inability to produce new models to match the rate needed for updates and brand new allies, etc. They are not likely to approve a plan that does not have a dollar-to-points income plan.

Eumerin
05-07-2012, 18:08
I'd be on board for all of these except for Exodites (my background knowledge of them isn't super, but don't they pretty much stay on their own planets?)

The old Epic rules had them providing certain types of support to Eldar formations. In particular, the Eldar Knights (which included a gorgeous centauroid unit) were crafted and piloted by Exodites who sometimes provided support to the Craftworld armies.

Besides, who wouldn't want to add space elves with lasers riding dragons to their 40K army?

:P

Enigma6
05-07-2012, 18:33
Edited the list to include some suggestions.
I don't think GW would be able to produce miniatures for all this stuff, but could certainly point to conversion opportunities where they exist.
To be fair though, several of the models already exist in some capacity for the things mentioned above, though some of the models would be quite old.

loveless
05-07-2012, 18:35
The old Epic rules had them providing certain types of support to Eldar formations. In particular, the Eldar Knights (which included a gorgeous centauroid unit) were crafted and piloted by Exodites who sometimes provided support to the Craftworld armies.

Besides, who wouldn't want to add space elves with lasers riding dragons to their 40K army?

:P

Well, there you go then :p We need more (some?) centauroid mechs in this game.

Charistoph
05-07-2012, 19:46
This would also be a good spot to put some Special Characters in like Cypher whose objectives and alignments are unknown and provide some new Allies or change the level of an alliance.