PDA

View Full Version : Tyranids vs Flyers?

PersonalGlitch
05-07-2012, 16:38
What are Tyranids going to do against flyers? We don't have anything with skyfire and we cannot use fortifications (or am I wrong about this).

I was just going to absolutely ignore all fliers and just kill everything else.

Silentbob10
05-07-2012, 16:46
You can use fortifications just as anyone else can its just a lot of people don't want to take them for fluff reasons. And i agree with the ignore plan unless someone has went to the extreme and went for 9 vendettas at which point id just commend their wallet. At the end of the day they cant take objectives being vehicles and the men have to get out to take them so just wait and swarm any human shaped object that gets out.

Kurisu313
05-07-2012, 16:54
I'm vaguely considering a Tyranid aegis defense line, which would consist of a bunch of spiny ridges for walls, something like the Zerg Spore Crawler as a quadgun. Honestly, Xenos versions of terrain is always an interesting consideration.

Vector strike them with a Harpy.
If AV10, use a hail of fire from Devilgaunts to strip their hull points.
Use that machine curse psychic power (whose name escapes me)
If it ever enters hover mode, pounce!
Or, as you say, ignore it and go for the rest of their army.

PersonalGlitch
05-07-2012, 17:14
Ok, my friend had said 'nids couldn't and it was in the FAQ. Rereading the FAQ I don't see anything about not being able to take fortifications. Converting a defense line would be interesting.

I guess I am mostly concerned about lists which abuse tons of fliers. 9 vendettas and such. They just sit back and kill all my MCs and synapse until turn 5. It just is annoying that we don't really have an answer for it.

Oh well, we will see what happens as the metagame changes.

jifel
05-07-2012, 17:26
I believe that Tyranids can't operate any guns on a fortification, but they may buy them. So just get the Aegus line, not a lascannon attached.

Melon-neko
05-07-2012, 17:49
Ok, my friend had said 'nids couldn't and it was in the FAQ. Rereading the FAQ I don't see anything about not being able to take fortifications. Converting a defense line would be interesting.

I guess I am mostly concerned about lists which abuse tons of fliers. 9 vendettas and such. They just sit back and kill all my MCs and synapse until turn 5. It just is annoying that we don't really have an answer for it.

Oh well, we will see what happens as the metagame changes.

Tyranids cannot "Manually Fire' the automated weapons on fortifications.

Also, Flyers can't really just sit back and shoot, they must move at least 18" forward with one 90 degree turn only at the beginning of their move. So getting into the middle of the table lessens their threat a bit, and try and spread out enough so that if they go into hovermode you can charge them.

I think harpies with venom cannons might be the best defense against flyers for nids

Vepr
05-07-2012, 17:54
I believe our flying MCs can vector strike them but something like the storm raven is going to be hard to bring down for an MC unless you can combine smash with vector strike which the rules do not seem to say anything about so we will have to wait for the FAQ which we know will rule against us as always. :p

Vampiric16
05-07-2012, 17:58
Harpies are perfect for this. They can chase down and munch on fliers as well as shoot them. Additionally they can drop spore mines and do that fly-by swipe on ground troops.

Balerion
05-07-2012, 18:18
I think harpies with venom cannons might be the best defense against flyers for nids
Their best defense is a unit that can never shoot Flyers? :p

A Venom Cannon can't hit a Flyer because it is a blast weapon. So a Harpy would be restricted to doing S5 Vector Strikes (which is completely hopeless against one group of Flyers, and merely ineffective against the rest).

Harpies are perfect for this. They can chase down and munch on fliers as well as shoot them.
No, they can't do either of these things.

Vampiric16
05-07-2012, 18:59
Apparently I've been mis-informed ref the munching and shooting. Which is actually very disappointing, for a minute there I thought the Harpy had actually become useful.

Vepr
05-07-2012, 19:18
Maybe they will FAQ the Harpy to be able to drop Pyrovores like bombs... :p On a serious note if Harpys could take devourers they might be interesting but then I always forget how much they cost when trying to think of uses for them. They should be 120 at most loaded out for what they can accomplish.

Ventus
05-07-2012, 19:36
Please no more devourers! Devourers on gaunts and warriors is fine. I'm just tired of them on fexes (when ever they are seen or hive tyrants -not how I envisioned these creatures but it has been the best shooting biomorph for a long, long time - too long IMO). GW, please adjust our other weapons so they are more useful.

Vepr
05-07-2012, 19:56
Please no more devourers! Devourers on gaunts and warriors is fine. I'm just tired of them on fexes (when ever they are seen or hive tyrants -not how I envisioned these creatures but it has been the best shooting biomorph for a long, long time - too long IMO). GW, please adjust our other weapons so they are more useful.

I don't disagree but until we get a new codex (where they will likely make them terrible) devourers are our volume of fire weapons and that is what we need this edition.

unknown_lifeform
05-07-2012, 21:47
A flying hive tyrant is your best option (I said best, not good) and is OK at vector striking flyers with side armour 10, especially ones like the new space marine storm talon with only 2 hull points. Massed devilgaunt fire can also strip off a few hull points from AV10 flyers.

If it has side armour 12 you basically can't touch it, so ignore it unless it enters hover mode, then go for the kill.

If they've spammed flyers conceed and play someone else, you can't do jack.

As it stands nids have little they can do to touch flyers and vendettas ruin them. Hopefully they'll get something in the forthcomming forgeworld aeronautica book, although I wouldn't hold your breath. I believe anphelion project had aerial spore mines in it which might get an update.