PDA

View Full Version : Gorkamorka and 40k scale comparison.

strifeesp
05-07-2012, 22:59
Are there any kind souls out there with Ork collections that could post a couple of side by side shots of various Gorkamorka and current range Orks?

I like the look for my new army, but I never collected Gorkamorka at the time, and they look a little smaller. Its hard to tell.

Cheers guys!

farnham
05-07-2012, 23:06
The boys are about the same height, but they have much less mass body wise, they also are not as hunched. Same with the Nobs, about the same size but less mass.

Harwammer
05-07-2012, 23:10
The Gorka Morka nobs are big enough to be used as squad leaders for 40k orks, but the regular orks are very skinny compared to the current 40k range.

strifeesp
05-07-2012, 23:20
Thanks guys, sounds good! I'm not a fan of the current bulky, hunched over Boyz, so they sound like a perfect alternative. As long as they are roughly the same height.

Going for a lean, ferocious Blood Axe vibe.

Harwammer
05-07-2012, 23:23
Yea, they'd be pretty good as Blood Axes.

Are you going to convert Rhinos to be open topped for trukks?

strifeesp
05-07-2012, 23:29
I hadn't thought about that, its a nice idea. I'm browsing for suitable trukks at the moment.

Grimbad
06-07-2012, 00:47
Thanks guys, sounds good! I'm not a fan of the current bulky, hunched over Boyz, so they sound like a perfect alternative. As long as they are roughly the same height.

Going for a lean, ferocious Blood Axe vibe.

The plastics don't have as much definition as the current ones, which affects the muscles as far as that lean ferocious thing goes, but that could probably be fixed with some clever painting. The poses are a bit stiff, too, I think that was something to do with them having to be able to fit into the old truck beds. The Nobz are wonderful sculpts though, I think they may still be the best orks ever made.

Clang
06-07-2012, 01:05
The bad news is that the GorkaMorka plastics are rather undetailed compared to modern stuff. The good news is that yes, thare are no scale issues, and you may be able to find some cheap stuff on eBay etc.

Abaraxas
06-07-2012, 06:13
Even better IMO just go for the RT/2nd era Orks, cheaper,more of them around and a greater variety of miniatures too.

The Clairvoyant
06-07-2012, 08:29
I like the gorkamorka metals. They have the vibe of the RT models but more heroic scale in their shootas (i.e they're huge :D)
I have a mob which is a mix of the gorkamorka metals, the RT torso models (that require plastic arms) and the original Space Ork Raiders.
The gorkamorka plastic boyz are ok, but they are smaller in build than the current orks and look out of place with just about any other ork model due to the tiny heads.

totgeboren
06-07-2012, 09:48
If you want some leaner military looking orks, you should check out Mantic Games Marauders too.

the1stpip
06-07-2012, 09:56
Or check out the savage orcs for leanness, maybe a problem making them look like Blood Axes though.

Harwammer
06-07-2012, 10:04
I like the gorkamorka metals. They have the vibe of the RT models but more heroic scale in their shootas (i.e they're huge :D)
I have a mob which is a mix of the gorkamorka metals, the RT torso models (that require plastic arms) and the original Space Ork Raiders.
The gorkamorka plastic boyz are ok, but they are smaller in build than the current orks and look out of place with just about any other ork model due to the tiny heads.

Slightly OT: The gorka morka plastics don't look too bad mixed in with more modern orks if you replace their arms/head with more modern plastics. Gives them a bit of an ape look though.

Senbei
06-07-2012, 10:11
Have a look on "stuffoflegends" at the old RT Ork releases (the one piece metal ones). A few of those Orks were wearing commisar style flat-caps, bomber jackets, forage caps etc.

I also vote them the "most fun to paint" Orks EVER, simply due to the amount of random cr*p they seem to carry about with them. Bits of broken bottle, dented saucepans, other peoples arms. Great fun, if you have the time to pick out all the details.

Abaraxas
06-07-2012, 10:30
Senbei speaks the truth.

strifeesp
06-07-2012, 16:54
Looks like I need to track down a lot of these models -

IJW
06-07-2012, 17:07
Try here:
http://store.wargamingtrader.com/list?cat=6

and here:
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/The-Warhammer-Trader/Orks-/_i.html?_fsub=462234013&_sid=21655053&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

:)

strifeesp
06-07-2012, 17:17
Thanks dude, i'll keep my eyes peeled.

Senbei
06-07-2012, 22:06
Looks like I need to track down a lot of these models -

Those are 2nd Ed Orks. When buying the Stormboyz remember that the current Ork arms don't fit them too well. You'll probably need some of the old Ork arms (if they don't come with them). They tend not to be terribly expensive. Think I paid about a tenner for a squad of 5 with Drillboss about 6 months ago.

Edit:

I really love the standard bearer here. There are three head variants of the one guy, and all of them have the same junk on the sculpt, but there's SO-MUCH rubbish hanging from the back of his standard and belt.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OOP-Citadel-Warhammer-40k-Rogue-Trader-RT202-Space-Ork-Command-Group-/221062125358?pt=UK_Toys_Wargames_RL&hash=item337854572e

Harwammer
06-07-2012, 23:36
Would space marine scout arms maybe fit those 2nd ed storm boyz?

Abaraxas
07-07-2012, 05:25
Not really, no.

I spent a few years tracking down about 80+% of the entire Rt/2nd line via ebay, and the proper arms arent too hard to find.
Buying mobs of the RT plastics to cannibalise the arms and weapons helps too (incidentally the plastic boy with the cap head makes a fine Blood Axe too)

Senbei
07-07-2012, 21:51
I spent a few years tracking down about 80+% of the entire Rt/2nd line via ebay,

Is this were we start bragging? I managed to win an Ork Megabot on E-bay earlier this week. Cost me about 40 (:<) but at least it didn't cost me the 120 that they were going for last month (Though there are two for 50 BiN now, which kills the joy a little).

Would space marine scout arms maybe fit those 2nd ed storm boyz?

You never know until you've seen the two together... but from a collectors viewpoint that could be somewhat heretical. Gorkamorka Ork arms and those of Catachans might also fit, but I don't know about the style.

misterboff
08-07-2012, 00:11
Are there any kind souls out there with Ork collections that could post a couple of side by side shots of various Gorkamorka and current range Orks?

I like the look for my new army, but I never collected Gorkamorka at the time, and they look a little smaller. Its hard to tell.

Cheers guys!

I'm a kind soul!

From left to right:

Pic 1 - GM Grot, current Grot, GM Slaver, current Runtherd, GM Boy, current Boy
Pic 2 - GM Spanner, current Mekboy, GM Nob, current Nob
Pic 3 - GM Warbike, current Warbike
Pic 4 - GM Wartrukk, current Truk
(It should be noted that my GM Wartrukk is incredibly weedy. Mine is actually two kits glued end to end, making it as long as the current Truk, but still nowhere near as tall.)

As others have said the Nobz are brilliant and a similar size, but everything else is quite a bit smaller than the current range and not as detailed. I painted these a looong time ago and have 2000 points as a kind of primitive (Snakebite) looking Kult of Speed. On a related note, they're a good size to use IG weapons as I converted some Burna Boyz and Tankbustaz using Cadian Flamers and Missile Launchers.

Senbei
08-07-2012, 20:54
Bandwagon Jumping time!

RT Metal Boy (wip), RT Plastic Boy (wip), 2nd ed Metal Boy, Gorkamorka Plastic, Modern-ish Boy.

Rt Grot, 2nd Ed, Gorkamorka, Modern.

RT Stormboy and 2nd Ed version (RT ones had jumpacks as optional equipment and the models didn't come with them... you had to buy em separately. The 2nd ed one is an E-bay buy... and headed for the paint stripper. He's painted in gloss paint. ^_^)

Last pic is a gratuitous dusty battlewagon shot.

Edit: Obviously 'Shades' were all the rage during the 80's.

Abaraxas
09-07-2012, 08:25
Ooh- the battlewagon is that elusive piece I need for my Orks-so jealous :chrome:

Senbei
09-07-2012, 09:53
Ooh- the battlewagon is that elusive piece I need for my Orks-so jealous :chrome:

They're not -too- hard to find, but I lucked-out and found a complete one for about 30 BiN. I also have a Landraider somewhere, but I had to take it apart and re-glue. Some bits of the hull were on backwards. :P

If you want elusive, try collecting all the different resin Gobsmashas they ever made ;)