PDA

View Full Version : Basic Spell Casting question

Frost57
06-07-2012, 18:29
When I was in a game a couple days ago, someone told me that when they cast any spell with xd6 strength y, that the xd6 is what determines the strength, with the y being the number of hits. I was under the assumption that the number of hits was rolled, and that they were at the strength value given last. Am I incorrect, or was I right this whole time?

TheOneHawk
06-07-2012, 18:47
You're right, they're derp.

Artiee
06-07-2012, 18:50
Its the number of hits x at str y

So Little Waaagh! Vindictive Glare is a magic missle that does 2D6 Strenght 3 hits. Thats 2D6 hits that are strenght 3

Mr_Rose
06-07-2012, 18:53
XD6 is the number of hits, Y is the strength, just as you suggest. I have no idea how it could be read any other way…
You should note that there are spells which do a fixed number of hits of variable strength, but they use the form "X hits of strength YD6" or similar. There are even a couple of spells that are variable for both, but they still use a similar format.

Frost57
06-07-2012, 19:04
Thanks guys. Is there an easy example I can point to in the book that will prove my point? It doesn't help that he has been playing longer than me, so its viewed as veteran vs rookie.

theunwantedbeing
06-07-2012, 19:23
It's common sense.

Shems burning gaze perhaps.
It does D6 Strength 4 hits...so he'll think it's 4 hits at a strength of D6.
However the boosted version states it increases the strength from 4 to 6.
So the strength has to be 4, not D6 otherwise the boosted version makes no sense.

The lore of light attribute also follows that line of thought.

Metacarpi
06-07-2012, 20:58
This is a joke thread, right? NOWHERE else does the value preceed the characteristic. Quick, better do a break test on a leadership value of 2D6 9 times! :wtf:

Frost57
06-07-2012, 21:04
I wish it was a joke thread, but he got two other people, new people like me, to agree with him. Just for simplicity I went with it, didn't want to make a big deal of it.

AntaresCD
06-07-2012, 21:12
I'd say this was a classic example of why you should always request to read the actual rule text (in this case the spell text) when you see anything questionable. I would imagine, based on all the spell descriptions I've read, that the spell text would solve this issue to anyone with a basic (i.e. grade school level) understanding of grammar. You're a new player, so you may have to do this alot but that's not a bad thing (other than the extra time it takes). Any person or group who gripes over or even refuses (this practice is unsportsmanlike and considered by most to be unacceptable) to allow you to see the rule in question is not someone worth playing, to be honest. On the other hand though, don't abuse this and try to rules lawyer everything. Just in general anything that makes you go "wtf?" or "are you sure it works that way?" is a reasonable point to ask for rules text.

Frost57
06-07-2012, 21:23
Thanks guys. I will probably ask again for them to look it over before starting another game, and pointing at some spells as evidence. Probably the ones Theunwantedbeing pointed out.