PDA

View Full Version : Space marines with "blessed "mutations

TheDungen
06-07-2012, 18:31
Lo Folks I've been debating giving my chaos sorcerer Raphael The Truthseeker a pair of wings. but the thing is he's a fallen and i want him to be able to pose as a loyalist space marine commander when it suits his goals. Would Imperial forces ever trust a space marine commander with a pair of angelic wings, i mean there was Sangustinius but he was a primarch so i guess he was of the hook.
He would never be able to fool the unforgiven of course and probably not inquisitors or other space marines, but IG regiments civilians pdf and planetary governors? How muich do they actually know of space marines. They're known as the angels of death, would it be a stretch of imagination for them to assume that there's nothing wrong with it being literal.

Also other mutations that could be seen as the emperors favour, glowing skin, halos of light and stuff like that?

Or will I have to say he uses sorcery to hide his wings when he's not fighting.

Askil the Undecided
06-07-2012, 19:09
Well if he could reasonably pass off the wings as part of the "skulls and angels" style fancy bling worn by many ranking Imperials.

TheDungen
06-07-2012, 19:30
well unless he's using some sort of illusion they should really be able to tell organic wings from ornaments.

The bearded one
06-07-2012, 21:23
If anything he could use the blood angel decorative wings, as the blood angels seem to be able to get away with it, but organic wings, wether explainable as 'blessed' mutation or not, is going to draw a helluvalot of attention and probably a healthy amount of suspicion.

Lord Damocles
06-07-2012, 21:27
Thingamie (Arkios?) from those terrible James Swallow Blood Angel novels got away with actual wings for a while (kind of... before the purging, and the death etc.)

TheDungen
07-07-2012, 07:11
If anything he could use the blood angel decorative wings, as the blood angels seem to be able to get away with it, but organic wings, wether explainable as 'blessed' mutation or not, is going to draw a helluvalot of attention and probably a healthy amount of suspicion.

You mean an unhelthy amount of suspicion i take it? especially since they would be right.

Maybe if i paint the wings as if they have an inner glow, i could say that they're made out of energy and only appear as he goes into battle.

Dont the SoB living saint have wings and a few blood angels sc though (the sanguinor and astorath) ? or are those just decorations?

kamedake88
07-07-2012, 09:43
Quite right, Arkio was made out to be a gift from the Emperor, so much so they called him "The Blessed". Except he had an inquisitor on his side and they were in an isolated war zone with no other Imperial contact.

To answer the question I would say no to the wings. Perhaps the wings can be concealable. Such as the sorcerer is able to mutate his body at will.

nagash66
07-07-2012, 09:45
Thingamie (Arkios?) from those terrible James Swallow Blood Angel novels got away with actual wings for a while (kind of... before the purging, and the death etc.)

Seeing as the new BA codex went out of its way to ignore the evens of those novels and the fact that the marine in question caused a chapter civil war i don't think he is the type of example the op wants.

Quite right, Arkio was made out to be a gift from the Emperor, so much so they called him "The Blessed". Except he had an inquisitor on his side and they were in an isolated war zone with no other Imperial contact.

Not to mention Dante, Mephiston and pretty much the entirety of the rest of the chapter called BS the second they heard of it.

superdupermatt
07-07-2012, 09:49
Saint Celestine doesn't have wings, but being a Saint she'd probably get away with it if she did.

Astorath and the Sanguinor have decorative wings but Astorath is shown in many drawings as having what looks like actual wings (6th BRB, his codex entry).

Spider-pope
07-07-2012, 18:20

To answer the question I would say no to the wings. Perhaps the wings can be concealable. Such as the sorcerer is able to mutate his body at will.

The thing is how many Space Marines will the Imperial Forces have actually seen? Theres less than 1 Space Marine for every world of the Imperium, so chances are all any guardsmen have seen are various paintings, stained glass portrayals, propaganda some of which no doubt depicts the Space Marines as literal Angels of Death.

It's not too big of a stretch to think some would view the wings as normal or believe some nonsense about them being a gift of the Emperor.

Seeing as the new BA codex went out of its way to ignore the evens of those novels and the fact that the marine in question caused a chapter civil war i don't think he is the type of example the op wants.

Not just ignore but unfortunately go directly against. One of the key plot points in the books was the Blood Angels had no myths about Sanguinius returning or having a reborn avatar, its one of the reasons Dante and co. call bullcrap immediately. Now we have the Sanguinor flying about.

blackcherry
07-07-2012, 20:51
If the chapter kept itself isolated (assuming the whole chapter agrees that the spontaneous mutations are ok and the marine isn't destroyed by his brothers to safeguard the rest of the chapter) then I can see them perhaps escaping the inquisitions notice for a while, especially if they are a fleet based chapter with no homeworld.

Soon enough though, if enough reports of 'winged marines' keep popping up, it will catch the inquisitions eye and then the chapters time is numbered. Best case scenario, they give up the marines with the mutations, submit their geneseed for testing and agree with whatever punishment is dealt out to them. Worst case scenario, the chapter is hunted down and destroyed, either by inquisition forces or their fellow marines who have come to remove any 'dishonour' the chapter has caused to the 'bloodline'.

Of course if you want to play narritive games, the above scenarios make for a brilliant setting. Either way, once the chapter is declared unstable, its only going to go one way.

TheDungen
07-07-2012, 23:29
The thing is how many Space Marines will the Imperial Forces have actually seen? Theres less than 1 Space Marine for every world of the Imperium, so chances are all any guardsmen have seen are various paintings, stained glass portrayals, propaganda some of which no doubt depicts the Space Marines as literal Angels of Death.

It's not too big of a stretch to think some would view the wings as normal or believe some nonsense about them being a gift of the Emperor.

Yeah thats kind of what i meant, but i'm limiting myself to interacting with imperial guard, any higher officials that have been around a little more would know better. but if they were just wings of light appearing during combat then it would be easier to see it as a sign of the emperors favour rather than a mutation, a keen sighted inquisitor would propably see though it still but thats their job Raphael will simply have to silence anyone who does.

If the chapter kept itself isolated (assuming the whole chapter agrees that the spontaneous mutations are ok and the marine isn't destroyed by his brothers to safeguard the rest of the chapter) then I can see them perhaps escaping the inquisitions notice for a while, especially if they are a fleet based chapter with no homeworld.

Soon enough though, if enough reports of 'winged marines' keep popping up, it will catch the inquisitions eye and then the chapters time is numbered. Best case scenario, they give up the marines with the mutations, submit their geneseed for testing and agree with whatever punishment is dealt out to them. Worst case scenario, the chapter is hunted down and destroyed, either by inquisition forces or their fellow marines who have come to remove any 'dishonour' the chapter has caused to the 'bloodline'.

Of course if you want to play narritive games, the above scenarios make for a brilliant setting. Either way, once the chapter is declared unstable, its only going to go one way.

Which chapter? the Dark Angels? Oh the unforgivens' only problem with turning a fallen over to the inquisition is what he may say before he dies. But when a first founding chapter and all their sucessors want you dead, slowly and repenting before death then drawing attention to yourself is a very stupid idea.

The thing is the inquisition would be right to call bluff, since the wings aren't really a sign of the emperors favour but of the favour of one of the lesser gods of chaos.

Well all things considered i think i'll go with energy wings /wings of light, kind of like a cross between regular wings and Tyrael's wings in diablo.
Now how do i make that on a miniature.

the reason i want him to have wings is that i'm considering letting him ascend to demonhood at some point and it seems strange he would do so with no prior gifts, i'm pretty sure absorbing that much chaos energy at once would turn him into a chaos spawn.

LotusCorgi
08-07-2012, 03:25
Sounds good. Chaos works in mysterious ways...

TheDungen
09-07-2012, 04:38
If there are any other invisible mutations or mutations that space marines may get away with that fits the angelic theme that you can think of i'd appreciate it.

Athlan na Dyr
09-07-2012, 08:08
Aside from the customary halo?
Glowing eyes or something similar (skin? armour?) fits well with a blessed theme, however it is also a sign of Daemonic possession (although that could be a good thing depending on the fluff of your marines). Problem with this and the halo is how to represent this without being an utter pain in the rear (to put it politely) or require a bit of clear plastic. Lightning is relatively easy (I'm currently using a simple 5 stage technique for my Wraithlord which is quite effective), but is more 'psyker' than angelic...
Alternatively, if you are going for a more Diablo-esque type of angel the empty hoods they have would be all kinds of cool.

I'm getting the feeling that wasn't all that helpful...

TheDungen
09-07-2012, 14:39
The empty hood is what i plan to do with the demon prince. A demonprince sized empty hood clad in armour.
I'm considering letting the sorcerer have a demon weapon disguised as a force weapon too (chaos sorcerers cant have demon weapons anyway).

Mikial
10-07-2012, 01:48

They really were terrible novels, weren't they. :chrome:

=Angel=
10-07-2012, 02:38
You can totally get away with organic wings.
Those little servo cherubs have vat grown bird or batwings.
There's no reason a spacemarine commander couldn't be gifted with cyberorganic wings by the mechanicus.
They could even just plug into power armour rather than be grafted to the body.
Its what I assume is.going on with azeroth.

Zimfan
10-07-2012, 08:58
For what it's worth this fellow took inspiration from Diablo for some wings he made, and for a Loyalist character even. From what I understand he used wire as a frame and then added green stuff.

For a cross with angelic wings maybe make the frame so that they're more a pair of wings rather than tentacles, but paint them so that they look like they're made of white or blue light?

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?showtopic=246096&hl=Tyrael

Well all things considered i think i'll go with energy wings /wings of light, kind of like a cross between regular wings and Tyrael's wings in diablo.
Now how do i make that on a miniature.

the reason i want him to have wings is that i'm considering letting him ascend to demonhood at some point and it seems strange he would do so with no prior gifts, i'm pretty sure absorbing that much chaos energy at once would turn him into a chaos spawn.

TheDungen
11-07-2012, 16:20
i was thinkign of havign normal wings and then painting them with inverse highlights like you do when painting fiire, but in white ofcourse. That way they apear to give of light then i add a few swirls of power around them painted the same way. But i'm lazy so i'll propably just modify that blood angel character with the axe slightly, a wepon swap and maybe a headswap and then the swirls of power.

Erzanj
12-07-2012, 08:27
In Dark Heresy (the roleplaying game), psykers can grow all sorts of things through the use of Biomancy, including wings. They can even fully turn into an animal, or temporarily acquire strange Traits like Burrower, Dark Sight, Quadruped and such. And we're talking about sanctionned psykers in mission for Holy Terra!

A Chaos Sorcerer could pretty much do any of those things through a mix of biomancy and sorcery, and appear with or without wings as he sees fit.

Nicho
12-07-2012, 08:31
Isnt there a loyalist marine faction with bony spikes growing out their arms and heads? Dragon warriors or something?

Erzanj
12-07-2012, 08:36
Isnt there a loyalist marine faction with bony spikes growing out their arms and heads? Dragon warriors or something?

The Black Dragons.

Lexicanum page: http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Black_Dragons#.T_6MG_Wfbj4

TheDungen
12-07-2012, 18:10
Still i think having permanent wings doesn't fall under the description keeping a low profile. So i'll go for the semi magical wings that appear in battle.

And black dragons are cursed founding. I'm talking about a singular marine trying to pass as a dark angel space marine (purest gene seed there if i'm not mistaken?)