PDA

View Full Version : Do you give your lord/hero a title?

ShadyMonkie
06-07-2012, 22:44
Me and my friend got back into Warhammer recently and had few small games today.
After the game my friend re-named his Bret Paladin to "Jules-the-Stegadon Slayer" from "Jules the Unlucky."
As you can guess from the nickname, or title, he is much pleased with his paladin after today's battle and his name change gave me an interesting thought.

Do you name your hero/lord? Did you give him or her special nickname? I would love to hear all kinds of heroic deeds and any kind of lame-o your leaders of army have/had done!

Back when i played WE i had a WE spellsinger who shot down a chariot with Korhil and effectively delivering death sentence to the cheeky HE.
The game ended in draw but nonetheless my spellsinger gained the title of Lion-Hunter as to my enjoyment, and my friend annoyance, for the rest of his lifetime.

Urgat
06-07-2012, 22:48
Well, my characters have names, but they never really do anything noteworthy. My 20 old 5th ed plastic common gobs I call my lucky gobs, though, because whatever they do, they always outperform.

Metacarpi
06-07-2012, 22:48
I tend to give everything a unique name when I'm writing up my army list - helps bring the battle on the table alive for me! My gaming group does mock me for it though!

Lecai_Lathain
06-07-2012, 22:56
Each of my character models has a name associated with them, and the lords generally have some form of back story. Playing through Blood in the Badlands, a number of regiments are also getting names now too.

Morkash
06-07-2012, 23:47
Voted for Name Only but I usually have a small story for every unit, at least in my Ogre army. The stories are not based on achievements in games, I write them more to provide some background, especially for the Maneaters. (where every single one has a story since everyone comes from a different background)

I never named a unit based on its achievements yet, although there might be a strong contender in form of my boar chariot "Gork's Fist", which performed great several times now ... but then again it is already named Gork's Fist. :D

EddieJA
07-07-2012, 01:42

Why of course.

My valiant leader, Klaus Von Kleiner is the Lord-Mariner General of the Nordland 473rd "Claw Wardens". He famously dueled and defeated the Orc Warboss Ugrok Beard-Burner atop the lost Dwarven hold of Karak Valin.

Tarian
07-07-2012, 02:11
My High Elf lord is Prince Alain Dar-Corith, and most of my characters are named (and a few unit champs).

Most of them have a backstory/personality as well, as they were used in a campaign I was going to run, but never got around to. (Had all the backstory ready though.)

I named all my Skaven characters, with Squeekitch the Burnt being the longest one around, especially due to his predilection to nuking himself with warp lightning.

Lance Tankmen
07-07-2012, 02:27
every one of mine has a name, and in my group ive gotten my friends to name theirs as well.

Border Prince Lance L. Tankmen of the Taco bell Princedom, Slayer of the hydra at the battle of the blood river, Grail Knight of bretonnian.
Blood-Talon, his hippogryph mount. given the title blood after rending a vampire lord apart.
both were slain by 6 fiends of slaanesh. He was followed by his son Lance Tankmen Jr. whom has done nothing of importance.

Then the Grail Knight Gunthar of Bretonnian, Paladin of Mcdonalds. Often fights on foot, has dueled many vampires, has yet to end one before the battle was called

Walter, Standad Bearer of the Lady, Paladin of Taco bell Princedom.

Fredrick, son of Baron Karl the second, Paladin of Carls Jr castle.

Becca, Damsel of the Lady,Friend to Tankmen line.

Stacy, Damsel of the Lady, often accompanies Walter in his travels

Sexiest_hero
07-07-2012, 05:48
My DE dreadlord is called the "Sultan of satisfaction" Due to him diving into challenges, where he daintily slaps the other lord with his glove to invoke a dual. He usually is laid low and his dragon has to do all the dirty work.

GW2lag
07-07-2012, 05:58
I voted for "My lord needs to start earning his title" because my Liche Preist's (hero version, not even a lord) only accomplishment was being charge by 30 Bloodcrushers, only to issue a challenge to the Herald and get promptly slaughtered

Dreadknight1994
07-07-2012, 06:05
my nurgle chaos lord is named Rakorageris The Plague Lord :D the most famous thing hes done background wise is, when skulltaker turned up with his khornate cohort, Rakorageris walked up to him and punched him in the face and then proceded to hack his way through half the khornate daemons and then he infected the other half with plagues :) back ground wise this happened when he was just a exalted hero.

Damian2142
07-07-2012, 06:42
I call my skaven warlord "Lord Rattington" as he is the only character in my skaven that has even bothered to kill other characters in epic duels and does it nicely (No overkill bonuses -sad face)

TheDungen
07-07-2012, 06:56
Atharion te tuin Salendor. The Exiled Prince.

The Ked
07-07-2012, 09:06
Names yes, titles no. They haven't earned them yet.

Orc Warboss Kruk with his trusty flag bearer Krumpit and shaman advisor Noggin.

cyberspite
07-07-2012, 12:45
Supreme Overlord Ratfink the Valiant, General of the Skrittar Legions, Father to a Million Ratlings, Husband to a Lovely Brood Horror, Beloved and Courageous leader of Clan Skrittar.

Has yet to achieve anything of note.

MOMUS
07-07-2012, 13:45
I like it when players have named characters, there was a thread around here somewhere in the fantasy section called something like 'order of battle' where people posted names of armies and generals.

Lorcryst
07-07-2012, 16:16
I voted "name only, nothing fancy" because I always give a name to my characters, from basic to convoluted, but they rarely survive the battles, so I usually don't give them titles ...

The exception being my Daemon characters, as of late, because they are technically immortal (kill me ? I'll just respawn in the warp, by the grace of mighty Papa Nurgle), and because they did nice things in the last couple of months (got me my first win in 8th ed, and two hard-fought draws).

They are named as follows :

Mephiticus the Decayed, Great Unclean One
Flatulus the Slimy, Herald of Nurgle

There is a bit of cheekiness in there, the Slimy is thus titled because I always take the Slime Trail gift for him, and Flatulus because his other gift is Stream of Bile, that I once described as a very explosive bout of diarhea ...

My Lord is "Decayed" because of the Trappings of Nurgle and Nurgling Infestation gifts he has in 3K games, because I see those as a crust of rotted flesh crawling with Nurglings ...

I don't name my unit champions tough, they tend to die ignominously in challenges anyway :p

Urgat
07-07-2012, 17:39
Flatulus the Slimy

Flatulus heh? :p Could have called him Flatulus the Smelly :D

My orc warboss is called Urgat Gut'Reapa', but it's more because it's the name of the tribe rather than anything he did. Though in fluff, it's easy to say he just reaps the guts out of his foes with his bare hands, I guess :p
My goblin warlord's name I'm still looking for after all these years, trying to find a clever play on word with Phileas Fogg and something goblinesque, coz my goblin warboss in chief is supposed to be a gentlemanly (riiight :p) globetrotter.

Soundwave
07-07-2012, 18:36
I do but no re-naming:( once there dead that is it!This for me also applies to special characters,so i am most careful!

Lorcryst
07-07-2012, 18:50
Flatulus heh? :p Could have called him Flatulus the Smelly :D

Both work ... I'll maybe re-title him "the Smelly" if he dies next game (up until now, my GUO didn't survive, but the Herald did).

Dreadknight1994
07-07-2012, 18:52
well my army is a nurgle one so they get resurected alot :D

Sexiest_hero
07-07-2012, 22:14
I have a GOU named luis armstrong, ad modeled to look like him as well. I always do one of his tune when he is in CC, to crack everybody up.

The Ked
07-07-2012, 22:17
My goblin warlord's name I'm still looking for after all these years, trying to find a clever play on word with Phileas Fogg and something goblinesque, coz my goblin warboss in chief is supposed to be a gentlemanly (riiight :p) globetrotter.

Killyest Grot. Thats terrible but I'm throwing it out there.

Urgat
07-07-2012, 23:12
Ah, nah, thanks but it's got to be recognisable, and it's got to work in French too. Not that easy :p Never found better than the plain Phileas Gob >>

m1acca1551
08-07-2012, 03:11
I stopped naming them... its just to painful when there killed :p

MyNameDidntFit
08-07-2012, 06:20
My Warriors of Chaos are the Varangian Guard led by the Chaos Lord Basil.

Some may recognise this as a historical reference. The main reason for picking it is because of the actual history to it: the Varangian Guard were the elite personal bodyguard of Emperor Basil II of Byzantine and consisted almost entirely of Norsemen sent from Kiev and bolstered over the years by any Norsemen seeking glory in battle. Rather a fitting for Chaos, I think.

The second reason is that I listen to a lot of Viking metal while playing my games as it fits amazingly ;)

(also a name as casual as "Basil" is awesome on a Chaos Lord!)

ShadyMonkie
08-07-2012, 06:33
That awkward moment when your hero's mount, a cold one, plays an epic part in wiping out enemy Greatswords including BSB/General/wizard.

Jind_Singh
08-07-2012, 06:41
My Goblin Warboss is called Ol Jolly - cuz he's never smiled or joked since he fell out of a tree a few years back while trying to escape some Tomb Kings out on the hunt for 4 chariots his clan had looted from the Dead Lands.

He's also, as a result of falling out the tree and banging his head, developed a Gork complex and thinks he's meaner and better than Orcs! This leads to some bad things for me in the game as I can't back down from a challenge as he'd never live it down!

Quite often he'll also issue a challenge or lead his unit into charges against the enemy elite units to 'teach them a lesson' - strange as it sounds though both him and his unit have performed some true miracles!

Today, for e.g. they were charged by a horde formation of Iron Guts, 3 deep, with 2 characters - and beat them senseless! OK so I had the Spider banner and a buff to poison from magic - but I beat the Ogres by 29 points!!!!

Leogun_91
08-07-2012, 09:37
I have gone another route, with 8th edition I added a timeline tidbit with each battle I fought, creating quite a long timeline, it therefore fits poorly to have characters with permanent names, instead I try to think up some before the battle as well as a reason for them to fight. After this I add it with a few rows to my timeline.

Lord Solar Plexus
08-07-2012, 11:09
Yes:

Horst Hanswurst, Prime Pantaloon Paul, Tom Fool von Trollingen, Revered Punchinello, First Royal Weakling, Nuln Chief Nutball...

Urgat
08-07-2012, 14:15
I stopped naming them... its just to painful when there killed :p

Mine never die, at worst, they're knocked out :p

Tarian
08-07-2012, 17:46
Mine never die, at worst, they're knocked out :p

Mine tend to get knocked out or grievously wounded, as I tend to have a Life Mage around in my lists even if things go horribly wrong.

Awilla the Hun
08-07-2012, 23:21
It is of course counter-revolutionary to accuse Our Dear Leader, Glorious Comrade Chairman Heinrich von Stahl, Comrade-General of the Red Guards, Light of the Proletariat, Order of Revolutionary Merit (1st Class) of having anything so aristocratic as a title.

stazba
09-07-2012, 04:11
Ah, nah, thanks but it's got to be recognisable, and it's got to work in French too. Not that easy :p Never found better than the plain Phileas Gob >>

I'll though my hat in.

Phileas Fogg
=
Griveas Gobb

sorta sounds like grievous (a good orcy/gobbo shoutout), but a bit more classy when pronounced more like Phileas.

Give your model a classy top hat (perhaps using it as a wysiwyg wizard hat) and some side whiskers modeled on, or better yet a flying carpet modeled as a balloon in some way, and if people know around the world in 80days they will get the name.

starlight
09-07-2012, 05:18
Depends on the Army. Some do, some don't. :)

En Sabbah Nur
09-07-2012, 07:29
I always name my characters, as I am a role-playing game with a huge imagination, and I really care about personalizing characters. It gives a little of me unto the game ;)

En Sabbah Nur
09-07-2012, 07:34
Ah, nah, thanks but it's got to be recognisable, and it's got to work in French too. >>
That is not that hard... a lot of French "celebrities" names can easily be distorted, even if they are not internationally reknown :D

unwanted
09-07-2012, 17:04
Supreme Warmonger of the Upper Lairs, Warlord General Viskrit Foe-Slasher,Sire of a Thousand Stormvermin and Right Paw of His Terrible Mercilessness, Kratch Doomclaw of Clan Rictus. I know, he's a very subtle and humble servant of the Lords of Decay.

Sure, he's achieved very little as I don't really get any games, but when have a lack of actual achievements ever kept a Skaven from self-agrandishment...

ColShaw
09-07-2012, 17:13
My Brets have William Bohun, Earl of Northampton (real English lord who commanded the English right flank at Crecy).

The Orcs and Gobbos have CaveBoss 'Eadsmasha.

The High Elves have Prince Aenor Escalon.

Pavisel
09-07-2012, 18:44
my high elves are led by a prince, titled Lord General Tallaithan. (Back when ravening Hordes was the only 'army book' and few army titles were available) He is mostly unkillable, has finished off a bloodthirster by passing insane courage TWICE and single-handedly slew a unit of five man-eaters. (with a little help from his trusty steed, Darius, of course;))

the rest of my characters are all named, but really no one else has a title.

my skaven have their Warlord McBain, and I have some great back stories for my grey seers, Lucky Biskit and Skrittick the Mad (he is the only seer crazy enough to ride my converted double-screaming bell.) no special titles for anybody though. yet....

pointyteeth
09-07-2012, 19:04
My Lore of Heavens sorcer lord in my warriors of chaos army is Eidolon, Prophet of Morrslieb and Comet-Caller. Any guesses as to why? ;)

Oogie boogie boss
10-07-2012, 10:22
My SO Big Boss is Oogie the Great, and my SO Shaman is Boogie the Wierd. Together they form my (sometimes) unstoppable force, the Oogie Boogie Tribe! I haven't come up with any other character names, as at a mere 1,000pts I haven't been able to include any. When i do, i'll wait and see what they achieve before giving them something appropriate.

Also, when I build them, my two Giants are going to be called Rokky and Apollo Krude.

Metacarpi
10-07-2012, 11:24
Also, when I build them, my two Giants are going to be called Rokky and Apollo Krude.

:p Love it!

boli
10-07-2012, 16:32
Most of my units/heros accumulate nicknames along the way... none suitable for repeating as it is generally given in annoyance (either by my opponant; or myself depending how combat is going).

But they are never given a name beyond "general dude"; "plague priest" etc.

MrSplicer3
10-07-2012, 17:22
My Khorne Lord only yesterday earned a title. He was up til then only Rorak but now he is Rorak the Defanger because he slaughtered two vampires and a strigoi ghoul king. One vampire and the ghoul king he killing blowed and the other he slew without killing blow. I'm happy now. He carried that day.

Kayosiv
11-07-2012, 05:08
You can read all about the Vampire Lord Kayos von siv in my Battle report thread. See signature :D

En Sabbah Nur
11-07-2012, 12:47
Not only do I name my characters, but also units (and their champions) from my armies. Few examples : The Sandstorms are my 6 TK Chariots unit lead by their champion Sekhmet the Merciless, Huinixotl proudly commands the Skink unit Chosens of Itxi, and many evil deeds have been performed by Eron Flickwrist and his Sweet Pain Dealers (Corsairs) from Kar Ganath...

I am a compulsory classifier : I name everything !!

AM1640
11-07-2012, 16:13
Some of the tournaments I have attended in the past gave points out for having background story and names for characters and units. I would introduce them by name as I deployed. However during the heat of battle to keep refering to a unit or character by name took too long and was confusing for the opponent so it would usually stop by turn 3 of each game.

Shadowfane
12-07-2012, 10:31
Given my warhammer playing is currently as part of a campaign, all three of my heros of legend have a name, and a title - and given that I'm playing TK, their names and titles taken up several lines of typed on A4.... :p

Asensur
12-07-2012, 10:54
I give my units and characters names.

I give them titles if they do some remarkable thing during previous matchs.

Glen_Savet
12-07-2012, 16:55
My Brettonian lord is Reinholdt "Ren" Galloglas, Guardian of the Copper Temple of the Black Goat of the Woods.

Meatballer
13-07-2012, 15:01
The Once and Future Thrawg added "Bonesmacka" to his name after a long series of battles against the Vampires, that culminated in the Vampire Lord being defeated in a duel and forced to lead his undead armies under Thrawg's banner against an awful lot of lizardmen.

Edit: I might also Mention he was just Fat Thrawg until the Warrior of Chaos book released a charachter named Throgg.

Ace of Blades
14-07-2012, 20:07
Just started playing Skaven, but been considering naming my grey seer "Lord Scritchener" and painting a unit filler with a banner with his face and the text "Your Clan needs YOU" as a tribute to Lord Kitchener (British General in WWI)

phoenixguard09
06-09-2012, 03:10
My High Elves are led by Prince Raethelas Silverglaive and his dragon Minaithir. He got the title because I always liked glaives, so I converted the Prince model I had to use one. During a game with a friend, the Prince was referred to as the silver-glaive guy. The name stuck. ;) After some time I decided I'd start using a dragon so I bought the plastic dragon kit and converted the rider so he looked like my Raethelas on foot, specifically using a glaive.

As far as epic things he's done, he's killed a tooled-up Chaos Lord is single combat while his White Lions went one for one with the Lord's Chosen bodyguard around them. Almost a year later, he and Minaithir took down a Khornate Daemon Prince who was the previously defeated Lord reincarnated.

They have fought on at least fifty battlefields, through victory and defeat. Raethelas himself has been laid low on occasion but I have never had Minaithir die, despite only being a Moon Dragon by rules. As an aside, every character in my High Elf army is named, as is pretty much every champion. The champion of my Sea Guard, Randariel, has taken down many things you wouldn't expect in challenges, the high-point coming when he managed to take out a Bretonnian Paladin BSB in a single round of combat. ;)

My Bretonnian army is led by Baron Alador Valancio of Gisoreux. No title, but all the characters in the army are named again. I haven't played many games with my Bretonnians ever since I sold my old army.

I have a handful of other armies but I haven't bothered with names and titles for any of the others.

kylek2235
06-09-2012, 03:56
My Night Goblin Lord (yes, you read that right!) is named Cap'in lil' Funny Hatz and my Ogre Tyrantess is named Demora the Buxom. Demora is actually named after a friend of mine's sister. She didn't take it as a compliment! Another friend of mine named his bret characters things like Senor Beatdown, Captain Insane-O, Cockmaster Flash and Moneybags (the former being knight characters and the others being peasant champions.

Gotta have cool names for your characters

Nubl0
06-09-2012, 08:33
This is interesting, you see in my armies they have too earn a name first and then a title. My ogre bsb is known nork frog squisher in reference to a game where he landed the killing blow on a slann with his stomp, he also smashed skulltaker in a challenge once. My other characters have not done anything of worth yet.

The Odor
06-09-2012, 10:39
.... I name all units, all champions, all characters and all armies. For an example Garmand The Striker (my only horse mounted Chaos lord) named for his abillity to ride through a battleline with his Chaos Knights Garmands Strikers who are lead by the champion Andros. In the same army I have the Sorcerer Lord Itanos Shadowkin, Master of the Grey Wind and the Arts of Tzeentch who are guarded by his bodyguard Valdek the Unbroken (named for so far never... Breaking from combat.) and the aptly named Mage Wardens.
My Khorne lord is Bjorn of the Graelings who have earned the title Slayer of Men since he almost always Killing Blows against the General of human armies and Dragon ripper after he scared off a chaos dragon after taking all but one wound off it in one round of CC.
My two Slaaneshy Lords ONLY have titles. The Ascended on my sorceress and the Fallen the chaos lord. The Ascended "fights" with the chosen known as The Resplendent and the Fallen fights with the Broken. This has to do with their backstory where the one who becomes the Ascended is a Slaaneshy person seduces away a HE commander and remakes him as the Fallen.

So far my Slaanesh, Khorne and Tzeentch are the only ones fully named but I am working on my Nurglites and Chaos Dwarves too. I have the Hobgoblin Khan whose title will be The Terrible... I am trying to change Ivan to some funny gobbo thing...

Graxy
06-09-2012, 16:18
Mine only go as far as "Socerer Lord manditory Level 4" and "Black orc Warboss animosity blocker" :p

Kallstrom
06-09-2012, 20:42
My Great Bray-Shaman is called O.J MacStoneface. For obvious reasons.

Lordcypress
07-09-2012, 04:15
No names unless tournaments require them. I guess I'm too old and boring. Don't really see the point.

Lord_Byron
07-09-2012, 04:19
My Beastlord has the title "The Most Violent of all Gor".

arthurfallz
07-09-2012, 14:42
I came up with a few names for my Bretonnian Lords and Paladins, but they've been performing so poorly of late that I've decided that they are going into battle in neutral colours... or I gave up trying. :D

I'm thinking of putting a lot more effort into my Dark Elves. I have made them a female-centric army, with all the unit champions as women (where I can), and a large emphasis on Witch Elves and Sorceress'. Once I have the army collected, I'll be thinking of some character to give them.

warboss6820
08-09-2012, 20:33
I named my orc big boss "the stunty crumpa" after he single handedly defeated 2 units of dwarf warriors and a cannon.

Why
10-09-2012, 05:08
Greggor the three armed beastlord and Brunor the great bray shaman have been waging war on the warriors of chaos for many years, due to a type of little brother complex:p

Shnerg
10-09-2012, 21:44
Inquisitor Clair De La Pamplemousse is my personal best in 40K.

In Fantasy, my Woodie Noble is called Baroness Birch, because of her armour. I have "What A Birch" written around her base. :P

Majinmonkey
19-09-2012, 03:37
Best thing about ogre names is they are also titles.
The only ogre name that has stuck is on my bsb, who's load out changes very little each game.
He is Gorgarm Dragonbearer Giantbreaker Gutgrabber.

although recently my iron guts champion was the only survivor of a pit of shades, and rolled insane courage not to flee, went on to solo charge 15 HE spearmen, their wizard and their bsb, killing the bsb in one round of single combat, and going on to run them of the board.
So suffuse to say that champion may have earned one.