PDA

View Full Version : Space marines real life scale.

fayfay1980
07-07-2012, 05:29
I saw Prometheus a few weeks back and I thought that the xeno "engineer" reminds me of SM or CSM in size and massive scale. Marines are about 8 - 10 feet tall right? The Engineer is about the same high I think.

Born Again
07-07-2012, 06:12
Haven't seen the film yet but space marines are 7 foot tall. End of story. See here (http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/16701480/images/1319315741991.jpg).

Lord Squidar
07-07-2012, 06:43
You mean 8 foot end of story. 7 foot is right in the middle of his shoulder pad

chromedog
07-07-2012, 07:23
It would be 8' - except the measuring starts at 1' NOT 0.

So, sure, a marine is 8', but only when wearing his 1' platform boots.

Master Beleth
07-07-2012, 08:34
Haven't seen the film yet but space marines are 7 foot tall. End of story. See here (http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/16701480/images/1319315741991.jpg).

Heh. Now imagine that marine standing at attention instead of squating.

Hendarion
07-07-2012, 08:48
Nice picture. Jes looks really slim compared to that Marine. :D

DivineVisitor
07-07-2012, 10:37

So since the measuring starts at 1 and taking into account the armour marines are about 6 and a half foot tall?
Midgets.

In my world Marines are 8 foot :D

trigger
07-07-2012, 11:09
It's a nice picture but it dosnt work properly
I'm 6ft 15stn reasonably built with a bit of a poge :) I jaunt trained in a couple of years.
So with that in mind I have no biological enhancements ,(i.e my bone structure is not thicker nor has my muscle mass increased by let's say 80% on top of me at my fitest /strongest) and by no means am I super human.

That power armour would be less than 1" thick on my fore arms and only a total of 2"thick on my upper legs.

However my meager 44" chest would be rattling about in the torso plate

Hendarion
07-07-2012, 11:30
Well, trigger, that's a typical syndrom of Space Marines anyway. They must look ridiculous without armour: The arms very far away from the body (=weird looking shoulders), short arms, small heads, thin arms and thin legs, but huge feet and chest.
LOL... I just visually imagined it. A mix of a Hobbit, Gollum and some kind of monster. Funny that. :D

borithan
07-07-2012, 12:29
It's a nice picture but it dosnt work properly
I'm 6ft 15stn reasonably built with a bit of a poge :) I jaunt trained in a couple of years.
So with that in mind I have no biological enhancements ,(i.e my bone structure is not thicker nor has my muscle mass increased by let's say 80% on top of me at my fitest /strongest) and by no means am I super human.

That power armour would be less than 1" thick on my fore arms and only a total of 2"thick on my upper legs.

However my meager 44" chest would be rattling about in the torso plateNear 1" of armour on your fore arms is bloody thick for personal armour. The idea that it would be thinner on Space Marines is fine with me (going by the models they are one of the mostly lightly armoured sections). And that huge chest is presumably partly filled with many of the systems integrated into the armour.

Of course the armour doesn't realistically work, but then "realistic" power armour looks a big ugly and **** anyway.

I always thought the Emperor could just appear how he wanted to be. He passed as a normal human when he wanted(and I would take his "normal" size to be normal human anyway), and he could appear as a 9 foot tall god when he wanted. I always thought much of the presence of the Emperor and the Primarchs was an illusion created by their psychic signiature. Still fairly big (though in the past I believe Leman Russ was meant to be about the same size as a normal marine), but they seemed even bigger than that.

theunwantedbeing
07-07-2012, 12:49
The guy who played the Engineer in Prometheus was Ian Whyte and he's 7ft1.
So no, he isn't 8-10ft tall at all.

Isambard
07-07-2012, 12:58
May I....

http://www.philipsibbering.com/wh40k/10-01-marine-morphology.shtml

trigger
07-07-2012, 13:07
Neophyte: A marine is taken from exceptional fighting stock, often humans of a minimum of 6'6" with many being closer to 6'9". It is rare for humans larger than this to be taken as often such great size is down to growth defects rather than a stable gene pool of feral warriors.

How many 10-14 year olds are 6'-6"

Unless this fluff has changed

Veteran Sergeant
07-07-2012, 17:31
7'-7'6" is the "official" size.

The Black Library novels have them plodding around at anywhere from 8-10 feet, but it's kinda silly. Ultimately, making Marines bigger and bigger would have diminishing returns as they became too large and heavy to fit in ship corridors, doorways, hallways, stariwells, ladders, lifts, etc that had been designed with regular humans in mind. Space Marines would need to be big enough and strong enough to lug around the crazy weapons they have, but after that, the bigger they get, the bigger of a target they become and the harder they have moving around in close quarters.

Besides, I think a seven and a half foot tall armored psychopath fulfills "rule of cool" just as well as a 9 foot one, lol.

PANZERBUNNY
07-07-2012, 17:42
If people don't know how to measure, how are they playing this game? Honour system?

Guyver 3
07-07-2012, 18:06
Go to warhammer world they have a lifesize spacemarine, gw just model them smaller,
An ork warboss is supposed to be 10'
A rhino should be bigger than a land raider
Landraider should be baneblade sized
All the models should be 20mm not 28mm

Its not true scale and never will be so there:p

MooseOnTheLoose
08-07-2012, 00:33
Heh. Now imagine that marine standing at attention instead of squating.

Their junk clearly gets in the way so thats as straight as they can go lol

fayfay1980
08-07-2012, 03:35
high tech weapons makes L size a disadvantage. Hand to hand combat, L size has advantage most of the time... but with guns and such tech... small is better. Example real life: VC vs. US army in green hell jungle.. . .. VC small size and tunnel system gave them some advantage over larger size american. Smaller size target also gave them advantage when it comes to shooting also.

Fully trained 5ft guy with M16 vs. fully trained 7ft guy with M16 fighting in a forest.... I would think that the 5ft guy has the "edge".

But back to topic, man.. that space engineer reminds me how Chaos SM look... freaking large and scary!

Zombiecrackers
08-07-2012, 14:10
In my world Marines are 8 foot :D

Agreed I have always imagined the marines standing around 8 foot tall, awkward moment when a guardsmen is talking to a marine xD

Veteran Sergeant
08-07-2012, 15:14
So since the measuring starts at 1 and taking into account the armour marines are about 6 and a half foot tall?
Why would the armor add half a foot? A couple inches at most. The Marine still has to fit inside the armor properly, so the armor needs to conform to their basic shape. Now, whether or not the models have realistic proportions, no, they definitely don't. But even from a fluff perspective, Marines outside their armor would definitely look "odd" though. Their chests are significantly larger than a normal human's, probably to accommodate the extra organs, and allow for the reinforced skeletal structure too. It's one of those things you have to consider, instead of assuming Space Marines will look like regular people, only bigger. They're probably going to be a bit "gorilla" looking, lol. Remember, they're purpose built murder machines, not fashion models for teen girls to swoon over.

On the topic of the thickness of the armor, you're also not going to be measuring armor in thickness like some WW2 tank. The effectiveness of power armor is probably just as much in composition as it is in thickness. It might have multiple layers for more effective dissolution of kinetic energy, be highly heat resistant for diffusing energy weapons, etc.

Haravikk
08-07-2012, 16:10
Judging by the various artwork, I'd say the height of a Space Marine, as well as the size of each individual body part, is completely random.
While I'm a fan of the new rules, I found myself disappointed by the cover artwork of the Dark Angel with T-Rex arms. I've never been a fan at all of the massive shoulders, tiny head school of artwork either, some of the novel covers are well-painted, but laughably proportioned.

Anyway, I've always worked under the assumption that a Space Marine should be just a scaled up athletic (not over the top super lumpy) body-builder in terms of physical build, and a bit over 7' to stand around a head taller than most regular humans, before adding the inches thick armour into the equation.

Senbei
08-07-2012, 17:09
and a bit over 7' to stand around a head taller than most regular humans, before adding the inches thick armour into the equation.

If you work under the assumption that most people in the 41st millennium are malnourished to some degree (certainly going to be an issue on some guard recruiting planets like Necromunda or Cadia, where proper food can be difficult to get at times) your average guardsman suddenly becomes a lot shorter... say 5'6" to 6'. At 6'6" I stand a good deal taller than someone who is 6ft. At least half-a-head. Your 7ft marine would look pretty scary.

How many 10-14 year olds are 6'-6"

I was... I think. I hit 6ft at about 10 years of age. Can't remember when I hit 6'6", but I stopped after that. Can't say that it helped me much in life, sadly. Except with high shelves and lightbulbs. Too many people expected me to act like an adult when I was still a kid. One day I'll get round to boring a psychiatrist about it.

sprugly
08-07-2012, 19:13
I always assumed marines are around 7.5 foot unarmoured and nearly 8 in power armour. Bear in mind the vent on top of the helmet and thickness of the soles, could easily add nearly 6".

But remember that while almost all marines are huge there would be differences. They're not ALL 8 foot tall. I would imagine anywhere from 7 to 9 feet fully armoured depending on gene seed, how much the modifications effected the individuals growth and how tall he was to start with.

As for the size of the chest, there are lots of cables and stuff under the chest plate, the mk6 has these exposed but the mk7 has a huge cover over them.

Of course at the end of the day its art. The models are obviously exaggerate in their proportions and slightly short, ad the art work has variances and exaggerations all of their own. So no real conclusions can be drawn from them

Sprugly

Hendarion
08-07-2012, 21:11
May I....

http://www.philipsibbering.com/wh40k/10-01-marine-morphology.shtml
Ah, that's what I was looking for, but couldn't find it again. Look, it's Ogres in space!

kamedake88
09-07-2012, 01:43
I saw Prometheus a few weeks back and I thought that the xeno "engineer" reminds me of SM or CSM in size and massive scale. Marines are about 8 - 10 feet tall right? The Engineer is about the same high I think.

I thought the same thing to be honest. Marines are on average 8 feet tall with exceptions. Chatting with a buddy of mine who worked special effects on Prometheus a few weeks (who is also a 40k player) had to do a double take when he was watching dailies with the crew during production. He almost fell out of his chair when he saw the engineer.

They pretty much are tit for tat marines by another name especially in terms of scale to normal humans. So basically we have a perfect picture of what a Night Lord or a Raven Guard marine looks like minus the Black Carapace