PDA

View Full Version : Which do you prefer? Hydra or Aegis Defence Line with Quad-Gun?

Responds
08-07-2012, 10:28
Kinda stuck choosing between them. The Quad-Gun has interceptor rule which could be really handy and the defence line could harbour my HQ squad behind my line of Chimera's. But using a Hydra would give me another tank on the field with my mech list, cheaper and is also manoeuvrable. So yeah....

Which one do you think is better?

Hulkster
08-07-2012, 10:31
The tank is more survivable, but only just.

The tank also costs more money to buy defence lines are 18 and the tank is 45

Responds
08-07-2012, 10:33
However the tank is 25 points less?

And i'm thinking the tank can be stunned and things... which would then stop it shooting, plus it's a bigger target?

Von Wibble
08-07-2012, 10:36
I prefer the aegis line. None of my armies can have a hydra so its quite an easy call.

Responds
08-07-2012, 10:46
I prefer the aegis line. None of my armies can have a hydra so its quite an easy call.

Yeah but this is pretending you can >.<

Kakapo42
08-07-2012, 10:51
I personally would prefer a Skyray that works, however I think I would go with the defence line, simply because this edition seems to be more focused on infantry, so anything that benefits them ought to be a plus. You on the other hand may be batter off with a Hydra if you're going the mechanised route.

BigHammer
08-07-2012, 10:58
Bear in mind that skyfire weapons without interceptor are pretty rubbish against ground targets (everything that isn't a skimmer, flyer or flying monstrous creature), and the quad-gun starts to look pretty good. As an Eldar player, I know which I'd rather go up against (the hydra). Sure it ignores jink saves, but it's actually slightly easier to kill, and it can't take pot-shots at reinforcements from reserve...

Responds
08-07-2012, 19:32
Looks like I'll go with the quad gun then :D

koran
08-07-2012, 19:44
Im having a tougher choice on if I should take the quad gun or the lascannon on the defence line.

Mechanium
08-07-2012, 20:01
Quad over lascannon every time, the twin linked makes the contest really one sided. The quad does more damage to av 10-11, and against av 12 is something like 4% less likely to wreck per shot, and even against AV 12, the quad is more likely to wreck in 2 salvos then the lascannon.

Only edge to the lascannon would be against AV13, which is currently just the assault ram which needs to hover to use most of its abilities anyway, and intercepting instant deathable models.

MarkNorfolk
08-07-2012, 20:35
On the original question, I drawn more to the Hydra. It can move to get line-of-sight to a target, comes with a hull weapon, can be given a pintle weapon, can get their cover save buffed to 4+, can't be taken over and by the enemy, can tank shock and ram.

Cheers
Mark

Private_SeeD
08-07-2012, 21:46
I'd go with the Aegis Defence Line cause it's cheap in pts and money terms... planning on getting a Contemptor dreadnought and it does have the ability to be made a AA platform aka the Mortis Pattern... would anyone use their Contemptor like that?

Spiney Norman
08-07-2012, 21:51
Neither, I prefer bringing my own flyers, the fortifications are a very expensive way of getting an anti-air weapon into your list, and given that most of the scenarios are objective based, leaving a squad behind to man the defence line hinders mission completion more often than not.

All of my armies can either take flyers of their own (DE & Necrons) or ally with a force that can.

Chem-Dog
08-07-2012, 22:59
I have a Hydra, it fitted the theme of my army all those years ago when it was bought for me and I was pleased as punch when it made the jump over to the Codex.

I'm not all that convinced that dedicated anti-air is essential to be able to keep playing though. Some people see to think Bs1 = Auto Miss, perhaps they are used to B5+ on a regular basis but for someone regularly needing 4's to hit anything, 6's isn't all that more terrible.

In the game I played on thursday I managed at least one 6 with almost* every snap shooting unit I used, given how fragile vehicles are generally and how much more fragile a flyer is.

I'll be experimenting with IG Heavy Weapon Teams and Bring it Down!, as I'm pretty sure a trio of Autocannons would be enough to menace most flyers. Going to try with Snipers and Lascannons too.

*Snapping with my Ogryn did manage to miss everything, but they also managed the same in the turn after despite a much more sedate pace.

Hawkkf
08-07-2012, 23:28
I think the defence line with quad gun is more versatile. For 25 points more than a hydra you get interceptor and cover for your units. Interceptor allows you to get the first strike on fliers and use against non fliers/skimmers. The quad gun is more fragile and can easily be blocked by terrain placed after it is set up, but can be manned by a vet, commisar, or even a lord commisar for better chances of hitting overall.

Also, a single hydra/quad gun will statistically only result in a single glance/pen before evading. The quad gun allows them to evade which forces them to snapfire which may be useful against fighters (not sure if it prevents a bombing run), while the hydra ignores the jink save completely.

That being said I agree the Vendetta is the best ant-air I can think of right now. Three zooming twin-linked lascannons can solve most questions about how to kill most armour/fliers in the game.

Dangersaurus
08-07-2012, 23:39
Depends. An army with static heavy weapon infantry or artillery will really benefit from one of the fortifications more than just having another tank, so it comes down to army composition. In a force with a lot of hulls, hydras. In a mostly infantry force, fortifications.

Kloud13
09-07-2012, 01:53
Lol. I wonder if I can put a Devestator Squad in the Aegis Defence line, and have one of the meat shield guys man the Quad-gun, then the Sgt can give him +1BS with the Signum.

I think I plan on taking an Aegis Defence line anyway, and I also have a Forgeworld Whirlwind Hyperios Turret. Between the Quad-gun and the Whirlwind both having Interceptor, and Skyfire, at least one enemy flyer should crash and burn on arrival.

Charistoph
09-07-2012, 02:53
Quad over lascannon every time, the twin linked makes the contest really one sided. The quad does more damage to av 10-11, and against av 12 is something like 4% less likely to wreck per shot, and even against AV 12, the quad is more likely to wreck in 2 salvos then the lascannon.

Only edge to the lascannon would be against AV13, which is currently just the assault ram which needs to hover to use most of its abilities anyway, and intercepting instant deathable models.

And Blood Angel Land Raiders... not that those are terribly common.

Responds
09-07-2012, 08:40
I think at 1250 I may purchase a defence line and quad-gun, and at 1500+ I'll have my defence line, quad gun and hydra tank :)

Caitsidhe
09-07-2012, 14:26
Neither, I prefer bringing my own flyers, the fortifications are a very expensive way of getting an anti-air weapon into your list, and given that most of the scenarios are objective based, leaving a squad behind to man the defence line hinders mission completion more often than not.

All of my armies can either take flyers of their own (DE & Necrons) or ally with a force that can.

They are an expensive way to do it, but the Aegis is the best bang for the buck. The key difference is the guaranteed 4+ Cover for key troops (probably your long range Heavy killers or a unit camping an objective), and the fact that the Quad Gun gets that free shooting the moment other units Deepstrike or fly in. It has the potential to kill them before they even act.

jt.glass
09-07-2012, 15:34
Lol. I wonder if I can put a Devestator Squad in the Aegis Defence line, and have one of the meat shield guys man the Quad-gun, then the Sgt can give him +1BS with the Signum.Why wouldn't you be able to?

owen matthew
09-07-2012, 20:05
Anyone know if we can make our own, or does it need to be the one GW sells? Same for the bastion. I want to use these, but I do not want to pay 40$ for 4 plastic walls, or $30 for some 2'' barriers. The pricing on them is absurd, the rules seem too good to pass up...

Dangersaurus
09-07-2012, 20:36
Anyone know if we can make our own, or does it need to be the one GW sells? Same for the bastion. I want to use these, but I do not want to pay 40$ for 4 plastic walls, or $30 for some 2'' barriers. The pricing on them is absurd, the rules seem too good to pass up...

You can and should make your own. It's a fun way to express your creativity and turn the game into a real hobby. It's anyone's guess from opponent to opponent how they'll feel about you using them though.

owen matthew
09-07-2012, 22:25
That is what I want to avoid, other people telling me "no"

Does anyone here know the dimensions... ie height and length of the pieces?

It might go easier if I can just say "here is my own piece, don't worry, its the same as the GW one in therms of dimension".... no extra benefits at all.

Spiney Norman
09-07-2012, 22:41
They are an expensive way to do it, but the Aegis is the best bang for the buck. The key difference is the guaranteed 4+ Cover for key troops (probably your long range Heavy killers or a unit camping an objective), and the fact that the Quad Gun gets that free shooting the moment other units Deepstrike or fly in. It has the potential to kill them before they even act.

My only imperial army is Sisters of Battle, the only "long range heavy killers" in my list are exorcist tanks, putting a squad of battle sisters into an aegis line would be a waste of a unit which should be up close, boltering and flaming the enemy in the face.

Caitsidhe
09-07-2012, 22:47
My only imperial army is Sisters of Battle, the only "long range heavy killers" in my list are exorcist tanks, putting a squad of battle sisters into an aegis line would be a waste of a unit which should be up close, boltering and flaming the enemy in the face.

Perhaps but I don't think they will get anywhere close to the opponent to be flaming them in the face. :) I have been playing numerous games with 6th Edition and it is my considered opinion that most battles are going to end up being opposing gun lines blasting away at middle to long distance at each other. Attempts to "get up close" don't end well so far as I've seen.

Kakapo42
10-07-2012, 01:35

A squad of Battle Sisters would be a waste, you are right, but what about a squad of heavy bolter armed Retributors?