PDA

View Full Version : Best build for Tau Commander

alexh
08-07-2012, 12:40
As title. I'm new to Tau and having just bought the battleforce, I'm wanting to make the battlesuit as a commander.

xerxeshavelock
08-07-2012, 12:43
I use a Shas'el with Plasma, Fusion amd Multi Tracker, plus a hard wired multi trackerand drone controller. I also have the bodyguard armed the same with a Targetting array and 2 gun drones.

alexh
08-07-2012, 12:51
I use a Shas'el with Plasma, Fusion amd Multi Tracker, plus a hard wired multi trackerand drone controller. I also have the bodyguard armed the same with a Targetting array and 2 gun drones.

Thanks, one question though, what is the benefit of taking 2 multi trackers?

vitch
08-07-2012, 12:59
Thanks, one question though, what is the benefit of taking 2 multi trackers?

There isn't one.

I'd look at taking Black Sun Filters with the new Night Fighting probability.

otakuzoku
08-07-2012, 13:01

its a good build. i my self would say missile pod over fusion (never had much luck with them), and throw on a hard wired black sun filter aswell

carldooley
08-07-2012, 13:03
magnetize magnetize magnetize

alexh
08-07-2012, 13:05
magnetize magnetize magnetize

Hehehe, I am waiting for a delivery of magnets.

otakuzoku
08-07-2012, 13:21
i would take a shas'el with missile pod, plasma rifle and Targeting array. with Hardwired multi-tracker, drone controller, and black sun filter with 2 shield drones.

when starting off with tau i would not advise the fusion blaster (never had any luck with them my self). it requires you to get close witch is not a good idea. if you had the points free to take a shas'o swap out the Targeting array with a flamer its cheap and useful in tight spaces.

and yes magnets

xerxeshavelock
08-07-2012, 13:23
Gah! Sorry, only one MT of course. In a big game I'll add a Missile pod each as well, and from now on have to consider the Blacksun.

Kakapo42
08-07-2012, 13:29
My own Shas'O is armed with a cyclic ion blaster and airbursting fragmentation projector, simply because I think it looks awesome, and a support system depending on my fancy at the time. However for a more practical loadout you can't go wrong with a plasma rifle, especially with the new +1 AP2 weapons get when damaging vehicles (I think, I don't have access to the new rulebook so I can't say for sure).

lantzkev
08-07-2012, 13:50
I like going with either CIB and AFB or plasma rifle + CIB.

unknown_lifeform
08-07-2012, 14:00
Because of the loadout of the rest of my army I like to equip my commander for dealing with hordes. I give him a missile pod, airburst fragmentation projector, flamer, hard wired multi tracker and hard wired blacksun filter. He then joins a unit of crisis suites armed with missile pods and plasma. Note you can only fire 2 of the 3 weapons at any one time, the flamer is a weapon of last resort when an infantry horde starts getting too close.

At the start of the game his main function is to give the unit night vision and chip in with his missile pod against light vehicles and other targets. Later on he can start using his airburst projector to clear infantry out of cover (especially when nicely clumped, such as in a destroyed transport). If the enemy are getting really close he can jump in with flamer and projector and really slaughter them. The advantage of this loadout is its pretty cheap and gives my army something it doesn't otherwise have (a way of clearing large numbers of light infantry out of cover). It is a bit of a legacy from 5th though when area terrain was a 4+ cover save. He's still pretty useful though. The main disadvantage is a lack of a shield generator/shield drones, but he's usually in a unit making use of LOS blocking terrain. It does make him vulnerable when he leaves the unit though. You could give him shield drones if you wanted, I just like to keep him cheap.

Col. Dash
08-07-2012, 14:39
I like CIB/plasma/TA, MT, BSF comes to right around 100ish points and is the most efficient mathhammerwise to kill termies. Plus it looks cool.

alexh
08-07-2012, 16:16
Some good advice here chaps, I'll have to wait until my magnets arrive to start building. Also, I'll try to get hold of some of the metal commander weapons since GW seems to have removed it from the store.

samiens
08-07-2012, 16:29
Mines been the same for years. Fusion blaster, missile pod, plasma rifle, H/w multi-tracker on a shas'el. Quite often he will also have shield drones too. Cheap, versatile and a useful addition to Deathrain and fireknife suits

xerxeshavelock
08-07-2012, 16:41
Just thinking about why I set mine up like that: I want my opponent to ne scared of it. Works, too ( barring some mega builds) Also, my OCD means the whole squad has the same to hit rolls :-)

Stonerhino
08-07-2012, 19:36
Standard = Shas'el+plasma rifle+missile pod+targeting array+hw multitracker+(new hw Black sun filter)
For fun = Shas'o+plasma rifle+missile pod+ABFL+hw multitracker+(new hw black sun filter)

Sometimes I add a hw drone controller to either. The Fireknife configuration seems to provide the most lethal balance between kill-ability and points cost across the larget number of targets. The new hull points increases that ultility more with the added ability to down vehicles with glances. Especially with the 2D6 withdraw in the assult phase.

Noserenda
08-07-2012, 19:46
Ive been considering sticking on an extra flamer for emergencies v hordes and on overwatch. Worth the Slot?

xerxeshavelock
08-07-2012, 19:55
Ive been considering sticking on an extra flamer for emergencies v hordes and on overwatch. Worth the Slot?

if you can spare it sure, why not?