PDA

View Full Version : 750 Pts Escalation League - Dark Elves

Brother Haephestus
09-07-2012, 05:48
HEy gang.

Starting a 750 (growing to 2000) escalation league in two weeks. Looking for some general build advice, good things, bad things, etc.

At this point, my plan is the following:

Master on cold one, one, HW, Lance, Shield, Heavy Armor, Sea Dragon Cloak, Talisman of Preservation, Ironcurse Icon.

5 Cold One Knights, one promoted to Dread Knight, with Ruby Ring of Ruin, MSB has Banner of Murder.

2x Units of 16x warriors with Light Armor, Spear, Shield, with full command

Reaper Bolt Thrower.

mostlyharmless
10-07-2012, 05:41
Ugh, 750, that's a tough nut to crack. At low points, I'm a fan of corsairs and dark riders over spears. The speed really helps alot, playing points denial and picking off weaker units.

Jotun
10-07-2012, 06:57
I think you might have a couple issues with this list.

1. The 2 units of 16 spears. what will they do? They don't have the numbers to rely on ranks, nor do they do any damage.

2. Your unit of knights plus master is really scary, but also your only threat and the vast majority of your points in one unit.

3. No real focus. You don't have enough shooting to sit back and wait for the enemy, but you don't have enough speed and hitting power to take the fight to him either.

I would suggest maybe making one unit of spears bigger and then turning the other into a small unit of like 10 Repeater crossbow elves. This way you have a unit to provide rank bonus (Static CR) and some more shooting to let you sit back and force the enemy to you.

Something like:

Master w/ Cold One, Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, shield, Lance/Halberd (Lance is great on the charge, but since the knights are also great on the charge you might want the halberd to help keep your damage output up if you get bogged down)

30 Spears w/ shields+Full Command+Warbanner (Static CR!)

10 RxBs w/ Shields+Musician+Champion (increase volume of shooting, champ was to fill last couple points, but along with shields will help them fight off enemy light units.)

5 Cold One Knights w/ Full Command (Gotta protect the general!)

Reaper Bolt thrower

total: 749

I tried to keep the models pretty similar to what was in your list since I don't know what you have. It still be nice to have more threats, but not sure what to change.

I also feel like you could use some magic defense, or atleast some way of hunting enemy mages, so maybe give that some thought too.

Hope that gives you some ideas on what you could do :)

Brother Haephestus
01-08-2012, 20:30
That's some really great advice Jotun, much appreciated. Since this is an escalation league and the builds are two weeks apart I opted to let magic skate during the first 750 and then throw in at 1000. Still thinking of doing that, except one opponent is Vampire, and I simply cannot allow him to have his way with magic!

Oh - my forces are pretty much limited to bn box and a few pieces (general, bolt thrower, assassin).

Warrior of Chaos
21-08-2012, 00:25
Hey Bro Haep! I had thought you'd settle into your Ogre happy place, but I am pleasantly suprised to see you trying Dark Elves. That is awesome! And yes...you can just let me, "have his way" with the magic phase. I won't complain. I promise.:evilgrin:

Dirty Mac
21-08-2012, 09:02
How does escalation work? can you only add new units? or can you add things to existing units too?

scourge66
22-08-2012, 00:30
Master w/ Cold One, Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, shield, Lance/Halberd (Lance is great on the charge, but since the knights are also great on the charge you might want the halberd to help keep your damage output up if you get bogged down)

30 Spears w/ shields+Full Command+Warbanner (Static CR!)

10 RxBs w/ Shields+Musician+Champion (increase volume of shooting, champ was to fill last couple points, but along with shields will help them fight off enemy light units.)

5 Cold One Knights w/ Full Command (Gotta protect the general!)

Reaper Bolt thrower

total: 749

these points are incorrect on the xbows and warriors.

Warrior of Chaos
22-08-2012, 00:46
How does escalation work? can you only add new units? or can you add things to existing units too?

The basic concept is to start out at 750pts (new army). Those in the league have 3 weeks to assemble enough models with their chosen army to reach that mark. Gaming starts after the first three week mark when everyone has 750 built.

1. Every two weeks you must build another 250pts and the previous quota must be primed/painted. (as you might guess the first 750 is hardest)
2. People score points with our local game store for hitting the marks. (assembled, fully painted, on-time or late..etc.)
3. We play games in store which score us points.
4. Special events (i.e. painting competition / tourney...etc) get us points. These are usually held on Saturdays, while we just get together and paint/build on Mondays and Tuesdays.
5. At the end of the season (which will last until 2000pt mark); we'll hold an auction and get discounts (at our sponser game store: Orbital Games, Sierra Vista AZ) based off of points we have earned...etc...

Escalation basically means the size of the army rapidly grows and the types of special events start to expand based off of army size. It is actually a lot fun.

Total Points earned + Games played W/L/D = the overall season winner.

Dirty Mac
22-08-2012, 00:52
Yeah , what I meant was , can you changer banners on your warriors? or are you stuck with the one you choose at the start of the game. example, warbanner in game one, then change it to swiftness for game 2.

Warrior of Chaos
22-08-2012, 01:19
You can change up. You just need to increase your army size by 250pts every two weeks. That 250pts can be a single model, a unit, or a combo of the previous with upgrades to existing...etc. Make sense?

EDIT: You can't NOT add more models. There has to be a net gain towards the next goal.

Dirty Mac
22-08-2012, 01:55
so 30 warriors with FC, and the banner of swiftness , could be changed to 30 Warriors with FC and the Warbanner, but not changed to 31 warriors.

Warrior of Chaos
22-08-2012, 02:21
EXAMPLE:

1. You build 30 warrior w/ FC, banner of swiftness.
2. After two weeks you built at least one more model, though you will probably need more than that early on, to include in your list. Lets say you build 15 maruaders w/ GW (you now have 30 warriors w/FC and 15 marauders w/GW). You can can change up items and arrangements all you want on both units. You just need to hit the points mark for the upgrade when it comes time to play. You can build and paint up more models than you need as well, there is nothing stopping you (except time, money and patience).

With Vamps, I built 60 zombies even though I only needed about 30. I have extras so I can vary the size of my horde and for raising. Nothing says my units MUST stay at 30 zombies. One game I might play two blocks of 20 or one block of 30...whatever. Some games may add standard and musician, and some I may leave them out. The key things in an escalation league are: 1) Army must grow to meet points objectives (even if by only one model: i.e. adding a Giant to your WoC army)... 2) Your list can vary and change within the constaints of the models you have built for use in the league, and what is allowed for your points level. The giant is a good example here because it cost over 200pts but less than a 250pt escalation bump; so whatever change is left over in points you could use to upgrade a previously built unit or to give a character items ..etc.

Dirty Mac
22-08-2012, 07:20
Ok, Thats good, Cause I thought that if you skimped on a champ at the start to save points, then you were stuck without one for the rest of the tourny.

That being said, Here is a list I would run.

750 Pts - Dark Elves Roster

5 Cold One Knights, 200 pts FC
1 Ring of Hotek

28 Dark Elf Warriors, 205 pts (Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Shield;

10 Dark Elf Repeater Crossbowmen, 125 pts (Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Shield;

1 Master, 135 pts (General; Hand Weapon; Heavy Armour; Sea Dragon Cloak; Shield;
1 Cold One
1 Whip of Agony

5 Shades, 85 pts Extra Hand Weapon;

Total Roster Cost: 750

immortal git
22-08-2012, 21:59
Master, sword of +2 attacks, potion of strength. what up son

scourge66
23-08-2012, 22:07
Master, sword of +2 attacks, potion of strength. what up son

that totals up to 60 pts for PoS +2S in core book, and the DE PoS +3S 70pts. a master's max is 50pts, but add a pendant for a lord gives 6 WS8 S6 (core book PoS) I8 attacks with hatred for 95 pts, not bad actually, good monster hunter, but i usually just pit them first turn and be done with it. i never leave home with out pendant, while we still got it any any, it will be gone in the next book or 50pts min.