PDA

View Full Version : Will some of the monsters in Monstrous Arcanum show up in future army books?

Sinsigel
09-07-2012, 14:03
It might sound far-fetched, but after reading Arcane Phoenix and Merwyrm sections in Monstrous Arcanum I have been thinking about chances they will show up in future HE army book.
The fluff and relationship tables at the end of the books shows two monsters being intimate to HE. The 8th ed. tendency to add a few monsters/buff-models to rare slots also seemed to suggest that their addition to HE 8th book might not be wholly unlikely.

To summarize what these monsters are(without writing down costs), Arcane Phoenix is more of a supporting model whereas Merwyrm is 'outright' monster, i.e., suited for charging headlong and smashing things apart.
The Phoenix's attacks are all flaming and the model itself cannot be wounded by flaming attacks. During CC, Phoenix can 'burn' models in base contact. It also gives penalties to non-magical attacks when such attacks roll To Wound aginst the phoenix. And when killed in CC, it has 1/3 chance of reviving with few wounds. There are several upgrades including providing re-rolls for Ld tests, getting magical attack or ASF, and most shocking of all, providing Frenzy to stoic and abstinent HE near the Phoenix. While its offensive capability is slightly better than that of a Great Eagle, it's still tough and has decent number of wounds. Add aforementioned resistance to non-magical attacks, revival special rule and HE have an excellent tarpit model for dealing with skavenslaves, gobbos, gnoblars, etc.

Merwyrm on the other hand have stats similar to that of a 'normal' dragon(WS6 S6 T6, 3+ Scaly Skin). It is so far the only model with Sea Creature Special rule and can regenerate, making it one tough monster. Its attacks are poisoned and can boost up the strength of one of its attacks, which is strong enough to wound most things on 2+. Even TK sphinxes aren't wholly safe from this single attack.

So far, both models can be excellent additions to HE, fluff-wise and game-wise. Phoenix can provide good buffs to nearby units while serving as good tarpit for large block of S3/4 troops, while Mermyrm is more-than-decent monster with good durability. However considering that new 8th ed. books include at least one box set which can be assembled in two types of models, I am not sure whether these two monster can be an adequate candidates for the new HE book.(If they can get one)

Athelassan
09-07-2012, 14:07
I think it's unlikely. ForgeWorld tend to focus their efforts on projects that the studio isn't going to pursue to stop a conflict of interest developing, and if the new army books were to contain Arcanum monsters they'd probably produce new plastic kits for them. You might see some of them making the leap eventually, like the Baneblade did in 40K (especially if they pull the same trick they did over there of nerfing essential units in between releases and giving you new, similar ones to take instead) but I wouldn't expect to see it for many years yet.

thrawn
09-07-2012, 14:15
i agree, it is unlikely we'll see anything, however it is not unheard of, as we can see in 40K, lots of models that we thought would never make it mainstream did (ie titans, flyers, etc.).

i'm just such a fan of forgeworld. the books are amazing, models are great, i like them more then GW (even thgough they are the same). sometimes i get frustrated though, their molds often are defective. :(

Lorcryst
09-07-2012, 15:35
Good question ...

First off, I don't think that High Elves will be redone for 8th ed, but that's only my personnal speculation based on the presence of Limited Edition Spell Cards for the HEs ...

But, as was said, most ForgeWorld rules and models stay ForgeWorld only, with a few exceptions ... those exceptions tend to appear 3~6 years after the ForgeWorld rules/model have been produced ...

So, since the Monstrous Arcana book is fairly recent, and those two particular models haven't been released yet, I'd say those won't make an appearance for at least a year, more probably three, setting them somewhere in 2015, perhaps in time for 9th ed (IF we see that one day).

cyberspite
09-07-2012, 22:58
Well, I don't have monstrous arcanum but it would certainly be interesting to see some of those more race specific monsters make their way into more army books, although I don't see it happening anytime soon.

The rules for the merwrym sound perfect for a new wood elf forest dragon too, albeit without the water aspect.

zoggin-eck
10-07-2012, 03:44
No, I don't see why they would, or what good it would do.

Jind_Singh
10-07-2012, 18:29
I don't see why not - what a great way to get people to buy into both GW and FW product - they may very well do just that!

Vazalaar
10-07-2012, 18:39
Good question ...

First off, I don't think that High Elves will be redone for 8th ed, but that's only my personnal speculation based on the presence of Limited Edition Spell Cards for the HEs ...

But, as was said, most ForgeWorld rules and models stay ForgeWorld only, with a few exceptions ... those exceptions tend to appear 3~6 years after the ForgeWorld rules/model have been produced ...

So, since the Monstrous Arcana book is fairly recent, and those two particular models haven't been released yet, I'd say those won't make an appearance for at least a year, more probably three, setting them somewhere in 2015, perhaps in time for 9th ed (IF we see that one day).

I could be mistaken, but I thought Harry mentioned HE will be the book after Warriors of Chaos or after the armybook Dwarves if Dwarves comes after WoC. This could mean that we see HE in january or february.

Lorcryst
10-07-2012, 18:47
I could be mistaken, but I thought Harry mentioned HE will be the book after Warriors of Chaos or after the armybook Dwarves if Dwarves comes after WoC. This could mean that we see HE in january or february.

Well, that could be ... I've stopped reading the rumours forum, too much wishlisting and too little facts ... plus, with the new policy of GW regarding rumours, we only get them a week before release, if that :p

All I know for certain is that WoC will be the next Army Book released ... the rest is still in the mists ... but personnaly, I don't see the need to re-do the High Elves, but then, I've only played against them with my Night Goblins [was butchered every time, darn ASF], and I'm still in the process of buying my own High Elf army (yeah, I succombed to the pull of "elite + high magic + all lores").