PDA

View Full Version : Blood Angel Players: How should I expand my army?

Addiction
09-07-2012, 22:13
OK guys here is the skinny. Currently I have full compliments of all assault troops (walking and jumping), DC (walking and jumping), vehicles all magged, etc. If its not on the list below then I have a full compliment with all the available options. The things I have room for:

Dreadnought Drop Pods (thinking of getting three of these)
Only 3 Speeders (room for 6 more)
No bikes
90 scouts (room for up to 90 more including bolter and sniper variants)
Honor Guard (I own none)
10 Assault Terminators (I currently have 20)
10 Regular Terminators (I don't own any)
A bunch of tactical squads (I only have one)
A bunch of dev squads squads (I only have one)

I'm leaning towards getting the 3 dread drop pods, 3 more speeders, 30 more scouts and stopping there. Am I missing anything? What would you recommend?

xerxeshavelock
09-07-2012, 22:24
Points/effectiveness aside, I think Land Raiders are badass- you can never have enough of those.

xerxeshavelock
09-07-2012, 22:26
Points/effectiveness aside, I think Land Raiders are badass- you can never have enough of those. Dump all your Rhinos?

Addiction
09-07-2012, 22:27
Points/effectiveness aside, I think Land Raiders are badass- you can never have enough of those.

I have 4 Crusaders and 2 regular Landraiders.

Addiction
09-07-2012, 22:29
Also I should probably add I'm considering a Thunderhawk. It depends on what happens in regards to adding them to 40k and/or rewriting Apoc.

xerxeshavelock
09-07-2012, 22:30
That answers that. Redeemers!

Addiction
09-07-2012, 22:33
That answers that. Redeemers!

Don't care for them very much. It's hard to get all its weapons in arc on one target. Thats why its not on my list, its not even under consideration.

xerxeshavelock
09-07-2012, 22:44
Hmmm. I know 2 Dark Angel players with 1 or more Battle Companies, but I have never seen a Blood Angel one. How about that as an aim?

Cantina Fly
09-07-2012, 22:53
3x Drop Pod for Dreads (How did you deploy them before?)
1x Tactical Squad (I like 2x in any marine army.)
10x Regular Terminators (They are actually an effective counter to Assault Termies with LC being AP3.)

Addiction
10-07-2012, 01:59
Hmmm. I know 2 Dark Angel players with 1 or more Battle Companies, but I have never seen a Blood Angel one. How about that as an aim?

Sorry duplicate post.

Addiction
10-07-2012, 02:01

One company is ten squads right? I believe I have a full 1st, 2nd and part of a third company. 3 vanguard, 1 Sternguard, 5 Sanguinary Guard and 5 Terminator squads is my first company. Six squads of walking assault, six squad of jump assault (with about 20 extra models each) is my second company. Scouts tact and leftovers is my third. Unless you mean specifically 6 tacts, 2 assault and 2 devs. I don't want more devs and while I might go for 1 more tact I would never go to 6.

I was playing full on DOA prior so I have NEVER fielded a BA tact squad.

Addiction
10-07-2012, 02:04
3x Drop Pod for Dreads (How did you deploy them before?)
1x Tactical Squad (I like 2x in any marine army.)
10x Regular Terminators (They are actually an effective counter to Assault Termies with LC being AP3.)I have norm drop pods, I don't have any dreadnought drop pods. I mean the forge world ones with assault doors are the ones I want to buy 3 of. I'm getting those because I have 7 dreads and I suspect that shortly you will be able to use them in regular 40K games.

Mini77
10-07-2012, 13:35
If you're considering Lucius Pattern Drop Pods for your Dreadnoughts (the ones you can assault out of) - Blood Angels can't take them.

alexh
10-07-2012, 13:43
Necron allies? :D:D

stainawarjar
10-07-2012, 13:56
One company is ten squads right? I believe I have a full 1st, 2nd and part of a third company. 3 vanguard, 1 Sternguard, 5 Sanguinary Guard and 5 Terminator squads is my first company. Six squads of walking assault, six squad of jump assault (with about 20 extra models each) is my second company. Scouts tact and leftovers is my third. Unless you mean specifically 6 tacts, 2 assault and 2 devs. I don't want more devs and while I might go for 1 more tact I would never go to 6.

I was playing full on DOA prior so I have NEVER fielded a BA tact squad.

One company is a hundred-ish Space Marines. And the Sanguiniary Guard aren't part of the first company.

Addiction
10-07-2012, 19:23
I thought all Veterans that were not sarges were first company? But it doesn't surprise me that I don't know anymore because I have not read any fluff in over a decade. In any event I have, rough count, almost 240 marines. I'm thinking its about 140 jump packs and 80 walking guys not counting characters. So I probably have company well covered.

And hey, in my version of blood angels Sanguinary Guard ARE 1st company lol.

Addiction
10-07-2012, 19:27
If you're considering Lucius Pattern Drop Pods for your Dreadnoughts (the ones you can assault out of) - Blood Angels can't take them.

That just sucks, I can't get Stormeagles and I can't get dreadnought drop pods. Thats just wrong!

trigger
10-07-2012, 19:31
Not really , you have a dread that can kill almost any squad in one turn. And storm eagle is because you have the raven.

Addiction
10-07-2012, 19:55

Actually unless I'm looking in the wrong place this says I can take it: http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/i/IA2update28AUG.pdf

Addiction
10-07-2012, 20:01
Not really , you have a dread that can kill almost any squad in one turn. And storm eagle is because you have the raven.

I can't argue the point with the dread, but who needs a deep striking assaulting dread more than I do? Also The Stormeagle seems to have more fire power by having the option to show up with a multimelta and two twin linked lascaoons plus that nifty little missile launcher. I really like that piece of rolling thunder. And in a world where flyers shoot down other flyers being able to throw 2 heavy weapons at one flyer and a third at another could be a good thing.

Plus I really like the Storm Eagle model a lot.

trigger
10-07-2012, 20:54
With the drop pod make sure that is the latest edition of the FAQ.
First they could have it ten they could not

Just checked no it's not , IA appocolipse they can't have it

Casper Hawser
10-07-2012, 21:34
The latest edition of Imperial Armour Apocolypse says no to the Lucius Pattern drop pod for Blood Angels codex or rather it says yes to all space marine codex's apart from Blood Angels I don't if that faq is before or after it's release.

On another thread where I was asking if the StormRaven was available to all since sixth edition shows it in space marine vehicles section, someone said that their local GW store manager rang HQ and was informed StormTalon, StormRaven and StormEagle were available to all marine codex's but I don't know if thats right or not. The latest IA book will have info on StormEagle.

If you've got money to spend and play Apoc games often I'd defo invest in a ThunderHawk wish I could afford one.

Addiction
10-07-2012, 22:38
The latest edition of Imperial Armour Apocolypse says no to the Lucius Pattern drop pod for Blood Angels codex or rather it says yes to all space marine codex's apart from Blood Angels I don't if that faq is before or after it's release.

On another thread where I was asking if the StormRaven was available to all since sixth edition shows it in space marine vehicles section, someone said that their local GW store manager rang HQ and was informed StormTalon, StormRaven and StormEagle were available to all marine codex's but I don't know if thats right or not. The latest IA book will have info on StormEagle.

If you've got money to spend and play Apoc games often I'd defo invest in a ThunderHawk wish I could afford one.I'd say now the Storm Raven is not available to everyone, that typo doesn't have a points cost. Thats just me, personally I'd prefer the StormEagle however since it has room for a jump squad.

I like the model a lot but paying $600 and 900 points for a vehicle with 10 rear armor does not seem to be a prudent decision. That may be just me however.

If I can't get the drop pod I am cool with it, it seems murderous to allow me to have it lol.

Mini77
10-07-2012, 23:25
Actually unless I'm looking in the wrong place this says I can take it: http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/i/IA2update28AUG.pdf

That FAQ for Imperial Armour 2 was superseded by the rules in Imperial Armour Apocalypse 2nd Edition. No Land Raider Achilles for Blood Angels either.

Chief Librarian Zypher
11-07-2012, 08:31
I'd say now the Storm Raven is not available to everyone, that typo doesn't have a points cost. Thats just me, personally I'd prefer the StormEagle however since it has room for a jump squad.

I like the model a lot but paying $600 and 900 points for a vehicle with 10 rear armor does not seem to be a prudent decision. That may be just me however.

If I can't get the drop pod I am cool with it, it seems murderous to allow me to have it lol.

...... first off, as an owner of a thunderhawk, that is a BIG model on a regular table. if you can get rear armor when i'm in hover mode, you have permanent 0% chance of scatter (mordrak for instance).

now on to the original topic to the original poster.... since walkers can now overwatch, and wall of death applies to all template weapons, consider a frag cannon combined with a heavy flamer. it works wonders when charged. secondly, i totally agree with everyone that said you should get some redeemers, especially at the point discount on your assault squads. consider some of the special characters they have as well. there are quite a few threads chatting about tycho/corbulo combo.