PDA

View Full Version : Using Orcs, Dwarves and Elves in a Chaos Warrior Unit

Flash Felix
09-07-2012, 22:56
G'day,

I'm hoping to start a Warriors of Chaos army at some point, and I'd like the units to look suitably 'chaotic'. The GW Chaos Warriors are quite nice models, but they're far too uniform and monopose for my liking. Also, I like the notion that Chaos is a broad church, open to anyone willing to trade their souls for power. I don't see why Dwarves, Orcs, Elves etc shouldn't gain the gifts of the Chaos Gods. In fact, I think Orcs could easily become servants of Khorne as their bloodlust increases, while Dark Elves could fall into Slaanesh worship.

So, I was thinking that when I created a unit of 16-18 Khornate warriors, I might use 2-3 Black Orcs, 2-3 Chaos Dwarves, some Bestigors and the like, to mix in with the human Chaos Warriors. These would be 'counts as' models, and the changed profiles would be accounted for by mutations.

Likewise, the Slaaneshi would use Bestigors and Dark Elves (possibly Dark Eldar with conversions). The models used would have to be heavily armoured in all cases, to indicate Chaos armour (hence Black Orcs and Bestigors, though some conversion would be required)

I would keep the non-human models to about a third of the unit, to add flavour rather than confuse. Painted in a similar style to the humans to tie them all together, I think they could look quite good. The only questions are, would this really work (has anyone done something similar?) and would you be happy to play such a unit?

Urgat
09-07-2012, 22:58
I don't know if it would really work, but I wouldn't have any problem with it, at least.

warboss6820
09-07-2012, 23:28
I dont see why you cant do this. Ogres dont really knowit when they worship chaos they do something, the gods smile on it and they mutate. I dont see why orcs cant do the same thing. Also there are chaos dwarfs and im pretty sure it mentions slannesh worshiping dark elves in the rule book. So I think its possible fluff wise. But i dont know if people would like you to be changing the profiles so i would just do it to look good and play them as normal chaos warriors. But what do I know I'm still a noob

Mati
09-07-2012, 23:46
Seems a little 'too chaotic' for me

Gandalf the Gay
09-07-2012, 23:53
Seems a little 'too chaotic' for me

Don't focus on whether Elvees, dwarves, orcs could also worship Chaos(they could, almost certainly) but ask yourself why they would join a mostly human warband of chaos worshippers?

Karak Norn Clansman
10-07-2012, 00:07
Try it. If it works out well, keep the elves, dwarfs and greenskins in the Chaos unit. If it turns out bad you can just leave the miniatures aside, use them for scenarios, band them together in a non-human unit or otherwise keep the elves, dwarfs and orcs aside from your main Chaos army.

DarKolia
10-07-2012, 04:26
I agree... There is no rule with Chaos... there is only ...CHAOS!

Flash Felix
10-07-2012, 11:11
Don't focus on whether Elvees, dwarves, orcs could also worship Chaos(they could, almost certainly) but ask yourself why they would join a mostly human warband of chaos worshippers?

I always thought that one of the truest paths to power was for a prospective champion to make their way to the Chaos Wastes; that was the message in the old school Warhammer books, such as Realms of Chaos: Slaves to Darkness. To my mind, those warbands would be 'equal opportunity employers', in that all that matters is dedication to their God and the ability to fight. So a warband would accept anyone who could hack their way in and keep a position, regardless of race. Alternately, the unit would be formed of multiple warbands, some of whom might be Orcs, Dwarves etc, linking up with the human warriors to fight for their God.

But i dont know if people would like you to be changing the profiles so i would just do it to look good and play them as normal chaos warriors. But what do I know I'm still a noob

The profiles wouldn't change, they are simply 'counts as' Chaos Warriors, painted in the same fashion and where possible given similar weapons. I would simply say that those M4 Dwarves and T4 Elves were mutants. And being a noob doesn't make your opinion worthless; thanks for giving me yours.

Try it. If it works out well, keep the elves, dwarfs and greenskins in the Chaos unit. If it turns out bad you can just leave the miniatures aside, use them for scenarios, band them together in a non-human unit or otherwise keep the elves, dwarfs and orcs aside from your main Chaos army.

These are the sorts of figures I have in mind (with some conversion of the Dark Eldar Incubi). I also intend to use a mix of GW, Avatars of War and possibly Gamezone Chaos Warrior figures, so the whole unit will look 'chaotic'. This might cross the line into 'messy' and 'godawful', but I think it's worth trying. And as you say, I can always replace them with human Warriors.

Ultimate Life Form
10-07-2012, 11:39
The reason why Dwarves can't be influenced by Chaos is because then they're Chaos Dwarves, an entirely different kettle of fish (and also a unique creation).

Orcs don't barter their souls for power because they already have it (no one's greener and meaner after all).

Dark Elves actually have strong ties with Chaos (esp Slaanesh) but they mutate only under extremely rare circumstances.

If the execution is really good though I wouldn't mind it as long as they're the respective base sizes of the models they're meant to represent. Actually I would love seeing a few Slaangors again.

Flash Felix
10-07-2012, 11:44
The reason why Dwarves can't be influenced by Chaos is because then they're Chaos Dwarves, an entirely different kettle of fish (and also a unique creation).

Orcs don't barter their souls for power because they already have it (no one's greener and meaner after all).

Dark Elves actually have strong ties with Chaos (esp Slaanesh) but they mutate only under extremely rare circumstances.

If the execution is really good though I wouldn't mind it as long as they're the respective base sizes of the models they're meant to represent. Actually I would love seeing a few Slaangors again.

All models would be on 25mm bases, as appropriate for Chaos Warriors. I said Dwarves, but of course they'd be Chaos Dwarves, most likely Khornate; the Orcs would also be in the Khorne unit.

Khorngors and Slaangors would be awesome to have, though the original models are outside my budget. I would like to scatter some amongst the Marauders, with a couple of armoured ones (Bestigor conversions) amidst the Warriors.

You are right in that it all comes down to the execution. It has the potential to be good, but an equal or greater potential to be a mess. I thought I'd see if anyone else has had the idea and done it already.

Ultimate Life Form
10-07-2012, 11:48
Well then it's easy; the Orcs could just as well be Chaos Dwarf slaves (a perfectly normal phenomenon) which doesn't in any way hamper their bloodlust.

Well I'd really love a 'Beasts of Chaos' splash (why did they have to destroy it :cries:), of course only in terms of paintjob, no one's forcing you to buy the old models.

Karak Norn Clansman
10-07-2012, 12:19
Then go for it! We already know that Chaos Dwarfs work well in Chaos Warrior units (I have no pictures to prove this, but take a look at these ones: http://www.titanwargames.com/shop/dwarves/royal-guard), and your choice for Greenskins and Elf miniatures might work very well. :)