PDA

View Full Version : Units: New and improved vs. old and busted.

RotatingPanda
09-07-2012, 23:04
A little while has passed and perhaps some ideas about 6th are formulating, percolating and sinking in so now, I pose something I've been thinking about a bit here and there. Which units do you think have benefited the most from the changes and which units do you think have suffered the most? I'll throw down some ideas first to get things going.

Big Money, Big Prizes, I Love It!
Nurgle Bikers: A sub-par codex for sure but T6 giving near immunity to Instant Death, Hammer of Wrath giving impact hits and the overall change to how power weapons work and we have a unit that's suddenly a lot harder to shift.
Sisters Repentia: Fearless, FnP, Fleet, Rage, 6++ with WS4, 2A and Eviscerators. Compared to what they were, that's pretty damn good.
Fire Warriors: The overall changes to rapid fire (the movement and the changing of 2 shots at 12" to 2 shots at half range) is a nice buff. Add in hull points and fire warriors look a lot better.
Death Company: Because rage is awesome now.
Anything with a 2+ save and no invulnerable: Not the biggest buff perhaps but people won't be as afraid to take them now.

How The Mighty Have Fallen
Genestealers: With an overall reduction in cover saves, no assaulting from outflanking, and rules like focus-fire, genestealers have certainly suffered.
All Walkers: The Hull Point system is just going to tear these guys apart. Add in the immobilized change allowing assaulting on the rear armour and I see no net gain for them.

Scaryscarymushroom
09-07-2012, 23:16
Not really related to individual units, but the distribution of Elites choices in the tyranids codex makes more sense now if you are going to be playing at 2k points or higher.

I suppose blast weapons will look less tempting because they can't take advantage of snapshot. It may not be much, but every little bit makes a difference. If blast weapons were priced fairly for 5th, they're overpriced now.

Also, IG hotshot lasguns got nerfed because they are a rapid fire weapon with an 18" range.
Also, Jetbikes (on average) can move 1" faster now than they could before.

Charistoph
09-07-2012, 23:31
I suppose blast weapons will look less tempting because they can't take advantage of snapshot. It may not be much, but every little bit makes a difference. If blast weapons were priced fairly for 5th, they're overpriced now.

This one is not a loss, really, just a non-buff. What does help them is that Blasts of all kind spank vehicles just as hard with edge of the plate as the center. Combine that with randomized weapon destroyed, and Vindicators start looking really attractive.