PDA

View Full Version : Ulric Themed Empire Army?

Bring_Back_Chaos_Dwarfs?
10-07-2012, 02:48
Ok, so I've been thinking about starting empire, specifically I've been wanting to build an Ulric themed army! I have looked at the old rules for this army and JEEZ, how would you go about making a list of this type viable for 8th? I do want to mostly keep to the fluff but I want to have some chance of winning. They rely on "warriors of ulric" as their ground soldiers (essentially the same as swordsmen - WS4 troops). They rely less on halberdiers and spearmen as those were special choices for them. I would use a lot of knights of the white wolf as core choices as well (that's kind of their thing). Teutogen Guard (i.e. great swords) would be one special unit I'd use. They are really light on options. They had "wolf kin" as a rare choice (which in fact was their ONLY rare choice). I thought of using the SW wolf cavalry mounts for some wolf riding monstrous cavalry (used as "demigryph" knights). Apart from skirmishing archers they have no ranged elements! Do you guys have any idea of how to make this work? Any fluff you know about them that would allow me to add something else to the list? :eyebrows:

mostlyharmless
10-07-2012, 05:09
You don't necessarily have to completely restrict yourself. Instead of focusing on using the options that were in the old Mild Summer Rain of Chaos, take a look at what an army from Middenland/Middenheim would have. First off, you'd have an Elector Count in the form of Graf Boris Todbringer. You can have warrior priests, even a war altar if you so desire, just replace the gryphon on top with a wolf. An army from Middenland/Middenheim would have access to just about anything any other Empire Army would have, including all that fun artillery. In fact, the Helstrom Rocket Battery got its name when it nearly hit Todbringer, and he got a tad upset. To that effect, I would avoid black powder beyond artillery and pistoliers. Stick to archers and crossbows for your missile infantry, and make sure you include huntsmen with that new archer hero, cause he's from Middenland.

Just remember, that Middenland/Middenheim is still in the realm of the Empire and you can justify including anything from the army book. In fact, I was thinking of doing the same thing with thunderwolves as demigryphs, but then I changed gears and did something completely different.

Bring_Back_Chaos_Dwarfs?
10-07-2012, 05:33
Thanks man! yeah I came to the conclusion that I simply cannot be so strict with the list and it's good to about the Helstrom Rocket Battery! I plan on taking a bit of Crossbowmen now and trying to figure out how to convert / make a cool looking wolf alter. Sweeeet!

mostlyharmless
10-07-2012, 06:08
Glad to hear it. I look forward to seeing some pictures.

Tuttivillus
10-07-2012, 13:31
I was thinking about making an Ulrician list and I ended up with a conclusion that the best rule base to fit the fluff is represented by WoC Armybook. There You'll find strong combat oriented troops as middenlanders are supposed to be. You can include all human troops(White wolf knights=choas knights, marauders being middenland state troops, chaos warriors = teutogen guard) plus wolfpacks, ogres (they are in Imperial fluff as mercenaries) and even trolls represented by werewolf models. Marks can be explained as blessings of Old World gods. Scratch build some Ulrician warshrine, use core book magic lores, You can even go with hell cannon using bitz of ironblaster with normal dwarf crew on screaming bell chassie and You are set. :D Oh, and lord on thunderwolf as jaggernaut is essential IMO. I was really into this project but I'm short on money now, so grab it if You like it. ;)

AlphariusOmegon20
10-07-2012, 17:18
First off, I'd suggest getting the Empire Heraldry book. A lot of things have changed since Storm of Chaos.

Todbringer's Own is a well known Halberdier unit. The Grimmhagen Swordsmen and The Swords of Ulric are but two known swordsmen units. The Von Strumpet Regiment is known for it's inspirational captain (I'd assume it's a spear unit. The book never says.) In addition, there's shields and banners with various names on them, such as the banner on pg. 22with the name "Von Kotzbue" on it, the two banners on pg. 24 with "Helstein" and "Jagerhausen" on them.

Furthermore, the book shows an drawn example of every infantry unit in Middenheim colors, except Greatswords ( Teutogen Guard would take their place in your list, and would have a similar look to mounted White Wolves.). There's examples of White Wolves and Knights Panther later in the book, along with Pistoliers and Middenheim's Steam Tank. There's even a Cult of Ulric Warrior Priest in the book.

Second, you have modeling opportunities galore. In the recent Empire army book, it mentions in passing in the Demigryph Knight entry a unit called the Winter Wolves of Middenheim. I'd assume this is a unit of VERY LARGE wolves being ridden by Knights of the White Wolf. This could be built using 40K Thunderwolves with Knights of the White Wolf riders. Free Company could be represented by using multiples of the old Mordheim Middenheimer models ( There were like 6 different ones in past years, now we only have one.) Teutogen Guard are your greatswords, The Popemobile gets a wolfy makeover. Even the Luminark can get into the act, thanks to the Lore of Beast spell Amber Spear, which does the same thing as the Luminark's power. The possibilities are endless.

So you have options, Start there.

Bring_Back_Chaos_Dwarfs?
10-07-2012, 19:13
Thanks again guys! I (obviously) am not terribly familiar with empire fluff. I will definitely check out the empire heraldry book. Thank you for all the great ideas and information. I can always look at the books, but I come here to get information that is invaluable. Cheers.

mostlyharmless
11-07-2012, 02:27
Unfortunately, the Teutogen Guard are hard as hell to find, and when you do find them, expensive as hell. I count myself lucky to have 25 with full command, which was a solid unit back in the day. I wish you luck in finding them, sir.

AlphariusOmegon20
11-07-2012, 03:43
Lol if you're patient, you can slowly build up the unit like I did so you don't feel the price as much.

I've got a 50 block of them :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheDungen
11-07-2012, 05:44
otherwise greatswords kitbashed with knights of the white wolf

logan054
11-07-2012, 13:31
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat500025a&prodId=prod1140042

These might be your best best for getting them and then converting the pikes into hammers

Oogie boogie boss
11-07-2012, 14:00
If you're going to do that, then you might want to consider using these guys and painting the pelts like wolves/bears, and again converting the pikes to hammers.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat500025a&prodId=prod1140046

Bring_Back_Chaos_Dwarfs?
11-07-2012, 16:39
Interesting, I've thought of using those miniatures in the army (because they are awwesome! and molding/ painting wolf pelts on them is a terrific idea) for regular core. Never thought to convert them for tuetogen guard. I do really like the Teutogen Guard, and I am in the process of (maybe) securing some. So we'll see. But you guys do bring up a good point, which is how to model/ convert the core units for this type of army? The leopard company kind of brought about an "oh yeah" moment in my mind. Excellent possibility (those models are pretty pricey; this project is going to go very slowly). I also thought of using men at arms and converting them to have marauder cavalry heads and heads from the flagellants regiment along with swords to be the swords of ulric. They would be a bit off though. We will see. Again, thank you!

logan054
11-07-2012, 20:16
If you're going to do that, then you might want to consider using these guys and painting the pelts like wolves/bears, and again converting the pikes to hammers.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat500025a&prodId=prod1140046

I personally wouldn't use them, they should be in full plate mail, knights panther infantry maybe...

RugbySkin
12-07-2012, 13:45
For the hammers, whacky idea, but might want to latch onto a good 40k friend who plays Grey Knights and see about snatching his Nemesis Demon Hammers. Just chop off the wire and the "Power Source" and grind down the termie hand (Cause the non termie hammers have 2 hands on them) and viola.