PDA

View Full Version : [1500] Mortal Khorne HoC Army

Cassiel
05-05-2006, 03:00
Alright, after doing some thinking and revising my previous Slaanesh list enough times, I've decided to scrap that and go with Khorne, but those of you who helped me, thank you very much for the suggestions you gave me and I hope that I may benefit from your advice as well as that of others again! ^_^

Alright, so my Mortal Khorne army!

***Heroes: 229

Exalted Champion of Chaos (Will ride with knights, so I donít need to give him Mark of Khrone so long as the regiment with him has it, right?)
-Sword of Battle
-Additional hand weapon
-Barded Chaos Steed

Aspiring Champion of Chaos (Wonít need MoK, right? Heíll be with the warriors.)
-Additional hand weapon
-Armor of damnation

***Cavalry: 265

1 unit of Knights of Khorne (5 Champion, Musician, War Banner)
-Exalted Champ rides with them

***Daemons: 315

1 unit of Chaos Furies (8 in unit)

1 unit of Bloodletters of Khorne (10 with full command)

***Mortal: 686

1 unit of Warriors of Khorne (15 with full command and shields)
-Aspiring Champ marches with them

2 units of Marauders of Chaos (24 per unit with full command, shields, and light armor)

*****Total: 1495

((Oops! Accidentally left it as "Beasts of Chaos" - sorry!))

Kharnath
05-05-2006, 08:20
Alright, after doing some thinking and revising my previous Slaanesh list enough times, I've decided to scrap that and go with Khorne,

good choice, make sure you leave your whips and tassels outside of khornes temple thou please, after last time one of you turned from the dark prince ;)

***Heroes: 229

Exalted Champion of Chaos (Will ride with knights, so I don’t need to give him Mark of Khrone so long as the regiment with him has it, right?)
-Sword of Battle
-Additional hand weapon
-Barded Chaos Steed

he needs to have the mark if he joins a khorne marked unit. other wise i think your thinking that he has 6 attacks right? remember that magical weapons dont give you the +1 for 2 hand weapons so you may as well take a shield in stead. also as hes mounted he still wouldnt get the bonus attack either. give him some protection as well, armour of damnation or gaze its down to personal preference, and id surgest the sword of might or if you want to go crazy a great weapon or halberd.

Aspiring Champion of Chaos (Won’t need MoK, right? He’ll be with the warriors.)
-Additional hand weapon
-Armor of damnation

hell need the mark if they have the mark. thats a simple,cheap and good at killing basics guys hero, however its always worth upgrading to exalted as you get alot for that extra 20 points, also consider your equipment choices magic weapons are your friend. or strength boosting ones. you dont want to come across the green knight after all, or any etheral, and be gimped.

***Cavalry: 265
1 unit of Knights of Khorne (5 Champion, Musician, War Banner)

lovely, real killers. remember to screen them thou or they wont see combat

***Daemons: 315

nice mage and war machine hunters and also good for flanks and rear charges

1 unit of Bloodletters of Khorne (10 with full command)

10 isnt going to do much at all unfortunatly. 16 minimum id say

***Mortal: 686
1 unit of Warriors of Khorne (15 with full command and shields)

good to see someone taking a nice block of warriors nice unit. will do well with correct placement and use, must be screened.

2 units of Marauders of Chaos (24 per unit with full command, shields, and light armor)

good blocks of CR although a little plain.
*****Total: 1495

your going to suffer with frenzy big time. you need hounds and screens as khorne.
personally id drop one full unit or marauders (193 points i think) and the sword of battle to a sword of might. to pay for
your character marks : 70
6 more bloodletters : 96
unit of 6 hounds : 36

although now u know u need hounds and marks u may wish to re work the list.

nice first try thou :-) if you put another up ill be happy to look over it too.

Pravus
05-05-2006, 09:09
Your points calculations are a bit off - the total for the chaos warriors and marauders as you describe is 986 not 686. As Kharnath already pointed out, some of the equipment options and battlefield placement of your heros cannot be done. If you correct the errors and leave the rest of the units in place with no further modification you've actually got an army that would cost you nearer to 1700 points than 1500.

If I were you I'd keep the marauders and lose the Bloodletters. Whilst they're more reliable than other daemonic units (the command options help a lot) they're still toughness 3 with a 6+ armour save - they are lovely models though. Boosting them to a US of 16 would mean having to lose something else as well as a single unit of marauders to fit them into 1500 points.

Kharnath
05-05-2006, 09:29
doh didnt add them up myself i trusted his lol.

der_lex
05-05-2006, 10:51
I never add up points. I'm too lazy to count. Good thing I have Army Builder, really. And yes, it is expressly mentioned in the Hordes of Chaos book that a character must have the same Mark as the unit he joins.
It's quite logical really. Imagine what it would be like if your undivided champ wanted to join a unit of Khornates:

Khornate 1: "BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!"
Khornate 2: "SKULLS FOR THE BLOOD GOD!"
Khornate 3: (sound of someone gnawing on his shield, or possibly someone else's shield or appendage)
Khornate 4: "CUTLERY!" (maniacal laughter)

Undivided Champion: "Hello there, lads. I'm hear to lead you off to war and bloodshed and whatnot. Shall we be off, then?"

Khornate 1: "Wait a minute! This guy is carrying a sword! Where's his axe?"
Khornate 2: "Yes, and why doesn't he wear pretty red armor like we do?"
Khornate 3: (sound of someone gnawing on his shield, or possibly someone else's shield or appendage)

Undivided Champion: "Well chaps, that's because I serve Chaos in it's pure, indiluted form. I love all the gods equally, whether it's the mighty Khorne..."

Khornate 1: "BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!"
Khornate 2: "SKULLS FOR THE BLOOD GOD!"

Undivided Champion: "Father Nurgle..."

Khornate 1: "He's not too bad. A bit smelly though..."
Khornate 2: (grumbles) "He's no Blood God though..."

Undivided Champion: "The unfathomable Tzeentch..."

Khornate 1: "Now hang on a minute..."
Khornate 2: "But his guys are blue! We hate blue!"
Khornate 3: (sound of someone gnawing slightly more rapidly on his shield, or possibly someone else's shield or appendage)

Undivided Champion: "Or the glorious Slaanesh. I love them all!"

Khornate 1: "WHAT?"
Khornate 2: "WHAT?"
Khornate 3: (sound of someone biting through his shield, or possibly someone else's shield or appendage)
Khornate 4: "CUTLERY?" (insecure giggle)

(awkward moment of Khornates staring at each other and then eyeing up the Undivided Champion)

(Khornates close in on the Undivided Champion, axes raised)

Undivided Champion: "Now lads, what are you... O, god, that's my spleen! MY SPLEEN! YOU BASTARDS! Oh, the pain, and the hurt, and the maiming and the ojjj...."

(loud shrieks turn into silence, and the Khornates march off to war alone)

See? It all makes perfect sense.

*Ahem*

As for actual tactics... I'd give the champs the MoK, and halberds. try to bump up the aspiring to exalted as well. Furthermore I'd drop four marauders per unit (20 marauders will get the job done, trust me) and, with a tear in your eye, the Bloodletters (10 is too few to be useful, and it'll be too expensive to get more of them). Use the points to get two units of hounds, maybe some Marauder horse and/or a Spawn, and maybe halberds for your CW's. If you have points left, consider giving your general the Gaze of the Gods...

Cassiel
05-05-2006, 11:24
OMG der_lex, you had me in tears there, hahahah! You are a riot! I'm copying that and saving it in word to show to some of my friends - lol.

Anyways, heh, alright, I wasn't sure what size Bloodletter units were effective and thought 10 would be alright, but if that's not the case then c'est la vie. I'll do some re-working with the list and post an updated one sometime this afternoon when I'm free, thanks everyone for the help! :)

Kharnath
05-05-2006, 12:38
i love the Khornate 3 and 4 speaches lol

be sure to post another list for us to look at its quite a change between gods especially when it involves picking up frenzy.

and never leave hoem with khornes most lethal killers...........

no not a blood thirster................

no not even that chosen gorup of warriors with 2 hand weapons and a BSB with the beast banner

and no not bloodletters.....

but hounds, the real back bone fo the khorne armies

Neknoh
05-05-2006, 13:16
There are some things you must consider, first of all, your Undivided champion will not get the bonus of the additional handweapon, nor will he be able to ride with the Knights of Khorne.
Also, the Sword of Battle is a bit unnecesary on him once he gets the Mark of Khorne, I would rather give him the Sword of Striking, instead of statistically hitting with 4 of those 6 attacks, he now hits with 5 of them when attacking basic troops and a plethora of hero-level characters.

Your Aspiring Champion would be much better off either with the Mark of Khorne or the upgrade to Exalted Champion (preferably both), if you then gave him a Hallberd or Additional Handweapon, he would pretty much rock any infantryunit sent aggainst him and his marauder buddies.
Of course, a magical weapon would be nice, but, there are VERY few etherals that will stand up to a fully ranked unit for long.
Or, if you are sending him with your Warriors (in which case he most deffinately needs the mark), he would probably be better off with a Greatweapon, seeing as there wouldn't really be a risk of the enemy getting anything into btb with him for long enough to strike before him.

Your unit of Knights of Khorne does NOT need a Warbanner when joined by an Exalted of Khorne wielding the Sword of Striking, they cannot even carry a warbanner without including a Standard Bearer by the way... something you should consider for that unit unless you want to go for a chance and hope that those 17 strength 5 attacks will give you enough CR to win combat with.

Your daemons are all fine, however, if you discover you need points, perhaps the Bloodletters would be the things to drop unless you want to get rid of some Marauders, just remember to deploy your Bloodletters 5 wide on a flank-area, that way, they will get to the weaker parts of the enemy, where they bring out REAL hurt.

In a 4 by 4 formation (joined by the Aspiring then), these dudes will do well with shields, however, unless the Aspiring joins them in order to help out the Marauders, my suggestion to you would be to deploy these in a 5 by 3 formation and give them additional handweapons or hallberds if you are expecting to butcher infantry with these blokes, for wounding on a 2+ can be very nice, as can dishing out another 5 strength 4 attacks (with a frontage of 5, you will either have 16 strength 4 attacks or 11 strength 5, both of which will be excelent when it commes to slaughtering Rank and File).
Besides, if you give the Aspiring to the Marauders, and you have dropped the Warbanner off the Knights, might I suggest putting the Warbanner on these dudes? +1 CR has never hurt anyone except the enemy.

Your Marauders look nice, however, I think 1 unit would work well as an anchor when joined by the Aspiring, the otherone could be cut down to a 16-man unit with flails in order to do kamikaze charges at enemy units to bring down their numbers. Then use the points saved up for the suggested upgrades (perhaps even drop the entire second unit so that you can afford some Hounds as well).

Blood and iron!

Cassiel
06-05-2006, 01:16
Alright, after looking over all the advice presented here, I've come up with this:

***Heroes: 350

Exalted Champion of Khorne (Will ride with knights.)
-Sword of Striking
-Barded Chaos Steed

Exalted Champion of Khorne (Will march with warriors.)
-Additional hand weapon
-Armor of damnation

***Cavalry: 260

1 unit of Knights of Khorne (5 with Full Command)

***Daemons: 120

***Mortal: 770

1 unit of Warriors of Khorne (15 with full command and additional hand weapons)

1 unit of Marauders of Chaos (24 in unit with full command, shields, light armor, and the War Banner.)

2 units of Marauders of Chaos (16 per unit with musicians, standard bearers, and flails)

*****Total: 1500

Neknoh
06-05-2006, 12:22
Looks fairly nice, use your Furies to screen the army for the first round and you should be set.

I would also consider dropping the standards from the two kamikaze marauders (unless you think 100 vp's isn't such a big deal).

Nils-Ake
06-05-2006, 13:32
Maruaders can not take a magic baner. Use the points to uppgrade you aspering to exalted. 1+Ws,I and A is worth it for only 20p. I think that a GW is better for the exalted on horse, because he will win the combat with the knights with out a 2+ to hit. It's better to have S7 if it's chariots around, same thing for the Aspering, makes the infantery god vs cav. 4-5 S7 hurts.

Neknoh
06-05-2006, 15:36
Chariots will still get munched to bits by the Knights, not to mention the fact that with +1 to hit, he will hit even Blood Dragon Lords on a 3+, and he gets magical attacks.... not to mention the rumour that it will be impossible for mounted characters to wield greatweapons in 7th edition. And he would also loose the Initiative of the Exalted if the unit would end up in a protracted combat aggainst a tarpit unit or something like a Giant which still have a possible massive damage output even when wounded. Strength 5 is enough when slaughtering Rank and File, strength 7 is overkill by far

Although, I did not notice that the Marauders had a magical banner

Nils-Ake
06-05-2006, 17:52
This not 7:ed now is it? S7 is good vs Cav. with hige armour save 6+ is far worse than 4+ and vs giants you want to wound on 2+ not on 4+ and the knight will handle the S6 hits. And Ws7 protect the hero pretty well with 2+ in armour save.

How often do you play with khorne armies?

Furies can handle etherals with out problem. So you dont need magical attacks for?

Cassiel
06-05-2006, 17:59
Alright, the newest revision after taking out the War Banner and the Standards for the Marauders with flails:

***Heroes: 350

Exalted Champion of Khornes (Will ride with knights.)
-Sword of Striking
-Barded Chaos Steed

Exalted Champion of Khorne (Will march with warriors.)
-Additional hand weapon
-Armor of damnation

***Cavalry: 260

1 unit of Knights of Khorne (5 with Full Command)

***Daemons: 120

***Mortal: 773

1 unit of Warriors of Khorne (15 with full command and additional hand weapons)
-Exalted Champ marches with them

1 unit of Marauders of Chaos (24 in unit with full command, light armor, and shields)

2 units of Marauders of Chaos (20 per unit with musicians and flails)

*****Total: 1503

Neknoh
06-05-2006, 18:09
Nils Ňke, I use combinations of the Dark Four frequently, and once those Knights of Khorne gets lured into combat by some lucky spell placing that Spirit Host in front of them, that magical weapon starts looking damn nice.

Greatweapons are overestimated, you loose your high initiative, meaning that once you run into a character that survives the first round, you will be in deep trouble. Also note that to hit on a 2+ renders more wounds than extra strength when fighting opposing cavalry, and the more armoursaves they have to take, the more they will fail, isn't that the principle used by Skinks when blowpiping Chosen Knights instead of sending their Kroxigors straight at them?

Strength is sufficient for dealing with almost any characters and all rank and file troops barring Ironbreakers, especially if hitting on a 2+, remember what you said yourself, you pay 20 points for +1 weaponskill, attack and Initiative, however, you just negated the Initiative and made him another 4 points more expensive as well as utterly useless aggainst etherals.

And yes, Furies can handle etherals, however, Furies are better off chasing after the wizards of the enemy army, for even one wizard less will spell the doom of the enemy magicphase when you are using Khorne. Also, there are armies out there which hire Dogs of War warmachines, aggainst which you also would like to employ Furies.

Also, as I said, if you have a Greatweapon, you cannot go toe to toe with enemy lords as easy, however, with the Sword of Striking, you suddenly hit them on a 3+, not to mention the fact that opposing Daemons and Forrest Spirits will get a harder life when facing the unit of Khornate knights. You will also be able to cancel out other special wardsaves granted by items and spells.

So, pros for a Greatweapon:

Lowers enemy armour
Gives chariotbusting

Pros for Sword of Striking

Hits more troops
Cancells the effects of -1 to hit spells and items such as the Cursed Book of Arkhan
Allows the hero to hit WS6- troops on a 2+ and allows him to hit enemy Lords on a 3+
Negates varius wardsaves
Ensures the unit cannot be stuck with a unit of Etherals (5 wounds on one Spirithost+banner=one more crumbled base).

Cons of Greatweapon

Strikes last
Not magical
Everyone and their grandmother uses one

Cons of Sword of Striking

Costs 30 points
Doesn't highten the models strength above 5

So... I'd much prefer the Sword of Striking.

Neknoh
06-05-2006, 18:10
As for the new army, I like it, although, I would keep the kamikaze troops at 16 and invest in a unit of Marauder Horsemen with Flails and Musician if the points would allow it, this would give you not only the Furies to deal with enemy nuiscance units, but it would also give you a screen, a baiter and a flanker.

Cassiel
06-05-2006, 18:32
Neknoh, that's what I wanted to do, but the loss of the standards and the War Banner freed only 45 points, and so I went with this option instead. :(