PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone heard about new 40K Imperial structures

_Chimaera
10-07-2012, 18:51
Scenery has obviously become a lot more important on the 40K battlefield.

I was just wondering has anyone heard about any new Imperial Structures?

I browse the rumour threads regularly and couldn't see anything although I don't read every thread intensively. Apologies in advance if I did miss anything and if I have posted this on the wrong forum.

Sqallum
10-07-2012, 19:14
I am afraid I have not seen any...yet. You could check it out with the Rumour People.
Sorry for no solid information :(

_Chimaera
10-07-2012, 19:19
Thanks for the response sqallum.

I am hoping some good stuff is on the way. No just Imperial but for everyone really.

I didn't want to post this is the rumours section in case I get jumped on for providing no rumour in my post. Hopefully harry, stickmonkey and the like frequent here also and may notice this post.

battybattybats
11-07-2012, 18:42
With Forgeworld no longer making their Tyranid terrain and with the Tyranid FAQ laying the boot in that extra time with us not getting to fire some structure weaponry it really would be a good idea for GW to make some plastic tyranid terrain. After all it's a force that quite specifically changes the terrain of any planet they are on.

One thing i'd like GW to do is extra simple.. make a base for the jungle trees similar to the woods. The look of the woods is more fantasy suiting for my taste and i've painted up jungle trees in my hive fleets colours to represent the alien nature of the tyranniforming foliage and that it's easier for the tyranids to make their jungles camoflage their troops than to customise the troops to each worlds colourations.

Eldar don't often fight on 'home turf' but a webway portal piece wouldn't go astray. Tau get attacked plenty so some Tau terrain especially some fortifications would i'm sure sell well. I'm sure a few xenos terrain pieces would be a very good idea for GW to run with.

Jofus
11-07-2012, 18:49
My guess would either be that new terrain kits will come out in December, think this has been a common time to release terrain. Or as codices get updated to 6th they will introduce fortifications specific to that codex with new rules and models.

_Chimaera
12-07-2012, 00:45
My guess would either be that new terrain kits will come out in December, think this has been a common time to release terrain. Or as codices get updated to 6th they will introduce fortifications specific to that codex with new rules and models.

I have seen a few people quote terrain in the rumours section for the end of this year but none have really elaborated. Someone out there must have a handle on it :)

@battybattybats
Different trees and a Webway portal would be cool especially the portal.

I have to admit. I would love to see them redo the Imperial stuff. The current offerings are quite cool but also a little bit inefficient & they don't seem to have any joined up thinking between them unless you are going to seriously kitbash them, which is very costly and time consuming.

I would love to see a more modular approach with more uniformity when approaching a base/fortress. At the moment the Fort of Redemption, Bastion & Skyshield are all a bit of a mish mash. It would be great if in their design they had some similarity, modular and connectability in built and with the various walkways/spares to enable this in the kits.

I guess what I am trying to suggest is GW design a generic Imperial fortress (no specific chapter unit markings) and sell it in modular sets which on there own can be used to intergrate into the battlefield/scenery or, can be put together to make a fortress expandable only by the limits of how big/high you want to make it. For example they could redesign/sell a Bastion that could stand alone or be integrated into the Fortress design to provide higher levels. Then they could have another module that included a section of defence wall but maybe had a little comm's building that could stand alone or attach to the wall for when making a firebase (smaller) going up to a bigger fortress design. Another module could be a different shape/style of the wall but this has a corner piece where you could mount weaponary, a bit like the Fort of Redemption. Then another module with a landing pad that included walkways etc to allow connection to other modules. They would also need to produce a module that had a gate. This would allow vehicles to pass in or out. Give all the module a similar aesthetic so when joined up they look like they are meant to be.

I hope you can see what I am getting at, like it or not? I think it would be a great addition although I could understand that players of non Imperial armies could see this as a bit of a one sided allocation of resources to the Imperium players. I do think it would be really cool though.

Col. von Dryden
12-07-2012, 01:23
I'd love it to be like that....

_Chimaera
12-07-2012, 01:28
One other person in the world likes the idea so I am happy now. To the rest be damned :)

The other great thing about a modular design is they could add to it down the road so if they wanted to produce another module e.g. a different shaped bit of wall + a barracks building maybe? Maybe it could also have a lift off top half so you could have a bit in building fighting. Yeah I know I am pushing the envelope now.

Beppo1234
12-07-2012, 02:10
I have to admit. I would love to see them redo the Imperial stuff. The current offerings are quite cool but also a little bit inefficient & they don't seem to have any joined up thinking between them unless you are going to seriously kitbash them, which is very costly and time consuming.

The skyshield, bastion, and defence line together match up pretty well. With those three kits, there are lots of possible builds to make distinct terrain and fortifications. They're fine.

The Fortress of Redemption is also a good model, but what it really needs is a smaller kit that includes only one of the lower bunker sections and an adjoining bridge piece which matches and is compatible with the gantries on the FOR. This would allow for a lot more variability with the FOR, as well as a cheaper approach to Marine fortifications, and it's expandable. Change the iconography so it's more generic which is fully possible as most of the details on the bunker sections are separate detail plates, and it's a win. I made this out of two fortresses, and I think it is exactly the kit that needs to be made:

145074 145075

barret4thewin
12-07-2012, 02:27
I am sure I saw mention in the rulebook that new fortifications rules will be released in white dwarf.

Clarkson
12-07-2012, 03:22
the "newest" release is the barbed wire... that they already sold. but now in stores and not just the website

MajorWesJanson
12-07-2012, 06:22
The skyshield, bastion, and defence line together match up pretty well. With those three kits, there are lots of possible builds to make distinct terrain and fortifications. They're fine.

The Fortress of Redemption is also a good model, but what it really needs is a smaller kit that includes only one of the lower bunker sections and an adjoining bridge piece which matches and is compatible with the gantries on the FOR. This would allow for a lot more variability with the FOR, as well as a cheaper approach to Marine fortifications, and it's expandable. Change the iconography so it's more generic which is fully possible as most of the details on the bunker sections are separate detail plates, and it's a win. I made this out of two fortresses, and I think it is exactly the kit that needs to be made:

145074 145075

I am trying to do the same, buying parts from online. The top pieces and laser canon are quite hard to find though.

A space marine version, with more generic decorative panels, a door/access point in one wall, and options for a quad gun or icarus lascanon would likely sell well. It would require new sprues, but little in the way of new design.

Beppo1234
12-07-2012, 09:18
double post, kind of... my post didn't show up, so I wrote a better one, then this one magically reappeared.

Beppo1234
12-07-2012, 09:29
I am trying to do the same, buying parts from online. The top pieces and laser canon are quite hard to find though.

A space marine version, with more generic decorative panels, a door/access point in one wall, and options for a quad gun or icarus lascanon would likely sell well. It would require new sprues, but little in the way of new design.

it's a great kit, but it's just too big, and not a lot of thought was put in at the design stage for variability. At it's simplest, it would require only a recut of the current sprue, and a new additional sprue for an interbunker bridge, and as you mentioned, a door on a full sized panel (rather than one cut in half (so f'n stupid), and some new detail panels for the buttress', or make those reversible like the air hockey puck that covers the missile launcher). The weapon options already available in the kit are enough: between the lasCANON, the heavy bolters and the infloor missile launcher, that's lots of guns.

as for the complete model, I'm a DA player, and even I'm not a fan of the tower... but the non-eagle walls of the Eagle Building are a perfect substitute for the tower section, and fit almost perfectly on the base block that locks into the lower sections of the FOR. That also means you can substitute city of death pieces to fill in as well.

Wes: if you can wait 6 months to a year, I have an extra turret and canon in my bits box back home.

_Chimaera
12-07-2012, 11:50
@Bepo1234 - Many thanks for posting those pictures. They are definitely in the vein of what I am talking about. Wouldn't it be nice if GW produce a radar piece? Seems one of the more obvious bits to produce for Sci-Fi scenery.

Imagine exending those battlements, having a little redoubt in each corner and having a vehicle gate and you have a pretty solid start to an awesome firebase. Add those modular barracks, comm's centre etc, a similarly styled Bastion, gangways that allow you to connect a similarly styled Skyshield and now you have a pretty awesome fortress set up.

They could make the whole thing very generic and then even produce themed icongraphy for various Chapters/Regimments to allow you to theme it to your army choice.

I am also a bit of a FoR hater, hence I haven't bought one for various reasons. These being the overall DA aesthetic, inflexibility, non modular & cost for something that I will discard a third of.

On the posiitve side I do like the general height of the battlements, their sloped design & the Weapons included. Now only if they would lose those fantasy skulls and replace the DA themed tower and give options to the DA iconography.

I really like the fact GW have introduced scenery. Now they just need to get with the program.

So true and would probably be the quicker fix. They could also just lose the Angels tower and add a very simple extra square level (or two) similar to the bastion and the transformations to generic base is complete. It would be nice if the kept the silos option and for FS lose the skulls GW. Nice for Fantasy but crap in Sci-Fi

Beppo1234
12-07-2012, 12:13
Like I said, I've screwed around the FOR, 2 of them. Buy Eagle building, it's 'window' walls make a perfect tower that is about the same height as the DA tower, and it fits perfectly on the box that the DA tower sits on. I've made two towers in that way, and they look great. Have that Gothic feel to it. One of them is in my plog in the imperial project logs forum.

But I agree, to a point. I disagree about creating a whole line based on the FOR aesthetic. All it needs is individual bunker kit, and it's a win.

Kakapo42
12-07-2012, 12:25
As great as any new terrain pieces are, I for one am rather against the idea of more Imperial themed structures. Between the current GW models and the various Forgeworld terrain products, there are plenty of structures and fortifications for Imperial forces to use, most of them working in combination with each other. Once there are plastic kits for Tau colony structures and area-denial nodes, Eldar webway portals and Tyranid spore chimneys and capliliary towers, then they can release some more Imperial themed terrain.

_Chimaera
12-07-2012, 12:47
Like I said, I've screwed around the FOR, 2 of them. Buy Eagle building, it's 'window' walls make a perfect tower that is about the same height as the DA tower, and it fits perfectly on the box that the DA tower sits on. I've made two towers in that way, and they look great. Have that Gothic feel to it. One of them is in my plog in the imperial project logs forum.

But I agree, to a point. I disagree about creating a whole line based on the FOR aesthetic. All it needs is individual bunker kit, and it's a win.

The only problem with using the Shrine of Aquilla set is A. you would need to buy two of them at 25 each & B. those windows sections aren't fortified i.e. you wouldn't have those massive windows on a fortress tower.

It's not so much about using the FoR aesthetic as some of it's aesthtic is good and could be used in a newer design.

At this point you have to spend a lot of cash to kit bash something better than what is currently on offer. I am not saying GW must follow what I would like but they must start thinking about how they can support scenery a bit better. A solid start would be selling walkways, skyshield pedistles and even the skyshield walls as seperates as these are some key join up bits which can go for fleecing prices on E-bay. Basically GW need to think how they can support scenery better for all even though my POV is just an Imperial one.

As great as any new terrain pieces are, I for one am rather against the idea of more Imperial themed structures. Between the current GW models and the various Forgeworld terrain products, there are plenty of structures and fortifications for Imperial forces to use, most of them working in combination with each other. Once there are plastic kits for Tau colony structures and area-denial nodes, Eldar webway portals and Tyranid spore chimneys and capliliary towers, then they can release some more Imperial themed terrain.

I am all for other races getting better and more scenery as well but the hard fact is a new well thought out line of Imperial scenery would generate cash quicker for GW than any other and would hopefully more quickly kickstart bigger & better scenery for other races.

Beppo1234
12-07-2012, 12:52
not to mention, imperial scenery services a majority of the armies available in 40k, while xenos scenery only services individual armies, with maybe the exception of eldar and dark eldar, where a dual kit could in theory serve both armies if thought out properly.

and Ork's don't need scenery...

MajorWesJanson
12-07-2012, 13:55
not to mention, imperial scenery services a majority of the armies available in 40k, while xenos scenery only services individual armies, with maybe the exception of eldar and dark eldar, where a dual kit could in theory serve both armies if thought out properly.

and Ork's don't need scenery...

Orks could really use scenery, and have gotten some already- Ork Barricades. Not much, but something. An Ork CoD compatible kit would be perfect. A single kit with orky walls, floors, and debris that can either be built as is, or mixed with Imperial CoD parts to make looted buildings.

@Beppo. I'm in no hurry. If you remember, I should still be interested.

Beppo1234
12-07-2012, 15:05
Orks could really use scenery, and have gotten some already- Ork Barricades. Not much, but something. An Ork CoD compatible kit would be perfect. A single kit with orky walls, floors, and debris that can either be built as is, or mixed with Imperial CoD parts to make looted buildings.

@Beppo. I'm in no hurry. If you remember, I should still be interested.

It's yours when I get home. Earliest is february if and only if I don't find another job out here. You could have it now, if I trusted my parents to go through the bits box and locate all the bits, but you know that's never gonna work out well.

Orks could use a COD kit, but it's not fully necessary... Ork scenery is by far the easiest to slap together from multiple bits from any scenery line and a little bit of ingenuity.

battybattybats
12-07-2012, 18:58
Actually Xenos terrain is for imperial players too.

Because Imperial players can enjoy battling on alien worlds, conquering alien worlds, fighting through the ruins of conquered alien worlds.
So a marine player might want some ruined tau terrain on their table or weird alien trees etc.

_Chimaera
14-07-2012, 15:01
Actually Xenos terrain is for imperial players too.

Because Imperial players can enjoy battling on alien worlds, conquering alien worlds, fighting through the ruins of conquered alien worlds.
So a marine player might want some ruined tau terrain on their table or weird alien trees etc.

True but if GW where going to revamp/overhaul the structures available. Imperial buildings would bring the money in quickest allowing them to expand the Xeno range faster in the long run. Persoanlly I think the FoR is a big missed opportunity for GW in many ways. It's the thing they could proabably change the most easily with the biggest impact.

Orks could use a COD kit, but it's not fully necessary... Ork scenery is by far the easiest to slap together from multiple bits from any scenery line and a little bit of ingenuity.

Your right but I think they would benefit from some sort of Ork Boyz hut/redoubt or something. Apart from giving them a neat kit. It would also give plenty of bits to mod other buildings if they done it right i.e. plenty of medium sized symbols etc..

LonelyPath
14-07-2012, 17:47
the "newest" release is the barbed wire... that they already sold. but now in stores and not just the website

I picked some of that up from a GW store only 2 months ago.

Clarkson
14-07-2012, 19:18
I picked some of that up from a GW store only 2 months ago.

about 4years ago they was taken out of stores and stuck on the website... except that stores still had their stockpile.. so you probably just bought the stuff that hadnt sold..