PDA

View Full Version : Why is there a Rumours section.

AM1640
11-07-2012, 16:07
Hi I am wondering why there is a rumours section on the forum? Reading it for any army is basically the same, sometime in the future a new models or models will be released. There will also be a change to the army book that will occur and it will change how to make that army. Oh the mystery. Come on, isn't there someone somewhere who actually binds the books or works in the factory making the miniatures that can just tells everyone, this book is schedualed for release on this date or these new minaitures will be released on this date. Or better yet why doesn't GW just give out a memo that says this year we are releasing this and this. Done. I just don't get the rumour mill gossip about possible future releases that might include something new but nobody knows for sure.

Malorian
11-07-2012, 16:12
It used to be a lot mroe useful when more info was leaked. GW has cracked down now and I have to agree with you that the section is less useless.

Good information still comes out though, and that's the place it's kept.

TheDungen
11-07-2012, 17:28
Have you considered that those people might lose their job if they reveal company secrets on the internet?

Wargamejunkie
11-07-2012, 17:46
Have you considered that those people might lose their job if they reveal company secrets on the internet?

How dare you put people above our hobby! Way to be "That Guy". ;)

Malorian
11-07-2012, 18:31

I would be interested to see the comparision of how well armies sold when they used to spoil pretty much everything, and now when they say nothing and toss it in your face in the last second.

I used to be pumped up for a realease for months, making sure I've setup my budget to buy what I want. Now I walk in and get surprised by a bunch of new fliers, look in my wallet, and walk away. The same feeling just isn't there.

yabbadabba
11-07-2012, 19:12
The Rumours forum keeps the real weirdos away from the rest of the site.

Ultimate Life Form
11-07-2012, 19:16

Who cares about that; the masses are calling for blood so in order to appease them heads must roll!

On a sidenote, yeah, when I joined basically entire army books were previewed in the rumors section months before release complete with page scans and shots of the new minis from all possible angles. I miss those glorious times. :cries:

Lordsaradain
11-07-2012, 19:17
I used to be pumped up for a realease for months, making sure I've setup my budget to buy what I want. Now I walk in and get surprised by a bunch of new fliers, look in my wallet, and walk away. The same feeling just isn't there.

I totally agree with this.
I originally registered on this site because of it's rumour section, which then had widespread reputation.

DaemonReign
11-07-2012, 19:22
Yeah the Rumour Section ain't what it used to be, that's for sure.
Not that it's effected my buying-habits in the slightest.
We still have the same 6 armies in our Group, we'll still buy silly amounts of whatever comes out for those Armies, and nothing for the others..
Doesn't matter if GW leaks it 2 years in advance or keeps a lid on it until release-day.
But they robbed us of a lot of casual Entertainment when they strangled the rumours, that's for sure. The Rumour section is mostly a giant lesson in off-topic bs now. Damn you GW.. Damn you..

T10
12-07-2012, 00:02
I would be interested to see the comparision of how well armies sold when they used to spoil pretty much everything, and now when they say nothing and toss it in your face in the last second.

I am sure lord dan can make a poll for that...

But, yeah: I can't see any obvious reason not to keep the community updated on what may come.

Maybe they actually fear competition from Mantic games and the other miniature companies that are riding on their coat-tails. But I can't see how this helps them: these companies seem to be into bulk models like zombies and stuff, the kind of core models that are already known core components in the army book regardless of the version. Mantic Games is hardly going to come up with a "Cathedral Chariot", a "Ghostborne Altar" or "Winged Riddler" to compete with the war altar, mortis engine or necrosphinx...

Any damage these leaks can do in this regard is either already done, or at best a few mobths down the road from the next release.

logan054
12-07-2012, 01:16

I thought that was what GW GD was for.....

Mastodon
12-07-2012, 09:41

So when you walk in and see something cool, whats stopping you from saving up from that point and just getting it a few weeks later? Are you that much a slave to the 'shiney new toy syndrome' that if you cant have it when its new, you dont want it?

My anecdotal evidence is that this new release policy helps me out quite a bit. I dont have customers coming in on say, Necron release day saying they're not going to be getting anything because Empire are out in 2 months. Those same customers would then say they're not getting anything on empire release day because theres a new 40k rulebook out 2 months later etc etc.

Ultimate Life Form
12-07-2012, 10:07
Well it was a bit like Christmas every time: a few months of thrill of anticipation and at release day the presents were finally under the tree and everyone was finally happy and overcome with joy.

These days, it's more like

"By the way, there's new stuff coming out next week."
"Oh really? What is ist?"
"It's a XXXXXXX."
"What is that?"
"We don't know either yet."
"????? Okay, didn't need it before, don't need it now."

I think it speaks volumes that the first time they really enforced this approach was the Beastmen release. A common conspiracy theory back then was that they knew the new models are rubbish and tried to keep them secret as long as possible. Upon revealing they were mostly met with ridicule and scorn (though I'm actually considering buying a finecast Pumbagor and helping it a bit just to show off how ridiculous it really looks). In consequence Beastmen was considered a major flop. I really would give a lot just to see the sales statistics at least once. And it would be interesting to make a study how much this new enforced secrecy helped ruin the sales figures. The thing is, the mofdels aren' really that bad; I've grown used to them by now. If they would have had time to grow on us before release, things ccould have been entirely different. But GW being GW probably got it backwards and thought it was because information policy still wasn't rigid enough, so we got what we have now - nothing.

blackcherry
12-07-2012, 10:26
It still has a purpose, though now that the rumours have dried up a bit, it does leave the forum (and as such lots of other 40k forums which get their news from warseer) open to abuse like the whole 'Ghostgate' event a while back.

Functionally though, it keeps traffic steady on warseer and funnels 90% of the rumour posts into one area, instead of those threads cluttering up the rest of the forum.

yabbadabba
12-07-2012, 17:36
I thought that was what GW GD was for..... Nahm, that's for the certifiable nutters :evilgrin:

Reinholt
12-07-2012, 21:51

And yet you and I have both posted in this thread.

yabbadabba
12-07-2012, 22:02
And yet you and I have both posted in this thread. We are the exception to the rule my friend ;)

Besides, I let myself down. I was looking through today's posst and didn't notice this was a GW GD thread. Would have avoided it it otherwise :shifty:

EmperorNorton
12-07-2012, 22:10
Are you that much a slave to the 'shiney new toy syndrome' that if you cant have it when its new, you dont want it?

Well, I know that I am.
New releases have the most appeal when they are indeed brand spanking new and shiney. If I don't get them at that point they usually are moved into the "I'll buy it eventually" category and in a lot of cases "eventually" turns to "never".

Mastodon
13-07-2012, 07:39
Well, I know that I am.
New releases have the most appeal when they are indeed brand spanking new and shiney. If I don't get them at that point they usually are moved into the "I'll buy it eventually" category and in a lot of cases "eventually" turns to "never".

But if you've known they're coming for at least a month, surely they arent brand new and shiney? As soon as they came out GW stores would have a new black box of new and shiney stuff that you cant buy yet.

Damien 1427
13-07-2012, 11:55

If they're caught, they would be. And being sacked because you either can't keep your mouth shut about client secrets (Because, IIRC, the books are bound by an outside firm? Or am I wrong in that? I know they're printed in China, but word was they were bound in the UK to avoid paying higher import taxes?) or even broke an NDA (Which I imagine any GW staff working close to upcoming projects have to sign) is going to be poison on your CV.

EmperorNorton
13-07-2012, 19:18
But if you've known they're coming for at least a month, surely they arent brand new and shiney? As soon as they came out GW stores would have a new black box of new and shiney stuff that you cant buy yet.

It doesn't work for me like that, because then I'd never actually buy anything.
And the opposite appears to have been the case for many years.

avien
13-07-2012, 20:44
So when you walk in and see something cool, whats stopping you from saving up from that point and just getting it a few weeks later? Are you that much a slave to the 'shiney new toy syndrome' that if you cant have it when its new, you dont want it?

My anecdotal evidence is that this new release policy helps me out quite a bit. I dont have customers coming in on say, Necron release day saying they're not going to be getting anything because Empire are out in 2 months. Those same customers would then say they're not getting anything on empire release day because theres a new 40k rulebook out 2 months later etc etc.

I never understand this argument. We know that DA and Chaos are coming out soon so sure we don't have the exact timeframes, but we have broad ideas that they will be in the next 6ish months. Personally I enjoyed the build up when rumours were around. It got me excited, the more I'd see of the new book and models (assuming I liked the army of course) the more I'd want to build an army. But now... Well now even when a new release comes along that I am interested in, there is no build up, no time to work up the army in my mind, so I tend to just get over the initial "oh, they're cool" and continue to build whatever I am working on.

The necron release was awesome- it brought back all the old feelings I had for new releases, jut a pity I don't like necrons :P