PDA

View Full Version : What would you like to see at a convention?

Dakkagor
12-07-2012, 14:04
So, you walk into a local convention that has been locally advertised. Its going to be a small convention, maybe 50-60 people or so every day over the course of a weekend. You walk up, open the doors, and. . . . in an ideal world, what do you see inside? What kind of things would you like to see on the schedule?

x-esiv-4c
12-07-2012, 16:10
A non-Euclidian dirigible hanger where yards of beer are served to you by golems composed of cats hapzardly stitched together.

nagash66
12-07-2012, 18:58
A non-Euclidian dirigible hanger where yards of beer are served to you by golems composed of cats hapzardly stitched together.

I could dig that.

But to the op i have to ask what type of convention is this? Warhammer? Movie? Comics? Fishing ( people still fish right?) ?

blackcherry
12-07-2012, 21:00
Thats a hard question to answer unless, like nagash66 says, we know what sort of convention it is. The closest I've been to going to one is GD(which I suppose is one) and those tournaments that also have areas for displays and stands like PAW. They seemed ok but I was there for a reason, so all the peripheral stuff passed me by.

BigbyWolf
13-07-2012, 09:17
A convention dedicated entirely to me.

Dakkagor
13-07-2012, 10:17

Let me get to work on that. . .

Lets say a gaming convention, so board games, card games, wargames.

Chaos and Evil
13-07-2012, 11:17
A demo table and sales stand for Troublemaker Games.

What?

AndrewGPaul
13-07-2012, 20:08
Based on all the better bits of the local shows I've been to, and assuming we mean a wargames show ...

A variety of well-presented participation games run by friendly, outgoing people. Ideally, games which have a unique theme, scenario or set of miniatures.
A good variety of interesting retail stalls - not just seven different stands selling the same GW, Warlord and Wargames Factory stuff. A small demo table wouldn't go amiss, if they're floggng a complete game.
Decent catering. Somewhere where I can get a good sandwich, a cup of tea and a scone, and somewhere where I can sit down to eat it.
Good lighting and environment.

Hrw-Amen
14-07-2012, 10:17
I would like to see a room that was not full of stinking unwashed teenage pimply people using bad language, wearing T-Shirts, jeans etc that have not been washed for a year and playing ridiculously loud death metal with artificial lighting and no air conditioning. (Or just windows that could not be opened.)

yabbadabba
14-07-2012, 10:24
Some good, communicative examples of the local hobby community. Its the best bit of any convention for me. The hobby is happening at the grass roots, not at the top.

canberraguy
14-07-2012, 20:52
I would like to see a room that was not full of stinking unwashed teenage pimply people using bad language, wearing T-Shirts, jeans etc that have not been washed for a year and playing ridiculously loud death metal with artificial lighting and no air conditioning. (Or just windows that could not be opened.)

I agree!! Exactly my first thoughts! Although it's not just teens stinking usually, lots of older blokes with questionable hygiene, at least at Aussie conventions ;)

Just a better face of gaming is what I would like to see i know a lot of people get put off gaming by the image of the unwashed gamer in an ancient metal tshirt. Let's make our hobby a little more accessible. If I was not a gamer and my son was keen and i walked into a convention hall i doubt I would be too keen for him to start.

Dakkagor
15-07-2012, 14:50
Thanks for the input so far. I'll make sure to hand out soap to all my demo guys.

Easy E
18-07-2012, 20:15
Nah, give them Fabreeze to cancel out the smell of others.

I'm also looking to try games I have not played before, find minis I have not seen before, and see/hear people talk about starting and succeeding as a games club..