PDA

View Full Version : dark elf crossbowman?

thelawl
14-07-2012, 23:03
can they move and fire?

Lorcryst
14-07-2012, 23:28
Using standard crossbows ? Nope.

But I don't have my Dark Elves army book with me (lent it to a friend), so I don't really know the rules of the "repeater handbow" that the pointy-eared darkies use ...

My army builder says : "range 24 inches, S3, Armour Piercing, Multiple Shot 2" ... no mention of "move or fire" there, while it is mentioned for the Dwarf Quarellers, for example ...

So I'd say, tentatively, that Dark Elves crossbowen can indeed move and fire, unless specified otherwise in the rules for repeater crossbows in their army book.

*EDIT*

The FAQ says, for the page 45 of the army book concerning the Repeater Handbows :

Ignore the second paragraph. Instead the Rules for the Repeater Handbow should read: “Rules: 2x Multiple Shots (4x Multiple Shots if used as a pair), Quick To Fire.”

kefkah
15-07-2012, 01:09
Repeater handbows is something corsairs can take with range of 8 only.

But yeah you can move and fire with repeater crossbows, since they dont have a rule in the armybook wich says you cant.

The bearded one
15-07-2012, 02:34
if something is not mentioned, always defer to the standard BRB rules.

And according to those rules, models with missileweapons van move and fire, but of course suffer a -1 to hit penalty for it.

kefkah
15-07-2012, 02:56
if something is not mentioned, always defer to the standard BRB rules.

And according to those rules, models with missileweapons van move and fire, but of course suffer a -1 to hit penalty for it.

Crossbow is in the BRB and there it is move or fire, but the rules for Repeater ( 24 range, DE speciall) in the armybook has no rule for move or fire so hence since its not stated in the DE book it can move and fire. Not all missileweapons can move and fire. Even in BRB

Agoz
15-07-2012, 06:11
a repeater crossbow is not a crossbow, it does not follow the rules for crossbows it follows the rules for repeater crossbows as listed in the dark elf army book, if the repeater crossbow block does not have the move or fire rule (and I don't believe it does) then they can move and fire.

Moss
15-07-2012, 18:57
Crossbow is in the BRB and there it is move or fire, but the rules for Repeater ( 24 range, DE speciall) in the armybook has no rule for move or fire so hence since its not stated in the DE book it can move and fire. Not all missileweapons can move and fire. Even in BRB

He's not saying that all missile weapons in the BRB allow the model to move and fire. His point is that models with missile weapons may move and fire unless noted otherwise.

The bearded one
15-07-2012, 20:42
He's not saying that all missile weapons in the BRB allow the model to move and fire. His point is that models with missile weapons may move and fire unless noted otherwise.

exactly.

I was not saying you should defer to regular crossbowrules.

The basic rule with shooting weapons is you can move and fire, with a -1 to hit penalty. This applies to all shooting weapons unless noted otherwise. The repeater crossbow for the dark elves does not note otherwise, so it can move and fire. Weapons such as handguns and normal crossbows explicitely note otherwise and so those don't. etc.

kefkah
15-07-2012, 21:05
exactly.

I was not saying you should defer to regular crossbowrules.

The basic rule with shooting weapons is you can move and fire, with a -1 to hit penalty. This applies to all shooting weapons unless noted otherwise. The repeater crossbow for the dark elves does not note otherwise, so it can move and fire. Weapons such as handguns and normal crossbows explicitely note otherwise and so those don't. etc.

Yeah my bad, read it in the wrong way

Mad-MaX
25-11-2012, 21:24
Do they get a -1 to hit when shooting with double bolts? In the preview
editions they did get a -1 to hit

Scalebug
25-11-2012, 21:36
Yes, "Multiple shot" is a further -1 to hit.

Lorcryst
25-11-2012, 21:44
Slight threadomancy, but on-topic nonetheless, so I'll answer :

Yes, they do get a -1 to hit using multiple shots, unless I'm sorely mistaken (don't have the book with me, but played against a DE army this afternoon) ...

So, in summary :

- Can move and shoot, but with a -1 penalty if moving
- Can Multiple Shot x2 (or x4 with a pair of Repeater Handbows), also with a -1 penalty
- Follows the standard rules for range, so another -1 penalty for Long Range

Worst case scenario : moved, long range, multiple shots => -3 to hit, with a BS of 4 for the "Core Troops", that means 6's to hit. But a single, minimum sized unit of Dark Elf Repeater Crossbowmen can still pump out 20 shots ...

Also note that Repeater Crossbows have a range of 24 inches; and that the Repeater Handbows that you can take for Masters/Dreadlords only have a range of 8 inches, don't suffer range penalties, and have Quick to fire (meaning that they can always "Stand and Shoot" even if the charging unit is inside its normal movement value).