PDA

View Full Version : Space marine tactical squads now better at taking out vehicles in hand to hand than

Chaos257
15-07-2012, 01:54
Genestealers ? Is this some sort of joke ? What the hell is going on with this game ? A large of the units in the game are becoming laughable. Not even fun, just laughable.

Other Xenos players, do you feel the same ?

The Marshel
15-07-2012, 09:59
why shouldn't tactical marines be better at taking out vehicles in cc then genestealers? Seriously, why is it so laughable or so terribly wrong if they are? Part of their standard equipment that they all carry is specifically designed to destroy vehicles in cc, where as vehicle hunting is hardly the primary role nor thematic purpose of genestealers.

More to the point though, are they really any better? 9 krak grenades, hitting on 3s needing 4s to glance vs a rough equivalent of 30 attacks, at s4 with rending. with most vehicles having back armour 10 the genestealers 20 hits ought to produce roughly 3 penetrations, which is at least a wreaked vehicle in most cases.

the krak grenades should see 6 hit and with a 50% chance of pen/glance take 3 hull points as well. granted the additional boost of a powerfist or meltbomb will boost this number, but once you've taken 3 hull points 90% of tanks are dead anyway. So while it would seem tactical squads are marginally better at killing tanks then the equivalent points in genestealers, I hardly think the difference makes genestealers laughable or tacts op. At the end of the day they're still both pretty likely to make a mess of a tank in CC, which isn't all that different to 5th ed.

In fact, they've both gotten a boost with vehicles now being hit on no worse then 3s. This isnt as big of a deal to marines who would rather shoot the tanks, but this is a big deal for genestealers. Instead of seeing this for what it is (a buff to genestealer's ability to kill tanks) you're immediately getting all worked up because tactical squads got slightly better at it too. No-one is going to deny the nid dex has problems, but i'm sure you'd have a much more enjoyable time if you stopped actively trying to make even more problems

t-tauri
15-07-2012, 11:39
Moved to 40k general. Please post in the appropriate forum.

Narf
15-07-2012, 12:18
You do realise that marines had krak grenades last edition too.

Neither codex has changed, both units have the same stats.

All that has changed is that vehicles are a little bit flimsier,

Rick Blaine
15-07-2012, 12:29
I fail to see why Genestealers should be all that great at killing tanks.

AngelofSorrow
15-07-2012, 13:00
I'm not sure why people keep falling for chaos257's blatant trolling. That's a better question.

Ready for eternal war!

Dylius
15-07-2012, 14:04
I'm not sure why people keep falling for chaos257's blatant trolling. That's a better question.

Ready for eternal war!

Indeed. How many threads are we up to now?

PANZERBUNNY
15-07-2012, 15:51
Genestealers should be anti infantry. The fact their razor claws can rip metal apart is a secondary kindness.

Marines are loaded with anti-vehicle weapons and know where to place them.

Who wins out on vehicle blasty goodness? Trained marines in anti-armour warfare or semi brainless aliens out to murder and kill?

Sexiest_hero
15-07-2012, 17:13
Hey now, genestealers are pretty smart actually, up there with primes and tyrants.

PANZERBUNNY
15-07-2012, 17:49
Was it purestrains that had animal instincts and their offspring gained intelligence from the host species, with the intelligence getting worse the further you go along? I can't remember.

Perhaps I'm thinking of Hybrids.

hobojebus
15-07-2012, 23:36
You know why no officer in their right minds takes tanks into urban areas without infantry support? because other infantry will destroy your million pound machine quite easily.

If a tank cant kill you at range its screwed, a few grenades can cripple its tracks beyond repair and a well placed RPG into its rear will destroy it.

Its very realistic that infantry can kill a tank at close range with grenades.

Chem-Dog
15-07-2012, 23:49
Was it purestrains that had animal instincts and their offspring gained intelligence from the host species, with the intelligence getting worse the further you go along? I can't remember.

Perhaps I'm thinking of Hybrids.

You seem to be a bit muddled. Genestealers' reproductive cycle is the Hybrids. The first generations are bestial and they become more in tune with (and visually similar to) the host species as the generations go on.
This isn't to say a Purestrain Genestealer is is a dumbass though, it just means it won't be operating machinery, writing notes to others or....doing anything except Kill-Lurking (perhaps a bit of Lurk-Killing to mix it up) it will, however, hunt you, predict your movements and ambush you just after you thought you got away. Cunning.

TheMav80
16-07-2012, 10:00
You seem to be a bit muddled. Genestealers' reproductive cycle is the Hybrids. The first generations are bestial and they become more in tune with (and visually similar to) the host species as the generations go on.
This isn't to say a Purestrain Genestealer is is a dumbass though, it just means it won't be operating machinery, writing notes to others or....doing anything except Kill-Lurking (perhaps a bit of Lurk-Killing to mix it up) it will, however, hunt you, predict your movements and ambush you just after you thought you got away. Cunning.

Clever girls.

:P

the_picto
16-07-2012, 10:00
Just to feed the troll. 10 marines will buy you 10 adrenal gland genestealers. So you are comparing 10 S6 attacks with 30 S5 rending attacks. Are tactical squads really better at taking out a vehicle? Can tactical marines touch armour 14 with their grenades?

A.T.
16-07-2012, 10:28
10 anything with krak grenades will out just about any vehicle short of a landraider with average rolls, regardless of how far it's moved.

Mobs of grots, gaunts, and conscripts with thermite grenades in spearhead games are pretty dominant now - vehicles have near enough zero survivability in close combat so 'who is better' is largely irrelevant.

Chem-Dog
16-07-2012, 17:41
Clever girls.

:D :D :D :yes: I tried to find a good version of that clip on Youtube to put in there as a link, it was exactly what I was thinking when I was typing that out.