PDA

View Full Version : Allies or Double FOC?

boogle
15-07-2012, 12:11
So if you are wanting to play 2000 points plus, do you select allies or would you expand on your own force by doubling your FOC?

discuss

Poncho160
15-07-2012, 12:13
Because I play Tyranids, I only have one option!! haha But with an expanded FOC in elites Nids can actually have a lots more options.

IAMNOTHERE
15-07-2012, 12:28
With Daemons adding so much to CSM I'm allying up as we speak.

Double FOC I might do about 3000pts but I can get to 2500 without breaking a sweat,

Rick Blaine
15-07-2012, 12:31
Double FOC with Orks and Marines any day. CSM would take Daemons, obviously.

boogle
15-07-2012, 12:54
CSM and IG better than CSM and Daemons?

KitKat
15-07-2012, 13:11
I'm actually planning on doubling the FoC and using a relatively small allies detachment

Gaargod
15-07-2012, 14:25
Irritate the hell out of people - play IG with 4 individual vendettas (i.e. double FOC with the new most hated unit), and 2 allies - Grey Knights and Daemons of Chaos. For giggles.

carldooley
15-07-2012, 14:44
I play guard, and I have to say that using a double FOC has been rather difficult, personally. On the gripping hand, allies add a crapload of punch to my armies. Mephiston in a stormraven is my usual ally of choice, because he can survive the disembark when it gets blown out of the sky (and usually straight into combat).

Rick Blaine
15-07-2012, 14:51

I don't caaaaare.

Eldoriath
15-07-2012, 15:10
As tau I still want some allied units that can actuallt go to the enemy side of the table and capture objectives. So yeah, allies still used. With my IG I'd probably also use allies since I don't have all that many heavy support units to begin with. And with my Fallen I'd probably just expand on more terminators since an allied force for them just feels wrong.

MajorWesJanson
15-07-2012, 17:18
Irritate the hell out of people - play IG with 4 individual vendettas (i.e. double FOC with the new most hated unit), and 2 allies - Grey Knights and Daemons of Chaos. For giggles.

Allied detachments have to come from the same book. I made the same mistake too at first.

PANZERBUNNY
15-07-2012, 17:57
Not sure why you can take allied characters.

Would make sense to leave characters to their parent army and only allow standard, non-unique troops.

Such is life though.

Sons of Lorgar
15-07-2012, 17:58
I'm just going to field my mutant guard with their Word Bearer overlords a lot more, also when playing WB as primary I'll use deamon models for what they really are and use my metal Vampire-counts ghouls as summoned generic lesser daemons for the TG/WB combo.

Olith
15-07-2012, 19:18

Would make sense to leave characters to their parent army and only allow standard, non-unique troops.

Such is life though.

There is a lot of emphasis on heroes and narrative play with this edition and limiting allies in that way would go against that.

Sons of Lorgar
15-07-2012, 20:11
And besides, how would we be able to watch a commissar execute an SM named character for cowarrdice without the option of taking allied chars?

Max_Killfactor
15-07-2012, 20:24
Allies for a jetbike farseer and some rangers.

owen matthew
15-07-2012, 21:01
I'd go for second detachment over allies any day. I really hate the new ally rules. Its all moot, I love playing at 1500, its a much more solid, faster game. IMHO.

Charistoph
16-07-2012, 00:05

Not legal. As mentioned before, only one Ally per army. You can double the allowance of Allies at 2000+ points, though.

Such is life though.

No rule against it, at least no more than there are for special characters for the Primary force.

So if you are wanting to play 2000 points plus, do you select allies or would you expand on your own force by doubling your FOC?

discuss

Why should one have to choose? There are no limitations for this.

As a side note, if you have both, you're looking at at 4 HQs and 6 Troop units before anything else hits the table for your army. For some armies, this is not a difficulty or a hard ship, while for others it can be a serious handicap.

boogle
16-07-2012, 00:52
my point was what do you prefer.

Chem-Dog
16-07-2012, 02:06

In short, though both forces have something to offer to CSM's when being allied, the Daemons gain the slight advantage overall by virtue of the fact they are Battle Brothers and not Allies of Convenience like IG.

Anyway, to answer the initial question. I would stick with a single FOC past 2k points when using my Steel Legion, I have plenty of spare slots and no need of the extras.

My Renegade IG (when done) would love an additional FOC, I would be able to take multiple Primaris Psykers and still have room for my supreme commander and take lots more Sentinels which is a big thematic hook for them.

My Chaos Space Marines will be allying with my Daemons while they are growing and will eventually be the main army with Daemonic Allies. Or my Renegade Guard will stand in from time to time, the three were intended to be interchangeable (or complementary) at the Apocalypse level, I see no reason not to extend that back the other way to smaller forces.