PDA

View Full Version : Nobody wants to play Space Hulk :(

Turrican1983
15-07-2012, 16:04
I've had Space Hulk for a good few years now. My set is fully painted and I know the rules really well.
But for some reason no matter how hard I try or how fun I try and make it for my friends they're just not interested.
It just makes me really sad, because now I have no one to play :cries:

I'm actually thinking of selling my copy at this rate...

Was wondering if anyone else had similar problems?

Eldoriath
15-07-2012, 16:20
Well, kinda. It's not a bad game, but since it's only for 2 players and takes a bit of time to play a round it's not your avarage pick-up game of choice.

You could always try and play against yourself? ^^
What I've done is that I use the terminators for my regular 40k army. When I bought the set I suspectedm I werent going to play much space hulk, bur that I at least could use the termies.

Veteran Sergeant
15-07-2012, 16:21
Eh, between my friends and I, I think we have five sets of tiles and certainly more than enough miniatures to play on a large floor.

But we only play once every couple of years, lol. Maybe try going to the LGS and drumming up some people to play?

Edit: You can easily play some Space Hulk missions with 3-4 or more people. Just divvy up the blips, and split the control of the Termi squads.

Senbei
15-07-2012, 16:49
Edit: You can easily play some Space Hulk missions with 3-4 or more people. Just divvy up the blips, and split the control of the Termi squads.

And dig out the rules for Traitor Terminators.

LonelyPath
15-07-2012, 17:05
You can also write up rules for different forces in SH, it is very simple to do and can add some fun options to the game. There's nothing like seeing a bunch of Orks, Necrons, Grey KNights, regular SM or even Eldar or Guard in SH. Jusrt have a go at writing some up, playtest them andwrite up new missions for extra campaigns. We've done this since SH1E back in 1989 and never stopped!

Turrican1983
16-07-2012, 09:41
Yeah, screw it, I'm going to take some pretty photos and list it on eBay.
I've tried taking it down the club, making it interesting, trying to get lots of players involved, but people just won't move away from the core games.

I may as well sell it for a small fortune and play the Space Hulk point and click game I got off tearsdown.se years ago...even if the CPU is a cheating bastard! lol

Wishing
16-07-2012, 09:52
"Taking it down the club" doesn't seem to me to be the ideal way to play SH to me to be honest, being a 2-player boardgame it seems more suited to playing in your own living room rather than a club atmosphere to me. And you only need one other person to play it - how about asking one of your non-warhammer friends? I mean, the core GW games are so different from SH that there is no reason to only ask GW geeks to play it. With warhammer you need your own armies, gaming tables and terrain - with SH, all you need is a dining table, the box comes with everything else. Getting someone to play a boardgame with you shouldn't really be that hard. Just think of it like chess or backgammon rather than warhammer.

Turrican1983
16-07-2012, 11:49
"Taking it down the club" doesn't seem to me to be the ideal way to play SH to me to be honest, being a 2-player boardgame it seems more suited to playing in your own living room rather than a club atmosphere to me. And you only need one other person to play it - how about asking one of your non-warhammer friends? I mean, the core GW games are so different from SH that there is no reason to only ask GW geeks to play it. With warhammer you need your own armies, gaming tables and terrain - with SH, all you need is a dining table, the box comes with everything else. Getting someone to play a boardgame with you shouldn't really be that hard. Just think of it like chess or backgammon rather than warhammer.

Yep, I've tried everything.
Also, its too complex for casual family board gaming. I'd never get my girlfriend to play it for example.

It can go on eBay at the end of the month.
Someone else might as well enjoy my beautifully painted set and give me lots of money for it

Iskandar
16-07-2012, 12:01
You can also write up rules for different forces in SH, it is very simple to do and can add some fun options to the game. There's nothing like seeing a bunch of Orks, Necrons, Grey KNights, regular SM or even Eldar or Guard in SH. Jusrt have a go at writing some up, playtest them andwrite up new missions for extra campaigns. We've done this since SH1E back in 1989 and never stopped!

Aye someone already codified a lot of Xeno / Non-Space Marine Imperial forces in the Space Hulk Bible which is also a good way of getting non Space Marine players into the game. Also, the game is not just limited to two players: you can play with a group of people quite easily. I tend to find the promise of free beer and pizza goes a long way to getting people to try out new games.

samiens
16-07-2012, 12:13
My girlfriend (now wife) got into the hibby because I played Space Hulk with her- its actually very simple to pick up in my experience!

Commissar Davis
16-07-2012, 13:39
Given that there are a few people here from London, why not ask if they want a game? You are to far off for me to make it for a game. I am sure my bike would not like me for it if I tried to get to London and back in a day.

Max_Killfactor
16-07-2012, 16:09
You could always try and play against yourself? ^^

I recommend this, then you always win! ;)

samiens
16-07-2012, 18:59
I live in London and am always up for playing som Hulk!

Lord Inquisitor
16-07-2012, 19:07
I personally wouldn't sell it. It's a great board game, it is a fantastic way to introduce people to wargaming in general too. You'll find someone to play it with you sooner or later. Then again, it is probably worth a heap, especially if nicely painted ... but it doesn't really devalue unless GW puts out a new version so I wouldn't sell it unless you're certain.