PDA

View Full Version : Which Psyker schools can each army access?

Desalbert
15-07-2012, 23:23
So I'm coming back to 40,000 after an extended stay in Fantasy and I'm pleased to see that Psyker powers seem to be taking a route similar to Warhammer Fantasy schools of magic. However, though the rulebook for 6th showcases several new schools, how do I know which factions have access to which schools? It seems like a glaring ommission for the book.

Chem-Dog
15-07-2012, 23:33
http://imgur.com/a/Jq5vv#0

It's omitted because the Codexes will, in time, cover it.
The Card Deck has a table (the one I liked to) and it's also in the current WD.
I think it's a shame the info wasn't included on the FAQ's but hey ho.

Desalbert
15-07-2012, 23:44
http://imgur.com/a/Jq5vv#0

It's omitted because the Codexes will, in time, cover it.
The Card Deck has a table (the one I liked to) and it's also in the current WD.

Thanks so much, the link was exactly what I needed!

Dangersaurus
16-07-2012, 07:08

It's in the FAQs as well, just not in table form.

Grocklock
16-07-2012, 07:14
Each army faq details what schools of psychic they can choose from. but if you wish a table there is the link above or you could buy the WD or the psychic cards

Konovalev
16-07-2012, 14:25
On this note, why don't codex: space marines have access to divination? In their current codex they can take some similar powers such as nullzone. I guess they'll be losing that one next book...

loveless
16-07-2012, 14:38
I actually rather like the psychic cards...so consider this a positive endorsement for them (and they're in a case big enough to hold the inevitable army-specific cards).

The entire decision of who gets what is odd, though - standard Space Marines don't have Divination, but every psyker-using divergent chapter does. I was also a bit surprised that Eldar didn't have across-the-board access, though maybe the more violent schools don't mesh with the Farseer outlook.

I still like the system, though - one of my favorite 6th-from-5th changes.

Thanatos_elNyx
16-07-2012, 15:11
I like the cards, but they are quite large, so it may be difficult to get sleeves for them. :(

Lord Damocles
16-07-2012, 15:33
July's White Dwarf (US 390, UK 391) contains the table and explains which models can take the rulebook powers, and how many of them.

Chem-Dog
16-07-2012, 16:52
It's in the FAQs as well, just not in table form.

I squinted and squinted and gave up and used the table. Glad it's in there though :)

The entire decision of who gets what is odd, though - standard Space Marines don't have Divination, but every psyker-using divergent chapter does. I was also a bit surprised that Eldar didn't have across-the-board access, though maybe the more violent schools don't mesh with the Farseer outlook.

I reckon it should be considered a place holder list, specific decks seem inevitable and the Psyker system in general look like it's a foundation for something much more complex.

I still like the system, though - one of my favorite 6th-from-5th changes.

Ditto.

Aluinn
16-07-2012, 17:09
On this note, why don't codex: space marines have access to divination? In their current codex they can take some similar powers such as nullzone. I guess they'll be losing that one next book...

Null Zone doesn't represent foreseeing where the enemy will be in order to hit them better; it represents psychically monkeying with their force fields in a very telekinetic way. If you meant Force Dome (the one that grants a 5++), same deal, in the reverse. Neither are about seeing the (very near) future, fluffwise, which is what Divination is, but are about creating or disrupting energy barriers.

On the other hand, when Divination grants a 4++, this represents the psyker seeing what the enemy will do and warning the unit about it so they can get out of the way, much like the Eldar's Fortune. In fact, Divination powers and some Eldar Farseer powers are extremely similar in fluff terms (though Mind War would be Telepathy and Eldritch Storm either Pyromancy or Telekinesis, the latter two of which they don't get ... but never mind that :)), but Eldar are known for using psychic ability to see the future; Marines, not so much.

I think it makes perfect sense that Marines have access to what they do. Telekinesis and Biomancy are by far the most like their previous set of powers (most have analogues, and some are pretty much exactly the same, cf Telekine Dome=Force Dome, Smite, The Gate of Infinity, etc.) so really I would say their access to anything more at all is generous in fluff terms.

Craftworld
16-07-2012, 17:40
but Eldar are known for using psychic ability to see the future; Marines, not so much.

Some of the options are a bit off, though. For instance, Ahriman - and the Thousand Sons - are masters of Divination and Biomancy, but have no codex representation of this, if we check the chart. And Eldar not having telekinesis? Some of these choices make about as much sense as the alliance system.

ehlijen
17-07-2012, 04:22
I squinted and squinted and gave up and used the table. Glad it's in there though :)

It's in the sections detailing every psyker's master level. It's also more accurate in that it details which spefic psyker gets which schools and how many. And if a psykers is not listed in the FAQ, he doesn't get any access to the new powers (I believe warlocks and librarian dreads fall into this).