PDA

View Full Version : Why are the Dark Angels more inclined to wroking with the Necrons?

Grok
16-07-2012, 05:28
Why are the Dark Angels more inclined to wroking with the Necrons then any other chapter? I just looked at the new 6th rulebook at the section for allies and noticed that the only space marine chapter that can work as "Allies of Convenience" with the Necrons. Why is that? I'm unfemiliar with the new Dark Angels fluff.
I was kinda hoping I could make some Iron Fist - like marines working with my Necrons as they were fascinated by thier machine bodies. But no luck, it has to be Dark Angels :P

Polaria
16-07-2012, 06:31
Dark Angels are desperate allies for Necrons. Only Chaos Space Marines, Grey Knights, Orks and Tau are allies of convenience.

Grok
16-07-2012, 10:53
Must have misread the chart, my bad. Thread can be closed :/

Lord Damocles
16-07-2012, 15:27
The allies chart appears to be largely arbitrary anyway.

Factions which you would expect to - or have been shown to - work alongside each other either can't, or face restrictions; while factions which have no logical business fighting alongside one another can.

Reading too much into any of the relationships in the chart is probably dangerous.

Messiah
16-07-2012, 16:51
The Dark Angels cooperate daily with xenos anyway: The Watchers. Whats another xenos against the hordes of chaos?

Mag-El
16-07-2012, 17:20
I donīt find it hard at all to belive if this would lead them to the fallen.

Muad'Dib
16-07-2012, 17:23
Hunting the Fallen would be the explanation I'd bet on. Also, remember that Necrons were retconned into being largely human-like in their mindset and possibilities of communicating with them. So, seeing that Dark Angels are prepared to destroy a Black Templars cruiser (I'm not sure if it was a cruiser, but it was definitely a noticeable force of Templars that 'dissapeared') when it relates to the Fallen, I wouldn't put it beyond them to broker an agreement with Necrons if it meant getting one step forward in the hunt.

Gorbad Ironclaw
17-07-2012, 16:35
I doubt they would honour any deal they made if they had a reasonable expectation that they could destroy the force the evidence of the deal/their presence. Whatever that is destroying paper records or wiping out a force of humans or aliens doesn't matter.

The bearded one
17-07-2012, 17:10
The allies chart appears to be largely arbitrary anyway.

Factions which you would expect to - or have been shown to - work alongside each other either can't, or face restrictions; while factions which have no logical business fighting alongside one another can.

As I haven't studied the chart that well yet, which factions that you'd expect to work together can't do so?

Lord Damocles
17-07-2012, 17:50
You'd certainly expect that all Imperial factions would get along with each other at least as well as they get along with Xenos factions. Black Templars have a better level of alliance with Eldar than Sisters of Battle, for example, despite being particularly known for their hatred of witches.

Tyranids being able to ally with anything would seem to make as much sense as some of the other matchups. Necrons can team up with Sisters of Battle, but you can't put some Genestealers in your Guard army, or have Dark Eldar using captured beasts - both of which have at least some background justification.

The table seems to be allowing alliances based on extremely unlikely/rare possible scenarios - Necrons don't always kill everyone, so let's have them able to ally with most factions - while disallowing other such scenarios - Space Wolves and Chaos Marines (Red Corsairs), for example.

Any faction can be justified fighting alongside almost any other faction if willing to rely on rather tenuous plot hooks/unsubstantial background references; which is what many of the matchups seem to do - Necrons and Blood Angels I can see (just), but there's very little justification for Necrons and vanilla Marines - but the chart only appears to be willing to use these hooks/references/excuses for a selection of the possible matchups.

For example, Necrons are Allies of Convenience with Chaos Marines. The only background (beyond potential handwavian excuse plots (eg. Mindshackal Scarabs)) which would support this is one version of a legend from Dark Heresy (pg.343). Yet there was also the (not very subtle) suggestion that the Necrons were either manipulating or controlling Tyranids during the Medusa V campaign, but they can't ally with them at all.

Boreal
18-07-2012, 19:59
if it meant getting one step forward in the hunt.

From a fluff point of view I hope the incoming new DA codex actually moves the progress for the hunt forwards. It would be nice if they had rounded up most of them and were just looking for Cypher and the Lion sword.

As for the Necrons working with the DA I can only imagine this would happen when a 'Fallen' was involved or if they shared a common big enemy such as a nids invasion.

Harwammer
21-07-2012, 14:09
Firstly, I agree the table is pretty wonky. I do have a couple of counterpoints though.

Black Templars have a better level of alliance with Eldar than Sisters of Battle, for example, despite being particularly known for their hatred of witches. Isn't it specifically human witches they hate? The entire psyker antipathy of the imperium is due the dangers of untrained human psykers. Eldar Farseers are a different kettle of fish.

Necrons can team up with Sisters of Battle, but you can't put some Genestealers in your Guard army, or have Dark Eldar using captured beasts - both of which have at least some background justification. I think there is a bit of a difference (fluffwise) between having a genestealer cultist army to a Tyranid army allying with an IG army. I guess the allies table is for allies; not cross over armies.

Lord Damocles
21-07-2012, 19:12
Isn't it specifically human witches they hate? The entire psyker antipathy of the imperium is due the dangers of untrained human psykers. Eldar Farseers are a different kettle of fish.
I can't see anything in the current Templar Codex which specifies human psykers. However: 'Such is the sacred revulsion in which Black templars hold witches and warlocks that they will never fight alongside such abominations...' etc. etc. except Grey Knights (pg.23).

Besides which, the Eldar are Xenos, whereas Sisters are at least human.

I think there is a bit of a difference (fluffwise) between having a genestealer cultist army to a Tyranid army allying with an IG army. I guess the allies table is for allies; not cross over armies.
Sure, a Carnifex alongside your Russes doesn't a fluffy army make; but then neither does Guard teaming up with Chaos Marines/Daemons, which is presumably included to allow for Traiter Guardsmen/Lost and Damned.

Again, the table seems to allow some such scenarios, but not others.

It should, of course, be noted that the 6th edition allies table isn't the first or only time that such oddities have occured. The Apocalypse and doubles tournament tables are/were just as perculiar in some areas (the latter being slightly more justified for the sake of balance).